More threads by Mahfuz Alam

Mahfuz Alam

Reaction score
So it is becoming an issue and not sure how to fix this, even if there is a solution for this. here are seven examples of different businesses where I noticed business outside of the city ranking in the local pack. it's not that prominent businesses are not available, they are available but google just picking businesses from near by cities.

Screenshot at Aug 29 06-26-44.jpg

Screenshot at Aug 29 06-26-26.jpg

Screenshot at Aug 29 06-26-08.jpg

Screenshot at Aug 29 06-25-54.jpg

Screenshot at Aug 29 06-25-31.jpg

Screenshot at Aug 29 06-25-08.jpg

Screenshot at Aug 29 06-24-44.jpg

I've definitely seen a trend where having an address on your listing can help with ranking for "near me" queries. Is that a pattern you're seeing with this example (it's hard to tell from just screenshots)? Are the ones that are missing for "near me" the ones that are set up as service area businesses with no directions icon?

I've definitely seen a trend where having an address on your listing can help with ranking for "near me" queries. Is that a pattern you're seeing with this example (it's hard to tell from just screenshots)? Are the ones that are missing for "near me" the ones that are set up as service area businesses with no directions icon?

Joy, Thanks for your reply.
So all of them have addresses visible. Also in my screenshots, you will see businesses without addresses are visible.

Now that you pointed out that issue, do you think I should test by removing cities that I have listed as service areas, even though I have the address visible?

It started after mid-June 2024. I am not sure if you see the same issue for your clients. I noticed some patterns though.

1. This happens in a mid-size city. for example, Stoneham, MA. When i was searching i found businesses from Boston, MA in the local pack. But that is not the case in cities like Dallas or Tampa.
2. It seems to me Google is powering businesses from nearby cities that have good reviews, good health, and a well-recognized brand.

I am frustrated and any help from you will be appreciated.

generally speaking
  • I find that without a city name keyword, google is more liberal on the distance factor
  • Near me searches are basically immune to city limits (i.e. if you're near the city limit, it doesn't matter if the distances crosses that limit)
  • For small cities where it basically can't fill a threepack or even a right-hand panel (though this is probably not at issue here), Google is more willing to basically ignore the city limit rules entirely
    • This may be partly because for some reason google is flip-flopping all the time on whether it wants to have the city limits at all for most Quebec municipalities, but it was the case even back when the limits were reliably showing.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

Events

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom