More threads by Tyson Downs

Reaction score
If Google is continually changing your categories, should you remove some?

Example:

Here's the categories I have for a dental client of mine (in order)

Dentist
Emergency Dental Service
Teeth Whitening Service
Dental Clinic

The client of course wants to rank for Dentist first and foremost.

Google is displaying on the live listing: Emergency Dental Service, which leads me to believe that Google thinks that is the most appropriate category for him.

Should I just delete all categories in the dashboard except dentist? Then they will be 'forced' to view him first and foremost as a dentist, right?

Should I just delete all categories in the dashboard except dentist? Then they will be 'forced' to view him first and foremost as a dentist, right?

Actually I think that can backfire. I think sometimes if you don't have enough cats she is more likely to backfill with the cats she thinks are correct. And they might be worse.

Maybe just try deleting that one. Not sure how many searches it gets. He'll likely rank for it anyway but maybe it will get removed as main cat on the page?

But then again, she's a fickle beast and it's hard to second guess what she'll do.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom