More threads by NicoleWattam

NicoleWattam

Reaction score
I have a medical spa business who's GBP started showing up for search terms related to dermatologists. In fact, "dermatologist [location]" is now the top search term in the search breakdown on GBP.
They are not a dermatologist, and they do not want to show up for/get inquires because of this search term.
There is no mention of dermatology on the website, however the content mostly includes skin care treatments and products that they offer (like Botox, facials, etc).
The website is not ranking organically for "dermatologist [location]", only the local pack (they are ranking second).

Their categories on GBP are "Medical spa", "health and beauty shop" and "laser hair removal service". We removed "skin care clinic" from the categories a few months ago, thinking this might be the trigger.
No other medical spas in the area are appearing for the term dermatologists, only a dermatologist (medical clinic category), skin care clinic, and other Doctors.
There are very few GBP profiles that appear, including one 458km away.

They are not running any Google Ads.
Any suggestions to get Google to stop showing them for "dermatology" would be greatly appreciated!

In my experience, it is extremely hard to get Google to stop showing a GBP for a specific keyword, especially in this case where there is no mention of the keyword on the website or GBP yet it still shows. If the website doesn't show for "dermatologist" terms that's good, but clearly Google associates the GBP with that term.

Try removing some categories/services and see if that helps. Maybe just use 1 category, "Medical spa" and see if that works.

I'm going to assume that there are keywords like "dermatology" on the client website.

They have terms like "dermaplaning", "edermastamp" and "Juvaderm". Those are microneedling and filler services. They are "physician-supervised"/ "doctor supervised clinic" but aren't dermatologists. And sell "medical skin care" products. Do you think all these words would simply be telling Google they are a dermatologist? They don't treat skin diseases/conditions like a dermatologist would.

I meant more specifically the world "dermatology" or "dermatological" (e.g. "dermatological science" puff language about such products).

I've noticed google mucking around medical spa categories and replacing the main cat with "dermatological clinic" sometimes recently, but I'm not clear whether there's any connection or it's a regional thing. In Quebec, we've not had Google touch categories on its own before, so it's been a big surprise regardless of what changed exactly in the algorithm applied here.

I meant more specifically the world "dermatology" or "dermatological" (e.g. "dermatological science" puff language about such products).

I've noticed google mucking around medical spa categories and replacing the main cat with "dermatological clinic" sometimes recently, but I'm not clear whether there's any connection or it's a regional thing. In Quebec, we've not had Google touch categories on its own before, so it's been a big surprise regardless of what changed exactly in the algorithm applied here.

Okay, I will keep searching for those keywords on the site, specifically if any of the products they sell have "dermatologist recommended" or anything similar in the descriptions. We did incorporate WooCommerce products earlier this year, so that is something different they have going on.

I do hope you find something that can be linked. Also, could it be something with with overlooked stuff? e.g. services/service descriptions, products, or even reviews? I know manual products and service descriptions are not supposed to effect ranking, but at this point it seems useful to have a look...

In my experience, it is extremely hard to get Google to stop showing a GBP for a specific keyword, especially in this case where there is no mention of the keyword on the website or GBP yet it still shows. If the website doesn't show for "dermatologist" terms that's good, but clearly Google associates the GBP with that term.

Try removing some categories/services and see if that helps. Maybe just use 1 category, "Medical spa" and see if that works.

Thanks Elizabeth. Sounds like it's worth a try for now. I'm sure it's a long process to try to get Google to unassociated, if possible at all!

I do hope you find something that can be linked. Also, could it be something with with overlooked stuff? e.g. services/service descriptions, products, or even reviews? I know manual products and service descriptions are not supposed to effect ranking, but at this point it seems useful to have a look...

Appreciate it, thank you. Time to search through everything!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

Events

LocalU October 2024 Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom