More threads by Jon123

Jon123

Reaction score
Our museum website has a GMB profile and is on a separate domain from our retail store which is at the same location. What would be the best practice to let Google know that the retail store is actually the same business? Right now if you'd search for the store, you wouldn't see the museum's knowledge panel and the store's website is on page 2 if you search for the museum.

I am thinking of putting the localbusiness schema with the store as a "department" on the retail site with a different phone number. Would I also do this for the museum domain? Is there more I should do?

@Jon123 Try submitting an edit to indicate that the store is located in the museum. You need to submit the edit via Google Maps. If that doesn't work you would need to contact GMB support.

1586262716297.png

That's a great idea, but the store doesn't have its own GMB account so it's not on Google maps. Should it have its own account? It's a part of the museum but is a full fledged store.

Yep, the store should qualify for a department GMB listing.

See - Guidelines for representing your business on Google - Google My Business Help

Departments within other businesses, universities, or institutions
Departments within businesses, universities, hospitals, and government institutions may have their own listings on Google.
Auto dealers have specific and separate guidelines. Get started with Google My Business for auto dealers.
Learn more
Publicly-facing departments that operate as distinct entities should have their own page. The exact name of each department must be different from that of the main business and that of other departments. Typically such departments have a separate customer entrance and should each have distinct categories. Their hours may sometimes differ from those of the main business.
  • Acceptable (as distinct listings):
    • "Walmart Vision Center"
    • "Sears Auto Center"
    • "Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Dermatology"
  • Not acceptable (as distinct listings):
    • The Apple products section of Best Buy
    • The hot food bar inside Whole Foods Market
For each department, the category that is the most representative of that department must be different from that of the main business and that of other departments.
  • The main business "Wells Fargo" has the category "Bank" whereas the department "Wells Fargo Advisors" has the category "Financial Consultant"
  • The main business "South Bay Toyota" has the category "Toyota Dealer" whereas the "South Bay Toyota Service & Parts" has the category "Auto Repair Shop" (plus the category "Auto Parts Store")
  • The main business "GetGo" has the category "Convenience Store" (plus the category "Sandwich Shop") whereas the department "GetGo Fuel" has the category "Gas Station", and the department "WetGo" has the category "Car Wash"

One more question. Should I add the department section of the localbusiness schema only on the store's pages or on both domains?

I would add it on any pages that you need to clarify to Google that it is a department.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom