More threads by aggiejulie12

Reaction score
We have a competitor who is using our trademark in their GMB name. When we try and report it as a legal violation, GMB only offers the option to report copyright infringement, not trademark infringement, which is an issue because trademark and copyright are two different types of intellectual property. Google has other forms for trademark issues (for example in Google Ads). Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Since it’s a trademark issue, you should contact a lawyer. They will be able to contact Google to correct the issue.

Yes - it's our lawyers that asked the question about the form. Is there a better way to have them reach out?

This happens to my client a lot. Their trademark is a phrase their industry uses a lot.

So our first step was to reached out to the competitor to inform them of the trademark. 75% of them removes it instantly.

The remaining 25%, we follow up with email/letter. And add what our actions if TM is not removed within a month.

15% remove them. The rest, we go to our lawyer.

Surprised your lawyers didn't recommend just sending a cease/desist to them.

You may be able to use the redressal form since it's not technically allowed to be a part of their GMB name according to Google's GMB TOS.

Well, we never really consult them until we are left with that as the last option. 2 reasons - (1) the company wants to do good faith with the competitors. Conversation is better than aggressive action, if it will work. It's just their culture. (2) Lawyer fees cost a lot.

If your trademark is not part of their Business Names (as defined by Google), have you tried reporting their name?

Totally agree. I just figured if you're at the point of contacting a lawyer, those had been tried already :)

I have not. I personally do not ever use the redressal form as I don't report people. My stance on that might be changing but I've always felt like I would rather beat someone out in rankings than try to take them down. As I said, that may be changing in my mind as time goes on.

However, I know a lot of the pros use this as a strategy and they know all about how to do that. One of them hopefully will chime in on the thread and give you their experience. It's a valid tactic since they're breaking TOS. I just don't use it personally.

I understand your stance on it.

I created a system where I try to edit their information 5 times. Just a guess - but at least 50% of them gets the change. But after the 5th time, I use the Redressal form.

BUT I used to stress myself by looking at ALL listings (above to way below our listing - including the 50th listing). Now, I just use it for spam that is above our listings. Less stress, less work. So at the end, I use the Redressal form once or twice only per month with my system.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom