Zhivko

Reaction score
A business with two locations in the same city. First is downtown, second is in a mall.

For more than a year the business had one listing, where the address was for the downtown practice. About 5 months ago, I created a new listing for the second practice, in the mall.

Now, it's been 5 months but Google keeps showing ONLY the original listing, for the downtown location. Even to users who are in the mall. Even to users, who type in "business name + mall name".

I don't know how to compete with my own listing.

• Each google listing links to a location page on the business' website. - checked
  • Each location page has a ton of location-specific info (i.e. info about the mall, gallery, etc.) - check
  • Collected reviews for the mall listing. - check
  • Several people marked themselves to be in the mall practice. - check
  • Google approved the "location within another location" and the listing is marked to be in the mall for real. - check
  • Add a new post on the mall listing every week. - check

And yet... Google keeps showing only the original listing, for the downtown practice.

Things to try:
  • send out an email with a link to "request directions" page for the mall practice. I read somewhere (whitespark?) that this tricks google into thinking that a lot of people search for this place. But my email list is small and the conversion rates are low so I don't expect to see an effect.
  • build citations for the second listing. Currently, the business is registered in local directories only with the downtown location. I have good expectations for this.
  • build some links to the location pages, because Google doesn't seem to appreciate them much at the moment.

In the meantime, if you have another idea I should try, please share.

raellovepie

Solutions
Reaction score
Do you have an example? If it is not distance or search term, I wonder if the "mall" listing even shows up at all.

Cherie Dickey

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
You're definitely doing the right things. Trying to get a new listing ranking can be a pain.

• build citations for the second listing. Currently, the business is registered in local directories only with the downtown location. I have good expectations for this.
  • build some links to the location pages, because Google doesn't seem to appreciate them much at the moment.

These two are going to be your best bet. The new listing needs time to become established, and part of that process is citations and local links. Patience is going to be your friend as well.

Zhivko

Reaction score
@raellovepie The listing shows if I type in Google the exact name of the listing plus the address like this: "Dental clinic [practice name] str. Example Street, 5, 9000, Varna".

@Cherie Dickey So I just need to think of a good way to explain to my employer that I've done everything right and now we just need to wait for a few years until we see the results. :LOL: But yeah, I have high hopes for the citations.

Cherie Dickey

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I wouldn't say a few years, haha! But yes, SEO is a game of inches and time. It takes patience to do things correctly and within the guidelines. That's kindof the downside to our job, isn't it? Sometimes we have to have those tough conversations with our clients, and they may or may not understand.

But, you're doing things correctly from what you are saying. And you should see some improvement after you build out a strong citation profile. I would start with Brightlocal or another citation management service to target the major ones quickly, and submit to the aggregators. Make sure there's a Yelp page as well, and earn reviews there and other review sites such as YP (once the listings are created).

Zhivko

Reaction score
I will have to do it manually, as there is no such (reliable) service for my local market. But, yeah, spending a few hours building citations isn't that bad. I think it would be worth it.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Jeffrey Google Showing Doctor Listing instead of Office Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 15
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Google Doesn't Show a Proper Knowledge Panel with GMB Listing Multi-Location Issues 8
Frank Jones Wrong Google Listing Showing For Brand Name Multi-Location Issues 2
eshad Google has merged accounts but is showing an old listing Google Duplicates & Merges 1
D How do I get a Google My Business listing to show up in nearby areas? Local Content 1
MarianoF Google had reinstated my listing after six days suspension but my listing is not showing Google My Business & Google Maps 3
JoyHawkins "On These Lists" Showing in Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 5
DigitalMarketer LLC & Google My Business Listing Showing Ownership Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Priya Chandra 5 steps to showing Google Calendar results in search listings Local Search 6
Dustybones Google not showing 80% of HTTPS eligible websites in listings Local Search 1
iFuse Only 3 Google My Business Local Listings Showing - Why? Help & Support for Google Local 4
R Google Now Shows "Relocated To" in Google+ Local Listings Moving or Name Changes 2
R Google Now Shows "Relocated To" in Google+ Local Listings Moving or Name Changes 2
geoff Google listing not showing after a lot of work & time. Help & Support for Google Local 7
J Dashboard problem - not showing in 'see your listing on Google' Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Linda Buquet Google Local Showing Individual SMB YP Listings - Spotted in the Wild Local Search 0
K Google+ Listing showing a blank page Service Area Businesses 5
K Google+ Listing showing a blank page Service Area Businesses 5
R Google Places Dashboard Shows Same Impressions/Actions Stats for 2 Listings Help & Support for Google Local 3
RobertCarnitas Google Posts Live on GMB, But Not Showing in GMB Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Matt Chauhan Google Maps showing category that doesn't even exist Local Search 1
djbaxter Brightlocal Tool shows Large Google Local Search Algorithm Update March 10, 2021 Google Algorithm Discussions 1
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
NickB-Tampa URL is updated in Google My Business but doesn't show up correctly in maps or on Bright Local Local Search 2
jimmydoubleu Verified Google My Business not showing up in Knowledge Panel/Maps Moving or Name Changes 3
onweblocal How Do I get the GMB for a 53 DA website to show up in the Google Carousel Ranking Puzzles 4
J Google Business not showing up in search. Business not suspended and is verified Google My Business & Google Maps 5
K Map Pin Does Not Show When Business Owner Googles Their Address Google My Business & Google Maps 1
A Google Maps Showing Different Map When Searching Name vs. Address Google My Business & Google Maps 1
mattrigg Branded Paid Search - Impacts Google My Business from showing Paid Search and Local Service Ads 6
M Google Maps not showing website and directions link Local Search 1
JoyHawkins Google Now Shows Short Names on About Tab Google News: Important Changes & Features 6
M Google Reviews Not Showing Up for our Client Local Reviews 6
genteinvencible Why is sometimes Google showing this short description? Local Search 3
L Why is Google showing different categories for this business in the same search/view? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
raellovepie Google Messaging shows if it came from KP Quote button. Great for tracking & reply context. Google My Business & Google Maps 0
L Get Email Notification for Google Review but not showing in Dashboard Local Reviews 4
Conor Treacy Google showing only domain name in results (when not logged in) Local Search 2
Cordell Crowley Google Showing "Businesses You Manage" in search results? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
JoyHawkins GMB Insights Now Show on Google Maps Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
H Google Cache shows a different website? Local Search 0
Cordell Crowley Getting two side-by-side businesses of the same type to show up on Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Adam Bament Backlink not showing on Google Console Organic SEO 12
Dan Foland Google Starts Showing Local Results for Some Sex-Related Legal Queries (Again) Local Search 10
B Google Glitch Showing Old Review As Newest Local Reviews 4
Z Solved: Multi-Location Business, Google Maps only shows one location instead of two Multi-Location Issues 10
Brodie Clark Google My Business now showing an email address field? Google News: Important Changes & Features 5
vivekrpatel Google is not showing aggregate rating on SERP Local Reviews 6
JoyHawkins Google Posts Showing in the Local Finder Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Jeffrey Google Maps showing reviews Google My Business & Google Maps 2