freerunr

Reaction score
Those of us who work with professional practitioners (dentists, doctors, lawyers, etc.) are all too aware of this dilemma: multiple practitioners transact business out of a single office space/suite while running separate business operations, but one of them is your client, and he/she wants a Local listing on Google. The risk is that Google can get confused and merge business listings at the same address together. This situation I'm describing is different than a single business with multiple practitioners -- using individual practitioner listings solves this problem. But when it's multiple businesses, what have you found to be the best strategy so that businesses in this situation still receive some visibility (whether it be Local or social), on Google's platform specifically? I understand it can depend on the situation, but some alternatives I can think of are below:

1. Claim the listing; maybe use a different phone number (that is still direct) than other businesses located there to help distinguish NAP. If it merges with another business, suffer the consequences and/or contact Google Support
  2. Do nothing -- it's not worth the risk of a merged listing
  3. Only claim individual practitioner listings (not business-level listings) for the individual practitioners
  4. Create non-Local Google+ pages for the business(es), because these don't show on Maps and don't run the risk of merging
  5. Use a home address instead and hide it (which may not be the correct use of this feature)
  6. Ask the business with an already-claimed listing at the location to mention the business in their description

And as a final question, is these types of businesses merging together even an issue anymore?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TriciaClements 3 Businesses - how to handle GMB listings for SAB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
AdvoAd How to best handle 10+ locations on website Websites, Software, and Security 4
Hammer How would you handle this? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
K I Need Guidance on How to Handle a Law Practice Buyout & Existing GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Mmclean07 How to handle 2 offices at same address? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Oliver Keates How to change the IG handle on Google knowledge Panel? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
MonicaH SAB moving from primary target location to non-target location - best way to handle GMB? Moving or Name Changes 4
D Off Topic How Do You Handle Businesses That Have No Business Address? Recycle Bin 1
Rich Owings SAB with hidden address moving their office - How to handle in GMB? Service Area Businesses 5
MKubot How do you handle spam on BING? Spam on Google 5
Travis Van Slooten How Would You Handle "2 Locations" For a Service Business? Local Search 4
G What's the best way for my business to handle a change of address? Local Search 8
C Difference In How 'Suggest An Edit' Is Handled? Google Local 101 2
Brian Bender How Do You Handle Quotes/Proposals? Consultant's Corner 19
L Portal provides unique phone number for call analytics, how to handle this with NAP ? Local Search 4
PaulSteinbrueck How to handle 2 similar businesses operating at the same location? Google My Business & Google Maps 15
Les Zeppelin How would you handle this tricky situation? Local Search 7
Travis Van Slooten How To Handle Dental Practice Closing One Office Help & Support for Google Local 9
J Handling of Duplicates Google Duplicates & Merges 5
JoshuaMackens Handling of Duplicates Google Duplicates & Merges 5
J All-In-One solutions? Software to optimise & handle many Local SEO clients Local SEO Tools & Software 3
B How would you handle this mess? Local Search 5
C How best to handle these Google listings for a single location local business? Help & Support for Google Local 15
S How to Handle Seasonal Hours? Local Search 2
RR415 How does Google handle street name abbreviations? Local Search 4
R How Many Clients/How Much Business to Handle Consultant's Corner 9
Linda Buquet Client Moved - Duplicate Citations - How to Handle with Moz Local? Citations 1
R how would you handle a dentist practice sold to a new owner Help & Support for Google Local 6
L For people handling country TLD domains (or .com owners targeting a specific country) Organic SEO 0
T how to handle a duplicate G+ listing that keeps ranking Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Handy Twitter Handles for Local Citation Sources Citations 5
Lloyd Silver How To Handle National Business With Existing G+ Page That Also Markets Locally Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Travis Van Slooten Business Name Change - How To Handle Their Google+ Local Page? Google My Business & Google Maps 16
Tyson Downs Best Way to Handle this? 2 Docs 1 Website Google My Business & Google Maps 2
A Best way to handle negative reviews left by competitor? Local Reviews 13
David Deering How would you handle this?..... Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet Guide to Handling Ranking Drops and Google Algo Changes with Clients Consultant's Corner 0
Travis Van Slooten How Do You Handle Businesses That Have No Business Address? Local Search 16
M How to handle a 10 doctor office? Local Search 4
MatGee Multiple Practitioners at Medical Office, Is It Possible To Share Reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Greg Bernhardt Sharing reviews between very similar products? Organic SEO 4
M Virtual Shared Space Listings Suddenly Suspended Multi-Location Issues 2
DanielTexasLira Has anyone done Local SEO on a Dual Pad Hotel (two different hotel brands sharing the same location)? Local Search 6
NevenaIvanova Can shared phone number lead to listing suspension? Google My Business & Google Maps 11
LocalSEODat Thinking of Saving Costs by Not Leasing 2 Local Offices in Vancouver & Toronto for Shared Office Space Google My Business & Google Maps 9
R Two Local Businesses Share One Address Local Search 3
sixthcitysarah For those in doubt...thought I would share this win Spam on Google 1
R Trends we're seeing (thought I’d share) Local Search 1
freerunr Share Location Group ID? (GMB Agency account question) Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Thompsonpaul Access to account blocked due to "network sharing device/proxy". Contact Us Messages 1