More threads by Matt Chauhan

Matt Chauhan

Reaction score
We are working with a client who has a helicopter tour agency in, let's say, city A. His Google Business Profile is created by the name of City A Helicopter Tours and his website URL is cityAhelicoptertour.com

His local pack rankings are very very good and he is ranking at the top spots locally for all his money terms.

Now, the client wants to open a new location (in City B) for his business which is around 60 miles away from city A.

Q1- Which practices we should follow for his new GBP in city B? (We are uncertain about the Title/Name of Google Business Profile)

Q2- Would it be worth creating a new website for City B and optimizing it for the new location?

Q3- Any other things we should keep in mind? What suggestions shall we present to our client?

Q2- Would it be worth creating a new website for City B and optimizing it for the new location?
Hi Matt, I think it really depends on how much competition you have in City B for helicopter tours. If there is minimal or no competition, then you'd probably be just fine with a localized landing page on the existing site. If it is highly competitive, then a 2nd website with unique and optimized local content throughout the site would be justifiable. We have a client in the urgent care walk-in industry, with over 20 locations in three different states. We have unique websites for each location with unique thick local content on each website. This has resulted in the client outperforming brands national brands, such as CVS and Walgreens, competing in the same market. It requires a significant amount more work when launching new locations and more ongoing maintenance, but this strategy has worked very well for us/them. In your case, with just one additional location, it shouldn't take too much time to launch a 2nd site. Even if there is little/no competition, it may be worthwhile to have a 2nd site to be proactive in the event a competitor does come to market in City B.

Thanks, Jeff! This is really helpful. What about the Google Business Profile? Shall we create a new GBP for the new location of the business with the same old name and new address?

Hey Matt, if the new location meets the GBP guidelines then definitely I would create an additional profile for that city. Being that the first location is 60 miles away, there is virtually no way that you'd rank on the local pack w/o a GBP for City B.

Hey Matt, if the new location meets the GBP guidelines then definitely I would create an additional profile for that city. Being that the first location is 60 miles away, there is virtually no way that you'd rank on the local pack w/o a GBP for City B.
Cool. It means that we can create a new GBP with the same old business name but a different address and a new website as a landing page.

Hi Jeff and everyone! Circling back on this. For now, we just created a new page on the website and that seems to be working well for the client.

However, he has now come up with another idea. Our client is now a certified trainer and wants to include charter, aerial, and flight instruction services. He is insisting on creating a new website and GBP for promoting these services but we don't recommend it because of starting with scratch. We think that capitalizing on the current website and GBP, which already have high authority can be more fruitful. I would really appreciate some expert advice here and enlighten me on what to do and how to proceed further with that.

Hey Matt, hope you are doing well! Originally, your helicopter tour client was in City A and looking to expand his tour business in City B which was roughly 60 miles away. A few questions:
  1. Did you create a new GBP in City B for helicopter tours?
  2. Are you planning on creating a new website in City B or did you opt for a city specific page on the original size created for City A?
  3. Will the client's proposed new business be in City A, City B, or both?
  4. Did the client register a new business name for the new training/instruction services company?
Thanks,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

1- No, we did not.
2- We opted for a city-specific page on the original site created for City A.
3- City A only.
4- No. The client did not register a new business name.

Hi Matt, so in summary it sounds like this will just be in City A and the client is wanting to essentially launch a new business, with a new website and GBP?

First off, if you go the route of a new GBP you need to have a legally licensed business under that name as @hajnasiewicz pointed out earlier in this post.

Our client is now a certified trainer and wants to include charter, aerial, and flight instruction services. He is insisting on creating a new website and GBP for promoting these services but we don't recommend it because of starting with scratch.

There may be very good value in having a new GBP and website but it really depends on the competition level for those categories of business in your area. We've not had experience with aviation clients, but my initial thoughts, those are fundamentally different categories of businesses: "helicopter tours" or "helicopter charter" versus "flight school". Doing a quick google search in larger metro areas, the local/organic results are extremely different when searching for tour/charter versus flight school/instruction. Again, you may be able to make it work for your client with the same GBP and website if there isn't much competition in your area.

It would be interesting to get other's thoughts on this. My initial feedback based on the limited info about your market (potential audience, keyword volume and competition levels) are:
  1. If low competition, propose to client to add the additional GBP category of "flight school" to existing profile and add a very well written landing page for flight instruction. Also, make sure to have appropriate internal linking to the new page. Wouldn't hurt to go back thru existing citations and include the new category of business. Again, if there is low competition, then you should be able to rank for the new business category fairly quickly.
  2. If high competition or potential new competition for "flight school", personally I'd go with separate businesses and create new GBP and website, especially if your client is willing to pay for those services separately going forward.
I hope this helps and maybe you'll get feedback from other members :)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom