More threads by Michael S. Doran

Solutions
Reaction score
I recently have taken on a new client that has his primary Business category set to Corporate office instead of his actual service. For the first time ever I am experiencing Google refusing to allow the proper update. The change goes to Pending and then after 10 minutes is rejected.

I find it completely bizarre that Google will refuse the listing Owner an update that makes the listing MORE accurate.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution?

Solution
Thanks for the idea Joy!

No 3rd party app. I have eliminated all managers except 1, the primary owner and the problem still persists. The business does have an 800 toll free number as the only phone number and the business does serve multiple states.

While it isn't inaccurate to call it a Corporate office, it seems we should still be able to set the primary category to one that describes their service.

Google message:
Your edit was not approved.

Any other ideas?

This is a technical issue with Google. I have experienced this a lot. The best thing to do is to contact GBP support, and they will get category updated for you.

Thanks for the idea Joy!

No 3rd party app. I have eliminated all managers except 1, the primary owner and the problem still persists. The business does have an 800 toll free number as the only phone number and the business does serve multiple states.

While it isn't inaccurate to call it a Corporate office, it seems we should still be able to set the primary category to one that describes their service.

Google message:

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the idea Joy!

Google message:

Any other ideas?

This is a technical issue with Google. I have experienced this a lot. The best thing to do is to contact GBP support, and they will get category updated for you.

Solution
So this listing is a wreck. I have an open case to fix the category and while waiting to hear back, we added a local phone number and made the toll free number the secondary number. That change caused the listing to get suspended! I had to open a case to resolve that, before the category issue would be addressed by Google.

Well after numerous emails back and forth, Google has refused to reinstate the listing.
Their canned response is:
Per our quality guidelines, your business isn’t eligible to display on Google Maps.

Now this is a very normal local service business that should most definitely be eligible. The only thing I could see that need to change was to reduce the service area, as it was set to go beyond the recommended 2 hour drive time limit.

Google won't just say what need to be fixed for some reason. I don't see any violation of the quality guidelines.

Does anyone have any advice to get this reinstated?

It shouldn’t take that long. My last issue was resolved the next day.

There is a crazy thing to add to this story. In the area is a competitor using a UPS store address, clearly a violation of the guidelines, and they are having no problem with their listing. Meanwhile, my client that actually has a legit industrial address (hidden) is in a suspended state.

If you wanted to post a screenshot of the dashboard showing all the settings and info for the business, I can try and offer advice. It's pretty much impossible to give clear advice without knowing that.

If you wanted to post a screenshot of the dashboard showing all the settings and info for the business, I can try and offer advice. It's pretty much impossible to give clear advice without knowing that.

The only thing I see that might throw it off is the domain uses www but the website main domain doesn't. The www version does connect to the website with no problem though.

Thanks for looking it over!

About.jpg

Contact.jpg

Location.jpg

Hours.jpg

More.jpg

Michael, I have experienced a very similar issue. I was adding secondary categories to my clients listing. They would get removed the next day. I started to make other edits and soon after the business was suspended. The business was not a Service area business and I was able to get it reinstated pretty fast with the paper work.

Tips to help you get reinstated without delays...
1. Make sure the name of the business matches your documents.
2. Try and provide 3 documents, articles of inc, utility bill work well. One documents has to be a legal registration.
3. Provide an explanation of any updates you made but avoid over explaining or complaining
4. I like to include the website landing page of the location pointing out the name, address and phone

After my reinstatement I did not have any issues but the listing was in a pending edit state for a few days.

Once reinstated avoid making any major edits for 2 weeks.

This is so strange. If there is a violation of the guidelines, I can't see it.

Why doesn't Google support just converse in a straight forward manner and tell us what needs to be done, instead of the vague canned responses?

This is the process. You don't appear to have any violations from the photos you sent. Have you submitted the reinstatement to Google?

This is the process. You don't appear to have any violations from the photos you sent. Have you submitted the reinstatement to Google?

Yes, thank you, I submitted the reinstatement about a week ago but so far they just keep saying the business isn't eligible. It really seems like no human is looking at it. It seems like this should be easy to reinstate because there doesn't appear to be any guideline violation.

Today they responded with a request to take a survey so I could tell them how satisfied I am with their support!

Thank you for contacting Google Support.

We hope we were able to resolve your problem to your satisfaction. Please take a minute to answer a quick survey below about your experience with us so we can improve our service.

I want to thank you Claudia for your help in resolving this listing.

To anyone interested, the listing was finally reinstated on July 13, which means it was down for over 60 days! I wish that Google had more of a sense of urgency in solving these things, but better late than never I guess.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom