Jon123

Reaction score
Our museum website has a GMB profile and is on a separate domain from our retail store which is at the same location. What would be the best practice to let Google know that the retail store is actually the same business? Right now if you'd search for the store, you wouldn't see the museum's knowledge panel and the store's website is on page 2 if you search for the museum.

I am thinking of putting the localbusiness schema with the store as a "department" on the retail site with a different phone number. Would I also do this for the museum domain? Is there more I should do?

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
@Jon123 Try submitting an edit to indicate that the store is located in the museum. You need to submit the edit via Google Maps. If that doesn't work you would need to contact GMB support.

1586262716297.png

Jon123

Reaction score
That's a great idea, but the store doesn't have its own GMB account so it's not on Google maps. Should it have its own account? It's a part of the museum but is a full fledged store.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Yep, the store should qualify for a department GMB listing.

See - Guidelines for representing your business on Google - Google My Business Help

Departments within other businesses, universities, or institutions
Departments within businesses, universities, hospitals, and government institutions may have their own listings on Google.
Auto dealers have specific and separate guidelines. Get started with Google My Business for auto dealers.
Learn more
Publicly-facing departments that operate as distinct entities should have their own page. The exact name of each department must be different from that of the main business and that of other departments. Typically such departments have a separate customer entrance and should each have distinct categories. Their hours may sometimes differ from those of the main business.
  • Acceptable (as distinct listings):
    • "Walmart Vision Center"
    • "Sears Auto Center"
    • "Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Dermatology"
  • Not acceptable (as distinct listings):
    • The Apple products section of Best Buy
    • The hot food bar inside Whole Foods Market
For each department, the category that is the most representative of that department must be different from that of the main business and that of other departments.
  • The main business "Wells Fargo" has the category "Bank" whereas the department "Wells Fargo Advisors" has the category "Financial Consultant"
  • The main business "South Bay Toyota" has the category "Toyota Dealer" whereas the "South Bay Toyota Service & Parts" has the category "Auto Repair Shop" (plus the category "Auto Parts Store")
  • The main business "GetGo" has the category "Convenience Store" (plus the category "Sandwich Shop") whereas the department "GetGo Fuel" has the category "Gas Station", and the department "WetGo" has the category "Car Wash"

Jon123

Reaction score
One more question. Should I add the department section of the localbusiness schema only on the store's pages or on both domains?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
chadkimball Trying to change my signature from Chad Kimball Maps to Chaddo.com as the link anchor Forum Tech Support 2
TriciaClements UTM for forwarding and affiliate links Local Search 2
Colan Nielsen Find Local Link Opportunities with ZipSprout’s FREE Local Sponsorship Finder! Local SEO Tools & Software 8
B "Check Insurance Info" Link In GMB - How'd it get there? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
W Gathering GMB Dashboard Links Multi-Location Issues 1
djbaxter NEW Forcing a link to NOFOLLOW How To Guides 0
Ben Walsh The client won't drop it with disavowing links Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Brian Barwig Unconventional Approaches to Local Link Building Local Search 0
Marty Twelves Local links: are they really that much better? Local Search 1
J Unable to change the custom URL link on YouTube for a rebranded business Local Content 2
J Tutorial Q&A Link Building for DA & Referral Traffic Organic SEO 2
Niki Wrong facebook link on Google business listing Help & Support for Google Local 2
hajnasiewicz Place an order link Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
A Reservations Preferred link Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Igor GMB Virtual care link auto updates to wrong URL Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Scott ClientClicks Local service ads - change link? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
K Broken Place_ID Review Link Local Reviews 11
PKLilikoi "Redirect Notice" in Google causing Toxic Link issue in Tools Organic SEO 3
djbaxter Google Treats Affiliate Links As Nofollow, rel=sponsored Organic SEO 0
djbaxter Upcoming API Change to break Facebook, Instagram oEmbed Links October 24 Mobile & Social 0
C Service Area Business Links Local Search 8
N Should I use a GMB Website to get a citation and links? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Jim Froling Great Link Building Lessons by Base Academy Recycle Bin 0
Kurt Kolander GMB and Google Earth Links Google My Business & Google Maps 2
A Disavowing Press Release Links Organic SEO 5
Annika Neudecker Mass disappearance of website links Multi-Location Issues 4
coachmarino Links in Services NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
wesduplantier New Maps feature for businesses COVID Support links? Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
B Link building anchor text for local rankings 2020 Organic SEO 1
Lachlan_Wells New 'Order Delivery' buttons can potentially link directly to your website Google My Business & Google Maps 10
K New Appointment Link Feature Google My Business & Google Maps 2
lincolnchan Attribution Links in Clients' Footers Organic SEO 7
LocalSEODat Using UTM for GMB link to website. Does that mess w/ citation matching, rankings or anything negative effect? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Matthew Summers Anyone else see a big change in "blue links" rankings starting around 5.26.20? Google Algorithm Discussions 0
Aly Kurtz Removing map pin that isn't linked to a GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 0
mattrigg Best Practice - Content Assets and Linking Local Content 3
Igor Disabling Website link to Google Business Site Local Search 1
Rich Owings Rotate link Forum Tech Support 3
M GMB Virtual Care Link - Does the URL have to be on the website? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
L 2 year old website with no links, no content dominating local pack?? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
CarrieHill Get Online Care link showing up on Healthcare listings Google My Business & Google Maps 2
P Best Navigation for eCommerce and link sculpting Query Google Algorithm Discussions 3
Mike Yem Automotive - 3rd Party Links Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Colan Nielsen GMB Adds Coronavirus Help Center Link in GMB Dashboard NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
R Clients Willing To Link To Each Other Local Search 5
Sherm CID linking or forwarding Google My Business & Google Maps 3
PaulSteinbrueck Reporting link networks? Organic SEO 3
Cordell Crowley Unwanted Postmates Link on Google Maps Knowledge Panel Google My Business & Google Maps 37
eshad Local links vs general good quality back links? Local Search 9
S [CMcreator] A new SEO Link Building Tool (2020) Recycle Bin 0