NeptuneMoon

Reaction score
Anyone heard of Google calling businesses to "verify" their Maps/Local listings and if you don't take the call your listing might get suspended? Sounds kinda fishy to me, but I figured I'd ask you all.

Thanks!

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Anyone heard of Google calling businesses to "verify" their Maps/Local listings and if you don't take the call your listing might get suspended? Sounds kinda fishy to me, but I figured I'd ask you all.

There are definitely moderators that DO call and if you answer wrong OR if they call 3 times and don't get an answer they will sometimes delete the listing.

However there are also scammers that make calls like the one Dusty linked to.

Key is most calls that are really from Google come from the 650 area code. So if it's 650 and they ask about anything related to location or ask if you see customers at your location or anything, then it's Google. Google mods also often, have Indian accents, but not always.

So those are some hints to help you tell the difference.

But Google does not use robo-callers and will not ask for password or try to sell you on anything or get you to pay for anything. They also never talk about ranking or visibility or 7 packs.

If they call it's only for quality control to be sure you are a real business and located where you say you are.

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
I'm SO glad that I discovered this forum. I keep getting calls like this. I just got one today, from "Ranking Company" (caller ID) at 323-429-4415. It offers the choice of pressing 1 to "verify" our listing or 7 to be removed from their list. I pressed 7 of course. Now, the interesting thing is that I did that a week ago when I got the same call from the same number.

It's a shame but people get tricked by this enough that it is worthwhile for the scammers to continue doing it, I suppose. <sigh>

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Yes those robo-callers are running rampant! Makes it so much harder for honest local search consultants.

HurricaneK8

Reaction score
I got a "scammy" call yesterday. I picked up the phone "Good Morning, Avalanche Search Marketing, This is Kate speaking" and they answered really slowly with a pencil scratching in the background "You said 'Avalanche....Search... Marketing'?"..... I immediately rolled my eyes, which I'm pretty sure he could hear through the phone.

The conversation went on a bit "So you guys do marketing then?" "Search engine marketing? Is that SEO?"....

I asked who was calling and he immediately said "Is the 'BIG BOSS' in?" and I said "No, but I can take a message and have him call you back when he is available." and he asked for his name, and said he would call back... I told him that if he called back, he would reach me so the best way to get in contact with him is to tell me who was calling & give me a number and I'd have him call me back.

He said he'd call back later and try to reach him then... (obviously ignoring what I just said, he'd reach me-- not the 'big boss'...).

I expect a call back any day offering some STELLAR services....

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter Bank employee gives customer's business negative Google Review after frustrating phone call Local Reviews 1
Phil Rozek New naming policies for call-only ads - would be nice if applied to Google My Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Gsmithmike What is called duplicates in Google Local Business? Help & Support for Google Local 1
Linda Buquet Phone Calls Now Being Tracked by Google My Business Insights Google My Business & Google Maps 22
Weve Got Your Customers Google Maps Calls Businesses With Address Hidden? Local Search 2
M Google+ Local for Franchise based service business with Call center Help & Support for Google Local 7
Chris Ratchford Google Analytics - setting up goals for click-to-call Organic SEO 2
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Caroline Call Now Button Disappeared on Google Posts Mobile? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
K Fake Google calls Spam on Google 2
djbaxter CallJoy: Why did Google Call it Joy? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 8
M How Does Google Calculate Call Only Ad Charges? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
M Google Ads Defaulting to Account Level Call Reporting on 9-9-19 Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
V Is There A Way To Avoid Google Confirmation Text/Calls? Local Search 5
JoshuaMackens Dynamic Number Swapping (Call Tracking) Being Crawled By Google On Website Local Search 20
hajnasiewicz Google Assistant Calls - manually opt out Multi-Location Issues 5
AndiFox Google Insights Reported Calls. Is is accurate? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Tim Colling Rude call from Google employee (?) and moved office gets marked as closed Local Search 5
JustinB PPC Being Replaced with Call Google? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J No Call Backs From Google Support Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet Plagued by Google Local SCAM Calls? There's a Hangout for That! Google My Business & Google Maps 1
B Just got 2 calls from Google Map Call center in India Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Google Announces Local Phone # Call Forwarding for AdWords Google My Business & Google Maps 0
V Updated address, never showed, called to fix. forced to google+ Disapeared Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Jamie Steigerwald Robo Calls to new Google+ listings Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Eric Rohrback Working around a Call Center for Google listings Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet Important QA & Google Update Conference Call - 4 "Local Pro" Training Clients Local Search 5
Linda Buquet Google Support Call and 4 Hours on FREAKING SUITE #! Mod Squad 4
M First Google Support Call Help & Support for Google Local 8
djbaxter Don't Try To Fix Your Google Maps Listing Yourself, Call Google? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Chris Ratchford A month after phone call with Google rep- still no action? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
G Moderted from: Google places issues and the dreaded 650 phone call Recycle Bin 0
L Call From Google Maps - Deleted? Help & Support for Google Local 40
Linda Buquet Google+ Local Phone Support - Run Down of My 1st Support Call Google My Business & Google Maps 6
R Moderted from: Google places issues and the dreaded 650 phone call Recycle Bin 3
R Google places issues and the dreaded 650 phone call Help & Support for Google Local 34
Chris Ratchford Google called client to verify office hours? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Travis Van Slooten Google Calls Client 6 Times in One Day To Verify Location - What? Local Search 7
Don Archer Google business listing with 482 Real Review Missing. How do I get them back? Help & Support for Google Local 0
Nikki Stine Are negative Google reviews due to supply shortages considered 'off-topic'? Local Reviews 2
Jeffrey Taylor Adding a new category to Google my Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
david.victor Attribute used as Category by Google on Maps NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 0
M Google Search Console Errors "Coverage and Breadcrumbs"? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Lachlan_Wells Accept/Discard Google Updates - Does this feature work for you? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
E "Duplicate" Profile That Google Claims We Already Manage? Google Duplicates & Merges 5
T Can a Credit Union Create Google Posts Without Falling Under Prohibited Content? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 1
JamesGreenaway Google Insights query Google My Business & Google Maps 1
RobertCarnitas Google Posts Live on GMB, But Not Showing in GMB Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4