Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Want to share one of my very fav SEO bloggers - Michael Martinez.

I doubt many of you read him, he isn't well known in most circles and doesn't focus on local. But he DOES focus on the more technical side of SEO and goes DEEP on the business of doing SEO. He writes about heavy, thought provoking stuff. Below is a sample. You should check out more of his work.

<a href="http://www.seo-theory.com/2012/07/25/latest-trends-in-seo-time-and-money-wasting-practices/">Latest Trends in SEO Time and Money-wasting Practices</a>

The snowball rolled downhill for about 9 years before becoming large enough that it forced Google to do something about the hill. Unfortunately, Google’s knee-jerk reaction to the SEO community’s knee-jerk reaction to misinformation about how the Google algorithms work has led to another SEO community knee-jerk reaction. It’s like watching a bad martial arts movie in slow motion, not because we’re all fans of “The Matrix” but because it still takes so long to play out these inefficient scenarios.

The Long Preamble Starts Here If You Want To Skip It

The Problem: SEOs need to talk about something with frustrated clients. Up until a few months ago you could always complain that your client’s competitors were winning on the basis of links (which is technically not true — no one has ever been able to “win” on the basis of links because the game has never been defined). Imaginary winning aside, it’s the perception that the other guy is doing something “better” that leaves people frustrated and angry. I have often said that if you don’t know how much money the other guy is making you have no reason to complain about how much he is beating the crap out of you in the SERPs. And if he is your affiliate then you KNOW how much money he is making and unless you’re insane he is making less money than you. So who is winning in the SERPs again?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Linda Buquet Trending in Local Search: Latest Forum Posts & Tweets Local Search 2
Ben Walsh Latest Best Practices For Dynamic Tracking with CallRail? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
SaraGarrison "Latest Photos" Display on Mobile Chrome Browser Google My Business & Google Maps 1
djbaxter Testing latest blog addon Admin Stuff 1
djbaxter Stay current with the latest WordPress and Plugins Security Issues with this newsletter Websites, Software, and Security 0
chrish What is the latest with using a PO Box and/or an address @ somewhere like a UPS store? Moving or Name Changes 9
AndySimpson Bing Places - Get our latest Android app, coming soon for iOS Local Search 1
Eric Rohrback Latest WBF - Local Links for Non Local Businesses Local Search 0
Linda Buquet LATEST: Confirmed Google Update: Pigeon Makes a Christmas Flight Overseas Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Lloyd Silver Any changes to best practices for real estate agents due to latest Google Local algo Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Margaret Ornsby What the?! Places pages still? Or is this a new "feature" of the latest "updates"? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Latest Blog in Postbit Modified Admin Stuff 11
Linda Buquet Local Search Roundup - Summer's Over, Catch up on the Latest News Here Local Search 0
R Trends we're seeing (thought I’d share) Local Search 1
KristiSimone Cookies pop-up on website is trending. Should we add? Websites, Software, and Security 5
H Plumber Near Me - Google trends interesting Local Search 1
Yan Gilbert Google Trends vs Autocomplete Local Search 1
djbaxter Trending Admin Stuff 0
Roald "Trending this week" icon Google News: Important Changes & Features 6
HurricaneK8 SEO Trends 2016 Organic SEO 8
Dustybones Study On Click-through Rate and Average Ranking Trends Local Search 2
Dustybones Digging Into Mary Meeker's 2015 Internet Trends Report Local Search 0
Dustybones 25 years of SEO Trends Organic SEO 0
Andy 12 Social Media Marketing Trends for Small Business Mobile & Social 0
Dustybones 4 trends for location based services in 2015 Local Search 0
Linda Buquet How to Use Google Trends for Local Keyword Research Local Search 0
Dustybones Google Trends Now allows you to subscribe to any search topic Local Search 0
Linda Buquet Fine Tune Local Keyword Research with Google Trends Local Search 1
Linda Buquet Trends Shaping Local Search in 2013 - Free Webinar by comScore, Localeze, 15Miles Local Search 1
djbaxter Trends Affecting The Local, Social & Mobile Industry Local Search 0
Linda Buquet 5 Very Important Local and SoMo Trends Mobile & Social 1
Colan Nielsen NEW Introducing a Complete Local SEO Platform by Persuaded.io LSF News and Announcements 7
T What is the best reporting tool for Local SEO Recycle Bin 0
C How to get your company to do SEO... Organic SEO 1
Shelly Pros & Cons of Facebook Locations for Local SEO (for a Credit Union) Multi-Location Issues 3
rich_marlatt What Wordpress plugins do you recommend for SEO and Schema Markup? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
rich_marlatt Do the number of backlinks from a domain have any impact on local SEO? Local Search 2
brettmandoes Hiring SEO Analyst - Full Time - Remote Accepted Local SEO Job Board 1
ganapathy Wix Platform From SEO point of view Websites, Software, and Security 5
Annika Neudecker One year later, is your GMB/local SEO traffic still up? Local Search 3
Chandra What is the state of reputation management in SEO and marketing? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
djbaxter New Local SEO tool from BrightLocal: Local Search Grid Local SEO Tools & Software 7
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
F Google My Business local seo Google Local 101 3
A Pointing SEO friendly domain to old domain and its effect on GMB ranking? Local Search 4
david.victor Best SEO/GMB Reporting Tools for Outreach? Consultant's Corner 5
B SEO A/B Testing is possible... And it is easier than you think Recycle Bin 0
J Voice SEO suggestions? Organic SEO 2
M Client Says SEO Should Be Paid By Commission Only Consultant's Corner 15
Kayla Adam Canadian Local SEO Agency Needed Local Search 3