RobinOctane

Reaction score
I don't know how this happened but my client suddenly has 20 listings using the wrong address and their old phone number.

Here's the weird thing. They also just started ranking higher from 3 to 2. Just by one place (been a slow climb)

Both phone numbers are on the website, because the old number they have kept and advertise for spanish speaking calls.

Is there a way to tell when these listings appeared? Like a way back machine but for listings or age of listing site?

Trying to figure this out. It's almost like a data aggregator pushed it out. I know the client wouldn't of done this because for one, it's the address of a mom and pop store.

Thanks for tips.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
20 listings? You mean Google+ Local listings or 3rd party?

Kristen

Reaction score
I don't know how this happened but my client suddenly has 20 listings using the wrong address and their old phone number.

Here's the weird thing. They also just started ranking higher from 3 to 2. Just by one place (been a slow climb).

Both phone numbers are on the website, because the old number they have kept and advertise for spanish speaking calls.

I can't speak to the ranking increase, it could just be a coincidence. But one thing I would say right off the bat would be to make that old phone number an image, not text. Otherwise you're going to run into issues with the phone number popping up in duplicates again and again. One of our clients is a franchise and they have two phone numbers on the website, one being the primary and the other a tracking number corporate won't remove. This has caused numerous issues. So if you have control over it, make the Spanish number an image - it'll save you a lot of headaches in the future.

A similar situation as the one you describe recently happened with one of our clients. When we initially took them on, they were no where to be found in Google. They had two duplicates in Google and countless variations of business name and address. We managed to get the duplicate removed through Google phone support (finally), many of the duplicates were finally being deleted as well and then a whole new crop of listings with the wrong business name began to pop up.

This is an attorney, so this type of thing is pretty common, but I'd also like to know if anyone has tips on getting to the source of some of these duplicates quicker by possibly prioritizing some directories over others before they spread to other directories - almost like a hit list of notorious directory sites to target first because they are more likely to spread wrong info quicker and more often.

---------- Post Merged at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:24 AM ----------

20 listings? You mean Google+ Local listings or 3rd party?

Yikes! I would hope third party listings! :eek:

I tend to think of duplicates in Google as the tip of an iceberg. If I see 3 duplicates, that's just the beginning and there's a whole bunch of cleanup that needs to be done across the web.

RobinOctane

Reaction score
3rd Party.

Get Listed is weird it said there was Google listing but I don't see it even when searching by phone number and by address.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Legal Services Rankings Tanked After Potential Update - Solutions? What Did You Do? Organic SEO 2
raellovepie Startup Business - how did you start? Consultant's Corner 4
Matthew Summers If I Report a Spammer via the Redressal Form, will said Spammer know who did it? Spam on Google 2
berto When did Google My Business start using MSA metro for service areas? Service Area Businesses 2
djbaxter CallJoy: Why did Google Call it Joy? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 8
JoyHawkins Did Yelp Lose Review Stars on Category Pages? Local Reviews 2
Monica Simpson Where did the FB verify option go? Citations 4
Marissa Did You Know in Local Panel NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
JoyHawkins When did Bing Places Remove the Option to Add Categories? Local Search 5
djbaxter Did the June 2019 update bury quack medical sites? Google Algorithm Discussions 14
J Did everyone see the new Google Home with the Screen? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 7
JoyHawkins October 3, 2018 - Google Medic Algo Update - How Did It Affect Local Businesses? Google Algorithm Discussions 4
RuggedSEO Did "Hawk" actually reverse the impact of "Possum"? Not being found in the snack pack Local Search 16
djbaxter Did Last Week's Google Update Benefit News & Magazine Web Sites? Organic SEO 1
M Did I miss an update today? Local Search 9
Linda Buquet Google Local Mall Update - Did Google just Change Your NAP? Google My Business & Google Maps 18
S Did Google update all address abbreviation for Google Local and Maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Marie Haynes Did Pigeon affect Canadian listings? Local Search 9
JoyHawkins Removed per Joy's Request - Panda 4.0 - How did it Impact Local? Recycle Bin 2
Linda Buquet Did the CEO of Yodle Really Just Say That? Re: Local Reviews Advice? Local Reviews 3
Linda Buquet Google Local Algo Change or Did Spam Filters Get Dropped? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
M How did he get a one box and the "A" position? Help & Support for Google Local 4
BobV How did they do this? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet Did Google Lose Attorneys & Plumbers on Google Maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Linda Buquet Did Google Flip your Suite??? US Consultants Please Read Google My Business & Google Maps 19
Optimize Prime Did Google Maps misplace San Antonio, TX? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
D What did Google just do to accessing all your information for a business acct? Help Google My Business & Google Maps 10
johncrenshaw Did Infogroup toss all their listings after they launched their new site? Local Search 16
Colan Nielsen Where Did The Troubleshooter Go? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Marie Haynes Why did this site's local ranking drop? Help & Support for Google Local 21
J Author Image Showing up in Local Results. How did they do that?? Google My Business & Google Maps 16
WHUK 3 Posts that did not add value Recycle Bin 2
M Tale of Three Sites! Why not ranking? What in the world did Google (or us) do? HELP! Local Search 6
M Call Tracking Numbers: Did This Guy Just Tell Businesses to Commit Local Suicide? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
Mike Wilton Call Tracking Numbers: Did This Guy Just Tell Businesses to Commit Local Suicide? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
Linda Buquet Why Did my Google Local Ranking Drop? The Answer Local Search 2
Marie Haynes How long did it take for your listing to be active after entering PIN? Local Search 6
Tony Wang GMB Suspensions Still Happening? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
C Odd GMB happening Google My Business & Google Maps 9
B What happens if you stop renting your office space? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
L My business got suspended and then reinstated but something weird happens Help & Support for Google Local 3
H Merging a duplicate GMB - what happens to the posts? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
U What happened to my old profile and posts from productforums? Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
Benjamin Beck What Happens When Merging Accounts? Google Duplicates & Merges 3
AndiFox I can't believe this just happened Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Chaddow Strange things happening with review responses around the world Google My Business & Google Maps 13
obcted Sudden Steep Drop + Strange Happenings Local Search 9
J Ranking Puzzle: What Happened Here? Ranking Puzzles 26
JoyHawkins Ranking Puzzle: What Happened Here? Ranking Puzzles 26
Linda Buquet A Horror Story: Check Your Google Local Listings - Don't Let This Happen to You Spam on Google 16