More threads by JS Girard

JS Girard

Solutions
Reaction score
I've taken notice recently that when keywords are in the name, they seem to have a lot more impact when they are an exact match. This is specifically in relation to multi-word queries. What I mean is that if attempting to rank for "Terrebonne Lawyer", you want that exact string and any variation other than capitalisations (plurals are a bit of a crapshoot, though) such as e.g. "lawyer terrebonne", "terrebonne divorce lawyer" "terrebonne - lawyer" are significantly less efficient.

Now, if one assumes that keyword in names work because Google is attempting brand matching, this makes perfect sense, but I have never seen any discussion floating around on this specific point (because Google insists that you ought to not use extra keywords) so I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.

Yes, I have seen that as well. Pretty sad tbh.

I understand why they want the business name only, but if the business name has a keyword in it, they will always take the top spot. I wish the business name wasn't weighted as it is. When you're targeting "phoenix pest control company" and there's a company literally named "phoenix pest control company", there is never a way to outrank them on a map.

And while I'm ranting, the whole EMD (Exact Match Domain) which Google continues to say is not a problem, it is a problem! If I have that exact domain, I will dominate anyone else trying to rank for it. Again, something that shouldn't have so much weight --- I say this only because I didn't get that domain :) If I had that domain, then I'm perfectly happy ;)

It's interesting to still see this in search results.

When companies are kw stuffing they are clearly gaming the system, which is why it makes sense to be harder to get a GBP verified and the suspension reversal process is getting more complex.

I remember when "near me" was a part of SEO strategies because KW research tools showed that in the longtail kw list (and they actually still do). Some companies built brands around that strategy . . . actually one I drive by quite often still catches my attention every time: 2023-10-19_10-07-51.

Google then changed "near me" into a search operator equal to "nearby" which took the searcher's location into consideration and discarded that part of the query for the results displayed.

In the case of a company that genuinely is operating as "City KW" how would you programmatically differentiate the intention of the searcher to be looking for keywords vs a brand that happens to be an exact match for the keywords?

Hi All,

We have found the exact same thing. A business is dominating in our city purely by having an exact name match to the query (and similar queries). Even though we have helpful, user-first content, and have many 5 star organic reviews, all the while we are located closer to the city centre. To make matters worse they don’t have a shop front (whilst we do) and they seem to operate out of an office with no signage whatsoever. Their Facebook page explicitly says that they are an online business only. I have submitted all this to Google yet nothing is done.

We have even attempted to buy their business because based on the current algorithm there is zero chance we can rank in the map pack as their name triggers a knowledge panel instead of maps.

The city search is: Perth (Australia)
Keyword: Perth Baby Gifts

But their knowledge panel triggers for Perth plus a range of keywords including baby shower, baby hamper, etc etc.

Thank you for your time and appreciate any suggestions you may have because you can probably tell how frustrated we are.
Regards

Luisa

I remember when "near me" was a part of SEO strategies because KW research tools showed that in the longtail kw list (and they actually still do). Some companies built brands around that strategy . . . actually one I drive by quite often still catches my attention every time: 2023-10-19_10-07-51.

Yeah, I've got these guys around the corner from me - Home - Fence Company Near Me

Along these same lines - take a look at the Weed Control (lawn service) industry. Anyone typing "Weed Control City St") or Weed Control Near Me, or any variation of that, will always receive map listings that contain "Weed" in the name of the business, exclusively. In other words, if your lawn care business doesn't have "Weed" in the name - you're screwed and will never show up on the map for weed related search queries. Try explaining this to your Lawn Service clients... I've sent several messages to Google and they always return a canned response as if I'm clueless and need instruction on how to show up on GBP. Feel free to test in any city in the USA.

Along these same lines - take a look at the Weed Control (lawn service) industry. Anyone typing "Weed Control City St") or Weed Control Near Me, or any variation of that, will always receive map listings that contain "Weed" in the name of the business, exclusively. In other words, if your lawn care business doesn't have "Weed" in the name - you're screwed and will never show up on the map for weed related search queries. Try explaining this to your Lawn Service clients... I've sent several messages to Google and they always return a canned response as if I'm clueless and need instruction on how to show up on GBP. Feel free to test in any city in the USA.
OMG yes. I have been tracking a SERP with this keyword for a lawn care client for years, always hoping Google will correct it with some algo update. I even tweeted it to Danny Sullivan years ago as a stupid example.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom