JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I know in the past we've talked about how Google posts have no impact on ranking. However, I'm starting to see a lot of the "!" icon in Maps and a snippet of a Google post with the keywords I'm searching for in it. Much like the earth symbol which is followed by "their website mentions <keyword>":

2021-02-22_9-31-23.jpg

So, even with this, is the consensus still that Google Posts have no impact on ranking?

Eoghan_MFeed

Reaction score
We haven't studied it recently. Have seen a lift in listing conversion rates though when businesses use G Posts which is probably just as important in a high consideration vertical anyways!

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey @JoshuaMackens (warning: shameless plug coming up), I just finished a big study on Google Posts that answers this question that I'm presenting at the next LocalU event. I don't want to spoil my presentation since I'm doing it as a quiz-style but if you are able to attend, you'll get the answer plus a bunch of really fascinating things (imo) about posts that I learned during the study.

jeff_taylor

Reaction score
GMB posts do move the needle. They are very relevant for local search. I have ranked new keywords just off of GMB posts without changing the website. I run tests now and again and this is from a recent test.

Screenshot 2021-02-24 104715.png

Keep in mind to use the GMB website. Your post will show there.

jeff_taylor

Reaction score
Hey Jeff, thanks!

What do you mean by "use the GMB website"?
Hey Joshua - In GMB has a website feature where you can 'create a business website' right from your Google My Business. You can do a little bit of editing - not much. But it's really just another online resource that can send signals to your website or help users. Here is an example of one - TinkerLytics

There's not much you can do to the website itself - but it does show your GMB posts. When you post it shows up kind of like a blog or social post on this page - as well as other spots.

I think this is a good reason how a post can drive good signals to your website and help with some ranking. But more importantly - posts can help engage with users. Sending users can also help here.

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I figured you were talking about that. Just wanted to make sure. I try not to create that resource for any of my clients. I would be concerned it interferes with our actual website as the authoritative source and detracts, not adds. But I could be totally wrong.

Have you done a test with posts without the website?

jeff_taylor

Reaction score
No, I haven't. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't set up a GMB site. The information on your GMB post, GMB website, and the real website is all related. It's a good signal to have another digital asset pointing to your website - I would figure especially one from Google. It could be considered part of a Google Stack.

I'll have to check my accounts to see if I might not have a GMB site set up. If not I'll test it.

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
If you're using the GMB website, anything that gets published on the site would impact ranking because it's acting as content on your site. We found this same thing with a test we did on a restaurant. Publishing a menu added the menu to the site, thus impacting ranking.

However, most competitive industries can't compete without an actual website so in these cases, the GMB features like posts or a menu have no impact on where the listing ranks and it's based on the website content/structure.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Guest Posting To Increase Your Traffic And Google Rankings. Contact Us Messages 1
T Can a Credit Union Create Google Posts Without Falling Under Prohibited Content? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
RobertCarnitas Google Posts Live on GMB, But Not Showing in GMB Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
H Google COVID 19 posts getting suspended Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Google Posts No Longer Expire After Seven Days Google My Business & Google Maps 5
whitespark Everything You Need to Know About Google My Business Posts Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Tim Kahlert Google removed post snippet Google Algorithm Discussions 2
jpayne7 Google Favoring Rich Snippets for Job Postings over Local Business Listings? Google Local 101 4
Vincent_Bakker Google Post Rejected Google My Business & Google Maps 2
j_holtslander What triggered Google here? Thoughts? (GMB Post) Help & Support for Google Local 3
hajnasiewicz Google Posts performance (bulk) All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
Nicole Basham Are You Still Creating Regular Google Posts? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
B Google Posts Not Appearing in the Knowledge Panel Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Google: All Guests Posts Should Be Nofollow, Paid or Not Organic SEO 5
Caroline Call Now Button Disappeared on Google Posts Mobile? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
S Google just changed their rules for GMB posts: If you are a chain, you can now mass post to all your GMB locations using a GMB post scheduling tool Google My Business & Google Maps 6
AndySimpson Images That Will Cause Your Google Posts to Fail and Filter Your Google Posts Google My Business & Google Maps 35
V Google My Business script using GMB API - auto replies, question notifications, post scheduling Local SEO Tools & Software 0
L Canada Post Address Doesn't Match Google Maps Citations 6
Claire Carlile Ongoing bug with Google posts? 🐛 Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Claire Carlile Goodbye Google product posts - I'll miss you 😭 Google My Business & Google Maps 1
hajnasiewicz Google Posts: Reporting Views & Clicks Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Ellen Sanity Check - GMB Posts Appearance Google Maps Help & Support for Google Local 1
Rich Owings Social media tools that push Google Posts out? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Henry LocalClarity Business Posted Questions & Answers Removed by Google Multi-Location Issues 5
krystaltaing Delay in Publishing Google Posts? Local Search 2
AndySimpson How to upload Google's FREE Google My Business review video as a GMB post - Part 2 Google My Business & Google Maps 0
AndySimpson How to upload Google's FREE Google My Business review video as a GMB post - Part 1 Google My Business & Google Maps 12
Mathew Coghlan Google Posts for 3,000 client locations+ Local SEO Tools & Software 13
hajnasiewicz Edit and Re-Publish Past Google Post Google News: Important Changes & Features 2
S Does Google penalize you for using the Event post hack to get your post to last more than 7 days? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
nathangdavidson Google Posts not disappearing after a week Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Cordell Crowley New? Google Auto-Generating "Suggested Post" w/ Customer Review Google My Business & Google Maps 2
vivekrpatel Google My Business Post Scheduler Google My Business & Google Maps 16
Jo Shaer Google verification post card never arrives Help & Support for Google Local 4
JoyHawkins Google Posts Showing in the Local Finder Google My Business & Google Maps 14
E Google's new posts - scheduling automated posting tool? Recycle Bin 0
BenFisher Google Testing Posts and Description Position in Local Finder. Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Jo Shaer Can a communications manager add Google posts to GMB listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Scott Rawlins Google Posts and 404 Error Google My Business & Google Maps 1
JoyHawkins Google Posts Moving to the Bottom of the Knowledge Panel? Local Search 4
Scott Rawlins Google Posts - Longer Descriptions? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
djbaxter Google Maps: Local Guides Can Now Post Videos from iPhones Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Colan Nielsen GMB Testing "View previous posts on Google" Link in Bottom of Knowledge Panel Google My Business & Google Maps 5
M Google Questions and Answers - can't post an answer Help & Support for Google Local 4
T Help - Google Posts not showing Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Colan Nielsen Companies Offering Google Posts as a Service Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Hamgav Dupe Promo Posts - Re: Google's new posts - scheduling automated posting tool? Recycle Bin 0
SmallBizGeek Google Posts last longer than 7 days(?) Google My Business & Google Maps 2