Caroline

Reaction score
Hello,

A client of mine has emailed to say that he linked his Google Adwords account to his GMB page and he says his rankings have jumped within 48 hours. Is this a consequence of doing this or just a coincidence?

Any experience of this?

Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
Coincidence. Linking any of the tools together will do nothing except share data between them.

I would examine what changes the client made to the website, what links they may have received, what other marketing may have taken place, etc.

Linking the two together won't change rankings. If he's running Adwords, then it's possible people are remembering the brand name and creating more demand for the company than there was before. Also worth knowing which keywords ranking improved.

There's a lot more to examine, but I can definitively say that I have never seen or heard of any real cases where linking properties caused a ranking jump. There's usually something else to the story that hasn't been disclosed.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B "Check Insurance Info" Link In GMB - How'd it get there? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
W Gathering GMB Dashboard Links Multi-Location Issues 1
Igor GMB Virtual care link auto updates to wrong URL Google My Business & Google Maps 5
N Should I use a GMB Website to get a citation and links? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Kurt Kolander GMB and Google Earth Links Google My Business & Google Maps 2
LocalSEODat Using UTM for GMB link to website. Does that mess w/ citation matching, rankings or anything negative effect? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Aly Kurtz Removing map pin that isn't linked to a GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 0
M GMB Virtual Care Link - Does the URL have to be on the website? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J Linking retail store within museum to same GMB Help & Support for Google Local 7
Colan Nielsen GMB Adds Coronavirus Help Center Link in GMB Dashboard NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
Visual Realm Testimonials On Website Linking to Real GMB reviews Local Search 1
J GMB listing link Google Local 101 16
Creativedge GMB Category: Why is "Dental Implants" linked to "Periodontist?" Help & Support for Google Local 5
ABuck Missing UTM Links in GMB Local Search 7
M GMB link to homepage instead of building location pages to link to? Multi-Location Issues 8
L Link to Single Platform on GMB Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 11
PaulSteinbrueck GMB Short Name Option Not Availble. Direct Link? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
A GMB now shows a link for reviews Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Colan Nielsen GMB Testing "View previous posts on Google" Link in Bottom of Knowledge Panel Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Conor Treacy "Posts" link from GMB - 404 Error Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Nathan Schoell Does linking YouTube channel with GMB listing benefit SEO? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
G Links to GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 13
C GMB Menu Link - source for traffic in Google Analytics? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
T Cross linking GMB with other local directories Google My Business & Google Maps 4
C Google Appending String to My Links in GMB Help & Support for Google Local 6
pbarnhart GMB Reviewers Now Link to MapMaker profiles Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet How To Get Google Review Links after the GMB Update with Grade.us via Greg Gifford Local Reviews 2
Dustybones Link directly to GMB "Write a review" box not working Local Reviews 8
Jim Froling Franchisor's Link or Franchisee's Link to GMB? Help & Support for Google Local 2
chadkimball Trying to change my signature from Chad Kimball Maps to Chaddo.com as the link anchor Forum Tech Support 2
TriciaClements UTM for forwarding and affiliate links Local Search 2
Colan Nielsen Find Local Link Opportunities with ZipSprout’s FREE Local Sponsorship Finder! Local SEO Tools & Software 8
djbaxter NEW Forcing a link to NOFOLLOW How To Guides 0
Ben Walsh The client won't drop it with disavowing links Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Brian Barwig Unconventional Approaches to Local Link Building Local Search 0
Marty Twelves Local links: are they really that much better? Local Search 1
J Unable to change the custom URL link on YouTube for a rebranded business Local Content 2
J Tutorial Q&A Link Building for DA & Referral Traffic Organic SEO 2
Niki Wrong facebook link on Google business listing Help & Support for Google Local 2
hajnasiewicz Place an order link Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
A Reservations Preferred link Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Scott ClientClicks Local service ads - change link? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
K Broken Place_ID Review Link Local Reviews 11
PKLilikoi "Redirect Notice" in Google causing Toxic Link issue in Tools Organic SEO 3
djbaxter Google Treats Affiliate Links As Nofollow, rel=sponsored Organic SEO 0
djbaxter Upcoming API Change to break Facebook, Instagram oEmbed Links October 24 Mobile & Social 0
C Service Area Business Links Local Search 8
Jim Froling Great Link Building Lessons by Base Academy Recycle Bin 0
A Disavowing Press Release Links Organic SEO 5
Annika Neudecker Mass disappearance of website links Multi-Location Issues 4