Reaction score
How First Impressions Hurt (or Help) Your Business Reviews

first-impressions-reviews.jpg

Have you ever had a negative review?

A negative review from a satisfied customer, one who told you they were satisfied? It?s a frustrating experience. Sometimes their review isn?t negative, it?s just meh.

There?s a hidden trigger to negative reviews.

This trigger, if mismanaged, dramatically increases your odds of receiving a negative review. Do everything right, treat your customers well and you may still receive a negative review.

The trigger I?m referring to is first impressions.

First impressions hurt (or help) your business

Make a good first impression and you?re able to attract a significant amount of goodwill from customers, even when you make a mistake. Make a poor first impression and every good thing you do is discounted and denied.

Incredibly unfair isn?t it?

But why does this happen? Why are first impressions so important to us? First impressions are important because we use them to categorize and classify those around us.

We do this in several ways.

? Matching values. Research shows shared values (not engagement) builds customer relationships and loyalty.Customers use first impressions to get a sense of your values and how you do business.

? The dominance hierarchy. Customers in particular, people in general, are all sensitive to our place in the pecking order. We subconsciously understand a simple truth. The people, brands and organizations we associate with reflect on us. We use a diverse set of signals to establish status. It can be as complex as social class and as simple and innocent as laughter or the sound of your voice.

? Image and presentation. Every customer comes to you with expectations. They expect a business in your specific category to look, sound, behave and present in a very specific way. Deviate from those expectations, fail to present your business properly and you increase the odds of making a poor first impression.

? Your social competence. Every customer makes an appraisal of your social, emotional, cognitive and behavioral skills. Do you have socially competent employees who treat customers with respect and compassion? Do you show you have good conversation skills or do you dominate the discussion and focus on yourself?

Customers categorize your business based on the data collected by their conscious and subconscious mind. This data forms the basis for their first impressions.

Here?s why first impressions matter.

Read the rest of Andrew's post here, and his dive into the 4 ways first impressions affect your business and what they mean for your business reviews.

first-impressions-reviews.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ellen GMB Dashboard Data Highly Inflated -- Related to Barry Schwartz Inflated Impressions Article NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
H Views Vs. Impressions in GMB Discrepency Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Caroline S Google Ads Impressions Have Plummeted Suddenly And I Can't Find The Cause Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
snysarah Question Re: GMB Impressions in GSC and Analytics Google My Business & Google Maps 9
S Hello! I'm impressed. Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 5
M Branded Clicks Down / Impressions Up Google My Business & Google Maps 1
M "Impressions" metric Local Search 4
danieljc 3 Pack Impressions in Analytics? Local Search 21
H Does Google Search Console Show impressions and clicks from GMB? Local Search 4
K HELP! No impressions, not being located in google maps when search is completed. Help & Support for Google Local 6
F Google impressions.. #1 rank for keyword but 0 impressions?!? Help & Support for Google Local 15
Linda Buquet Places Analytics Problem: Impressions, Actions Dropped Google My Business & Google Maps 23
M Total Impressions dropped for all my clients! Help & Support for Google Local 31
Colan Nielsen Yahoo Local Impressions/Actions Marketing 0
M G+ Local Listing Getting Impressions and Ranks for Unknown/Unwanted Keywords Help & Support for Google Local 5
Marie Haynes Wow, super impressed in Ottawa, ON! Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 3
R Google Places Dashboard Shows Same Impressions/Actions Stats for 2 Listings Help & Support for Google Local 3
JaredCaraway Can Setting a Service Area for Non-SAB Hurt Performance? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
erickseo Does having a tracking phone number as primary instead of our regular phone number hurt ranking? Local Search 13
A WP - Schema Pro. Can it hurt my site? Organic SEO 7
Y Will small change of google business name hurt my google business rankings? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Tables may hurt you in today's Google search rankings Organic SEO 0
Y Does Duplicate Content Hurt Local Rankings? Local Content 8
Yan Gilbert Does Duplicate Content Hurt Local Rankings? Local Content 8
E Changing phone number on GMB hurts ranking? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
mattfraser Do Multiple Google My Business Listings hurt your Local SEO Help & Support for Google Local 3
warrenpd Can adding a new location hurt your local ranking Local Search 4
A Doctor sublets suite to Phys Therapists - will their Google Local page hurt doctors Google Duplicates & Merges 3
A Doctor sublets suite to Phys Therapists - will their Google Local page hurt doctors Google Duplicates & Merges 3
Dustybones 5 SEO tactics that can hurt your ranking Local Search 0
Dustybones 7 things businesss do that can hurt local rankings Local Search 0
Michael S. Doran Does a forwarded domain hurt local SEO ranking? Local Search 6
ColoradoChris Google plus local - added keyword, but now does NAP hurt me? Google My Business & Google Maps 23
Linda Buquet Zombie Dupes - How Duplicate Business Listings Multiply and can Hurt You Local Search 2
L Phone Location Hurting Ranking? Local Search 2
djbaxter Things That Help and Hurt SEO Organic SEO 3
prota Will a toll free number hurt my citations Citations 8
MKubot Help with Bing Clean Up Google Local 101 1
NevenaIvanova Need help with business detail update of a Chinese business Local Search 3
dateinadash This location has been suspended due to quality issues - going round in circles! Please help? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
brownaddesign Help with Bing Places - Accidently imported all our GMB listings Local Search 3
C Help me to restore my account please Contact Us Messages 1
C Help with service page optimization Organic SEO 20
B Google Beacons helping Local visability? Local Search 1
Caroline S 1 Service Area Business, 10 Listings, Several Redressals Reported, No Action From Google - Help! Help & Support for Google Local 7
N Looking for help to gain access to manage a GMB profile? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
djbaxter Tired eyes or dry eyes? Firefox has an extension to help Websites, Software, and Security 1
Greg Bernhardt Bulk verification help, locations in group, no Chain option Multi-Location Issues 1
Lanerizz Help For Pending Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 4
J Gmb help please: 2 offices merged into 1 office Google My Business & Google Maps 3