Bishop

Reaction score
Hi-

I heard the Bright Local webbinar with Linda today and I had a question. I small biz that has no storefront, so I should hide my address, right? How do i hide my address without hurting my ranking?

P.S. I also heard Linda give a tip about getting your hidden address default to downtown, how do you do that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi Bishop.

Need to eat lunch and play email catch up. Will be back to answer later today.

But I'm moving this post to the SAB Forum where you will find lots of answers.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi-

I heard the Bright Local webbinar with Linda today and I had a question. I small biz that has no storefront, so I should hide my address, right? How do i hide my address without hurting my ranking?

P.S. I also heard Linda give a tip about getting your hidden address default to downtown, how do you do that?

Phil is right hiding address does not hurt ranking any more like it used to. As I said on webinar tons of hidden address listings rank A.

For the map marker placement, Google put the marker in center of whatever you say is your service area.

If you list 3 cities, it will calc the center, even if it's out in country in the forest.

If you list your city + zip it will place it in center of your zip.

If you list your city only, it will place it in center of city.

Again that setting does not affect your ranking at all, just the map marker which could help if someone is looking for a provider that's centrally located. But depending on your market and zip, could be better to leave zip in there. All depends.

Check this out. A Carpet cleaner out in Lake Michigan due to bad service area settings:
New Google SAB Update + Don't Make this Frightful Mistake!

Reaction score
I am so bummed that I missed the seminar today. I had to meet with a client so now I will have to wait for the recording. I feel like I have a good handle on SAB but I am always looking to learn more and this seminar was one that I requested.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Look forward to getting the video in your hands Michael. It was a good one!

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I just got it. Am working on embedding it now. Will post link here when it's ready in next 10 minutes or so.

Thos003

Reaction score
I think it is important to realize that hiding an address at this point does not affect rankings. But there are pros and cons to hiding addresses. As Linda mentioned above, the icon will center it self in the service area that you mark. This could make you look good in that you cover the entire metro. However, a user may show preference to a business that looks to be closer in proximity to them. More of a support the hometown business attitude. Further, certain users may want to see an actual business building. Depending on the aesthetics of your building, this could go both ways. Overall, reviews will still trump these factors in getting people to actually call you.

Bishop

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies everyone!

Is screenshot below the correct setting if I serve customers at their location and do not have a store where I serve customers (ie plumber)?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
google.png
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

P.S. I loved your tips on the webbinar!! When is the next webbinar you are doing??

google.png

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
W Debate about hiding addresses for SABs Local Search 16
snysarah "Clear address" versus hide address in backend of listing Service Area Businesses 2
Cordell Crowley Unable to hide address? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
O SAB to hide or not to hide Citation address Service Area Businesses 9
onebluesummer SAB to hide or not to hide Citation address Service Area Businesses 9
F Hide Address Questions Local Search 2
L To Hide or Not Hide the Address... Local Search 4
C Apple Maps Connect - No Hide Address Option Local Search 5
C Effect of Hiding Address Local Search 13
G Shall i hide my address on the map? Service Area Businesses 11
Gsmithmike Shall i hide my address on the map? Service Area Businesses 11
L ▶ VIDEO: HOW to Hide Address on your Google+ Local Page (Plus Why) Service Area Businesses 5
Linda Buquet ▶ VIDEO: HOW to Hide Address on your Google+ Local Page (Plus Why) Service Area Businesses 5
Linda Buquet Hide your Address on Google Local - New Warning for Service Area Businesses Google My Business & Google Maps 20
B Hiding Address Service Area Businesses 13
Travis Van Slooten I Thought Service-Based Business Were Supposed to Hide Addresses? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
J Being forced to hide the address of a retail location Service Area Businesses 2
johncrenshaw Being forced to hide the address of a retail location Service Area Businesses 2
Linda Buquet PRIVATE Citations for "Hide your Address" Service Area Businesses? Citations 1
R Could hiding a street address in G+ Local cause issues with scraper IYP sites? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
L Whacked Listing Reinclusion Troubleshooter - Do Not Support, Hide Address Problem Service Area Businesses 5
Linda Buquet Whacked Listing Reinclusion Troubleshooter - Do Not Support, Hide Address Problem Service Area Businesses 5
N Hide Your Address on Google Places Q & A Service Area Businesses 23
Nick.SEOSpark Hide Your Address on Google Places Q & A Service Area Businesses 23
Andrew Polanski Service Based Business... Slapped for not hiding address Help & Support for Google Local 1
Linda Buquet Can You Risk NOT Hiding your Address on Google? For Home Based Businesses Local Search 11
C Switching from hide address to show address Help & Support for Google Local 2
Local Search News Curator Invisible Businesses with Hidden Map Markers Due to Google Places Hide Your Address R Recycle Bin 0
Toby 39 Celsius Possible to hide hours in GMB Profile? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
djbaxter The best place to hide a body Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
Linda Buquet Remove Negative Google Reviews By Responding??? Don't Hide your Head in the Sand Local Reviews 0
bluehabit Hiding Primary Residence on Google+ Google My Business & Google Maps 5
MiriamEllis Hiding Adresss - But What About On The Website? Local Search 3
L How to reset the address that has been hidden on GMB, if they move locations? Local Search 1
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
S How to remove a GMB from maps of a previous owner who ran 3 businesses from the same address Google My Business & Google Maps 6
valentinb13 GMB uses residential address—but client wants to use PO Box for other citations... Citations 3
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Two Different Business Places at the Same Address: Should I Add Them to GMB? Local Search 1
B Will Removing Addresses for Multiple State SAB Result in Dup Listing or Suspension? Service Area Businesses 4
M Google keeps reverting our clients address, no matter how many times we send a postcard Moving or Name Changes 4
S GMB Address Update for SAB Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Dino Google not updating an address. Any ideas? Moving or Name Changes 2
A Multiple service based locations in different provinces with one physical address Multi-Location Issues 1
J Trying to figure out correct address format for GMB profile Moving or Name Changes 4
petrakraft Wrong location of an address in Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Charles Jenkins SCHEMA For local business with address hidden? Local Search 1
P GMB Physical Address Keeps Reverting Local Search 4
LocalSEODat Need help with a suspended GMB - Client had home address as place of biz, then suspended. Fixed to meet customers and got reply with no reason Service Area Businesses 6
Travis Van Slooten Hard Suspension of GMB Listing: Multiple Businesses at Same Address? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
F How To Determine a Good GMB Address? Google My Business & Google Maps 7