More threads by djbaxter

djbaxter

Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
5 Ways to Improve Your Facebook Page?s Organic Reach
by Neil Patel
December 21, 2015

Over the past 5 years, the number of people viewing your Facebook posts has decreased significantly.

In this recent article, Neil Patel talks about why this has occurred and what you can to to improve the organic reach of your posts going forward.

Right now, the average page has an organic reach of about 6%.

image18.png

the organic reach of one of your posts (calculated on a post-by-post basis) is determined by five main factors.

Factor #1 ? A user?s previous interactions with page: If a user likes, comments, or clicks on every link each time you post on your page, it?s safe to say that this user loves seeing your content....

Factor #2 ? A user?s previous interactions with post type: In addition to preferring content from certain pages, users might also prefer certain types of posts....

Factor #3 ? The interactions from other users who saw the post: When you post something new on your page, Facebook shows it to a small group of people (maybe 25-100). Then, if those users like the post (overall), it will give your post a higher score and show it to more of your audience....

Factor #5 ? When it was posted: Finally, this simple factor comes from the ?time decay? component of the algorithm. When a post is brand new, it?s likely going to be the most interesting that it?s ever going to be. Over time, the score of a post goes down as it gets older.

Read more...

image18.png

So does #5 imply that we should "share" clients' blog posts or pages multiple times over the course of a day or two?

I don't think so. It's more about not posting in prime time since it will quickly get buried, much like on Twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks David!

And on a semi related note saw this yesterday and although I don't really use FB much seems like it might be a good option for local businesses?

<a href="http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/how-to-use-facebook-local-awareness-ads-to-target-customers/">How to Use Facebook Local Awareness Ads to Target Customers : Social Media Examiner</a>

We have found that while their strategies don't always work at the consultant level, musicians (namely the ones still trying to "make-it") have some pretty great hacks for fighting back against Facebook's Edgerank. One DJ would simply wait for his post to get buried, then like it, unlike it five minutes later and he was able to keep all his most important content buoyed to the top of feeds. He explained how this created a snowball effect for him since he would get more fans with the trick and everytime he got more fans, him simply re-liking a status become much more powerful. Great share!

Interesting strategy. I will try that. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have found that while their strategies don't always work at the consultant level, musicians (namely the ones still trying to "make-it") have some pretty great hacks for fighting back against Facebook's Edgerank. One DJ would simply wait for his post to get buried, then like it, unlike it five minutes later and he was able to keep all his most important content buoyed to the top of feeds. He explained how this created a snowball effect for him since he would get more fans with the trick and everytime he got more fans, him simply re-liking a status become much more powerful. Great share!

What does everyone think about this now. Is this a safe and worthwhile tactic now?

I can't speak on behalf of that particular strategy but I saw one the other day that seemed like pure gold. It involved getting people to check-in to Facebook to use your wifi:

Anissa says the Facebook Wi-Fi feature is really cool because whenever someone enters your business and connects to your WiFi, the feature displays your business’s Facebook page and prompts them to check into Facebook

At that point, to connect to your WiFi, they can either enter a password or check in on Facebook. Anissa says nearly every one of their patients checks in.

When people check in on Facebook, a post appears in their news feed, saying they’re at your business. Anissa says the check-in prompts their friends who are looking for a dentist to start asking questions and having conversations about her business. She says that conversation is like amped-up traditional word of mouth.

Also, when people check in, they can enter text or leave a review for the business page. Anissa says her practice asks patients to use that space to write a review if they’ve had a great experience. She explains that the review helps her practice grow and connect with other people who are perhaps fearful or looking for a dentist. Her patients are happy to do it.

I think this is great! As FB moves its weight toward interaction I this is a great idea. Especially if that check-in gets comments and likes. Thanks, Joy!

I can't speak on behalf of that particular strategy but I saw one the other day that seemed like pure gold. It involved getting people to check-in to Facebook to use your wifi:

Anissa says the Facebook Wi-Fi feature is really cool because whenever someone enters your business and connects to your WiFi, the feature displays your business?s Facebook page and prompts them to check into Facebook

At that point, to connect to your WiFi, they can either enter a password or check in on Facebook. Anissa says nearly every one of their patients checks in.

I'm confused. How do you log in to someone's WiFi from Facebook? Or do you mean they check into Facebook from the office using the office WiFi?

One of the concerns I might have here is customers leaving a review for a business while using that business's wifi. Perhaps on FB it is not a concern but I thought it was a concern for Google?

Otherwise I love the idea and will share with a client :)

@djbaxter - this is the feature: https://www.facebook.com/business/a/facebook-wifi/businessowner Basically to use the free wifi you have to check-in to the business Facebook page.

@digitaldar - as far as I know Facebook doesn't have a review filter like Yelp or Google. Since this is a feature run by Facebook themselves, I don't think they would remove the reviews.

@digitaldar - as far as I know Facebook doesn't have a review filter like Yelp or Google. Since this is a feature run by Facebook themselves, I don't think they would remove the reviews.

Facebook has a feature that requires people to check in if logging into someone's wifi? I think I read that wrong. The logistics of that would be impressive. It would show a real concern to help local businesses (as well as themselves of course).

Could you clarify, Joy?

Joshua,

You can read more about it here: https://www.facebook.com/help/126760650808045

I've visited businesses who have it before. Basically when you connect to their wifi, it sends you to a login page (kinda like you get at airports or Starbucks) and the person has to check-in to be able to utilize the free wifi.

Joshua,

You can read more about it here: https://www.facebook.com/help/126760650808045

I've visited businesses who have it before. Basically when you connect to their wifi, it sends you to a login page (kinda like you get at airports or Starbucks) and the person has to check-in to be able to utilize the free wifi.

Wow, had no idea they implemented this for businesses! That's pretty awesome.

Anissa says the Facebook Wi-Fi feature is really cool because whenever someone enters your business and connects to your WiFi, the feature displays your business?s Facebook page and prompts them to check into Facebook

When people check in on Facebook, a post appears in their news feed, saying they?re at your business. Anissa says the check-in prompts their friends who are looking for a dentist to start asking questions and having conversations about her business. She says that conversation is like amped-up traditional word of mouth.

Also, when people check in, they can enter text or leave a review for the business page. Anissa says her practice asks patients to use that space to write a review if they?ve had a great experience. She explains that the review helps her practice grow and connect with other people who are perhaps fearful or looking for a dentist. Her patients are happy to do it.

Interesting, thanks!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom