More threads by JoshuaMackens

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I know in the past we've talked about how Google posts have no impact on ranking. However, I'm starting to see a lot of the "!" icon in Maps and a snippet of a Google post with the keywords I'm searching for in it. Much like the earth symbol which is followed by "their website mentions <keyword>":

2021-02-22_9-31-23.jpg

So, even with this, is the consensus still that Google Posts have no impact on ranking?

We haven't studied it recently. Have seen a lift in listing conversion rates though when businesses use G Posts which is probably just as important in a high consideration vertical anyways!

Hey @JoshuaMackens (warning: shameless plug coming up), I just finished a big study on Google Posts that answers this question that I'm presenting at the next LocalU event. I don't want to spoil my presentation since I'm doing it as a quiz-style but if you are able to attend, you'll get the answer plus a bunch of really fascinating things (imo) about posts that I learned during the study.

GMB posts do move the needle. They are very relevant for local search. I have ranked new keywords just off of GMB posts without changing the website. I run tests now and again and this is from a recent test.

Screenshot 2021-02-24 104715.png

Keep in mind to use the GMB website. Your post will show there.

Hey Jeff, thanks!

What do you mean by "use the GMB website"?
Hey Joshua - In GMB has a website feature where you can 'create a business website' right from your Google My Business. You can do a little bit of editing - not much. But it's really just another online resource that can send signals to your website or help users. Here is an example of one - TinkerLytics

There's not much you can do to the website itself - but it does show your GMB posts. When you post it shows up kind of like a blog or social post on this page - as well as other spots.

I think this is a good reason how a post can drive good signals to your website and help with some ranking. But more importantly - posts can help engage with users. Sending users can also help here.

I figured you were talking about that. Just wanted to make sure. I try not to create that resource for any of my clients. I would be concerned it interferes with our actual website as the authoritative source and detracts, not adds. But I could be totally wrong.

Have you done a test with posts without the website?

No, I haven't. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't set up a GMB site. The information on your GMB post, GMB website, and the real website is all related. It's a good signal to have another digital asset pointing to your website - I would figure especially one from Google. It could be considered part of a Google Stack.

I'll have to check my accounts to see if I might not have a GMB site set up. If not I'll test it.

If you're using the GMB website, anything that gets published on the site would impact ranking because it's acting as content on your site. We found this same thing with a test we did on a restaurant. Publishing a menu added the menu to the site, thus impacting ranking.

However, most competitive industries can't compete without an actual website so in these cases, the GMB features like posts or a menu have no impact on where the listing ranks and it's based on the website content/structure.

GMB posts do move the needle. They are very relevant for local search. I have ranked new keywords just off of GMB posts without changing the website. I run tests now and again and this is from a recent test.

Screenshot 2021-02-24 104715.png

Keep in mind to use the GMB website. Your post will show there.
Wait wait, so is this for a GMB where the google site was listed as the website on the listing?

Or is this with no website / real website and only the effect of posts themselves - confused at the specifics.

I have seen no results from posting as a direct impact on rank. I do however post because of the "!" that can highlight a keyword the user is searching for.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom