Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Was doing some research for a different Dentist.

Noticed that one listing that's always in the Pack, had dropped out and was down below pack in pure organic. Investigated...

Here is the listing. Don't want to mention names. KW = alpharetta pediatric dentist

Found a violation. One of their categories is simply the city. Alpharetta. No KW or service or anything, just the city.

So I'm not surprised if they got a penalty, I'm just kinda curious about how the penalty (if there even is one) was applied.

Because even though they dropped out of the pack, they still rank D in maps. You'd think if it was a penalty, they'd be penalized in map search as well.

Anyway I have a meeting, so no more time to research this one. Just sharing an observation. More later maybe if I have time. Or if anyone has any observations, please share.

Keenan Glass

Reaction score
Saw something like this today with business that had extra kw in title.

But I think there might be something more going on.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Thanks Keenan. Could be. My spidey senses have been tingling and several here have reported ranking drops over the past couple days.

But additionally this particular SERP is especially volatile. Have been tracking for months with screenshots and listings drop in and out of the pack constantly - almost like she's purposely shuffling, or testing, or overly fickle in this market. :eek:

So correlation is not causation and the cat may not be the problem.
Just thought I'd mention, since I noticed it.

Just finally made time to check MM and this listing was copied over by Places Data Copier, April of this year, with Alpharetta in the cats from the get-go. Surprised the algo didn't catch it.

Keenan Glass

Reaction score
I noticed the MM listing too but I don't think it's relevant.

After reviewing the rankings between Maps and Google, I think you're only seeing two blended results with the remaining 7-pack filled in with local listings. But the top 4 organic listings are not getting blended at all. That might explain why the Polkadot dentist is no longer in the 7-pk.

I would say it is interesting that the remaining 7-pk fall in order, but the last three are from positions 12, 14 and 17 where you would expect them to be more like 8, 9 and 10.

Edit: or something like that.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I noticed the MM listing too but I don't think it's relevant.

I was only pointing to MM to point out the timing of that bad cat. I thought if I could see that by chance it was just added and then they dropped out of pack it may point to a penalty. But it's been there since inception AND they are still ranking in maps so does not seem that relevant I agree.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Interesting study of Google clustering results in Local Packs Local Search 1
mborgelt Interesting Google Local Study Based on Over 100,000 URLs Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Interesting Double Page 1 Google Local Ranking Local Search 3
JoshuaMackens Interesting Client Drop - Google Maps Local Search 7
H Plumber Near Me - Google trends interesting Local Search 1
J Interesting, Sneak Way of Trying to Game Multi Location Google My Business Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 6
pbarnhart "Explore" feature in new Google maps makes some interesting recommendations Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J Incorrect City for Google Points of Interest Carousel Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet Research Shows Under-cover Google Employees are "Top Reviewers" - Interesting Local Reviews 0
T Google No Longer Deletes Duplicates...Hmmmmm...That's Interesting Google Duplicates & Merges 7
Travis Van Slooten Google No Longer Deletes Duplicates...Hmmmmm...That's Interesting Google Duplicates & Merges 7
C Google Reviews Posting / Not Posting - Interesting Find Help & Support for Google Local 11
djbaxter Interesting graphic on reach of social networks Mobile & Social 1
Zdenek Horak Interesting review: the owner sends an email and offers money Local Reviews 5
Blake Denman Interesting featured snippet above map pack Local Search 3
L Interesting Suspension Issue Local Search 3
rutkap Got an interesting "Wal-Mart" scenario Help & Support for Google Local 3
axeonlineblog Hi I'm Axe Colver, Interested in SEO Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 5
Rich Owings Interesting BBB stats Ranking Puzzles 5
Rich Owings Conflicts of interest for agency focusing on projects (and not on monthly clients) Consultant's Corner 5
freerunr Interesting Things in Local Finder: Question Mark and "Write a Review" Google News: Important Changes & Features 2
JoyHawkins "Interesting Finds" on Mobile Searches Google News: Important Changes & Features 6
Tim Colling "Correcting" categories - interesting corner case NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 7
MarketingGiant New Local Tour / Points of Interest SERP Local Search 1
Dustybones 7 Hyperlocal Strategies You Can Take To Keep Readers Interested Local Search 2
Margaret Ornsby Here's an interesting view of the algo... Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet 4 New Pigeon Posts with Some Very Interesting Takeaways Google My Business & Google Maps 0
L Creating Sticky Interesting Content for Boring SMBs Local Content 0
Linda Buquet Creating Sticky Interesting Content for Boring SMBs Local Content 0
A Sex crime lawyer tampa - Interesting results Ranking Puzzles 4
Andrew Polanski Sex crime lawyer tampa - Interesting results Ranking Puzzles 4
JoshuaMackens Interesting Case Study - See If You Can Figure It Out Help & Support for Google Local 8
Chris McCreery Conflict of Interest Consultant's Corner 13
Phil Rozek Interesting paid Q&A site - Tuteable.com Consultant's Corner 0
M Interesting...Typing In Dentist + City in Local Google My Business & Google Maps 5
G Interesting Problem with Verifying a G+Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 4
H Interesting Search Results Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Z Interesting SERP Google My Business & Google Maps 6
m_j_gregory Interesting Shot - Places Dashboard Local Search 14
Nikki Stine Are negative Google reviews due to supply shortages considered 'off-topic'? Local Reviews 0
Jeffrey Taylor Adding a new category to Google my Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
david.victor Attribute used as Category by Google on Maps NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 0
M Google Search Console Errors "Coverage and Breadcrumbs"? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Lachlan_Wells Accept/Discard Google Updates - Does this feature work for you? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
E "Duplicate" Profile That Google Claims We Already Manage? Google Duplicates & Merges 5
T Can a Credit Union Create Google Posts Without Falling Under Prohibited Content? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 1
JamesGreenaway Google Insights query Google My Business & Google Maps 1
RobertCarnitas Google Posts Live on GMB, But Not Showing in GMB Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4