Marion

Reaction score
In the GMB help, it is said that it is against Google rules to install dedicated computers to collect reviews. Create a link for customers to write reviews - Google My Business Help
But in the link to the Google rules, I can't find anything confirming this.
Has anyone any further information or experience with this ?
Thank you for your help.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@Marion, Google's policies and its enforcement are two very different things.

In strict terms, sure, Google would prefer that you not provide dedicated tablets.

But in practice Google is very unlikely to touch those reviews. Especially if some of the reviewers are already reviewers / Local Guides and not first-time reviewers, and especially if you don't get big spikes in your review count (e.g. none for a year and then 17 reviews in a week).

So if the only goal is to bump up your review count, the dedicated tablet approach will work fine.

Still, you may want to avoid it (or at least not have it be your first choice), for a few reasons:

1. You won't want customers to feel put on the spot.

2. You won't want a bunch of short, dashed-off reviews - because customers just want to go home. Reviews shouldn't simply say that a business is good, but also why it's good. Sometimes it takes thinking and time for people to articulate that in a review.

3. The strictness of Google's filter changes over time. 10-12 years ago it was practically non-existent. Then 8-9 years ago Google filtered reviews constantly (often for no good reason). Now it's the Wild West again, but the filter may become stricter again. At that point the in-office reviews may be on the hook.

Marion

Reaction score

In strict terms, sure, Google would prefer that you not provide dedicated tablets.

But in practice Google is very unlikely to touch those reviews. Especially if some of the reviewers are already reviewers / Local Guides and not first-time reviewers, and especially if you don't get big spikes in your review count (e.g. none for a year and then 17 reviews in a week).

So if the only goal is to bump up your review count, the dedicated tablet approach will work fine.

Still, you may want to avoid it (or at least not have it be your first choice), for a few reasons:

2. You won't want a bunch of short, dashed-off reviews - because customers just want to go home. Reviews shouldn't simply say that a business is good, but also why it's good. Sometimes it takes thinking and time for people to articulate that in a review.

3. The strictness of Google's filter changes over time. 10-12 years ago it was practically non-existent. Then 8-9 years ago Google filtered reviews constantly (often for no good reason). Now it's the Wild West again, but the filter may become stricter again. At that point the in-office reviews may be on the hook.
Thank you Phil for this very helpful perspective.

raellovepie

Solutions
Reaction score
Instead of Google Reviews, set up the tablets/computers for a simple:

How did we do today?
1-5 Star or Thumbs up or down system. With the option to collect their email or phone number.

Then send them all a message with your Google Review URL asking if they can also share their experiences on Google.

This way it is not putting people on the spot. And it is easier for your customers.

Eoghan_MFeed

Reaction score
+1 on the advice here, ask for the network review after they leave and aren't in as much of a hurry / it's not as socially forced. Within 1-2 days of the service/product being concluded/bought.

If using a kiosk, use for internal sentiment tracking (NPS score) and to build your network review generation contact list - grab contact info, contact later.

Marion

Reaction score
Instead of Google Reviews, set up the tablets/computers for a simple:

How did we do today?
1-5 Star or Thumbs up or down system. With the option to collect their email or phone number.

Then send them all a message with your Google Review URL asking if they can also share their experiences on Google.

This way it is not putting people on the spot. And it is easier for your customers.
Thank you, great advice !

Marion

Reaction score

Very thorough reply, thank you very much Phil for the good advice.