standenman

Banned
Reaction score
I have worked hard to cultivate positive client reviews, and I now enjoy a significant leg up on my competitors as we appear in the 7-pack. My business niche has gone from competitive to uber-competitive in the last 4-5 years and I think I am still missing out on many leads because the 7-pack for my competitive keywords consistently shows below the fold.

I have created an AdWords ad to try to parlay my good reviews a little further and direct the eye to the 7-pack down the page. It would seem if this strategy works I would "enjoy" a very low click rate which be very nice, but I would guess going forward Google would view the ad as "unproductive' and both limit showings and increase CPC. On the other hand if I have to pay more for clicks on the ad I wouldfigure I am still ahead in getting results from the ad without paying for a click.

And on this latter point I am concerned and seek input because it is hard to see how the Google greed machine would not punish me in some way eventually.

Attachments

• DenmanLawOfficeLocalReviewStrategy.pdf
    370.3 KB · Views: 683

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi Stan,

It's great you're using PPC, in addition to worrying about your "maps" visibility.

That is not an effective ad. Too many people are going to get lost by looking at that ad. They're going to think the "reviews below" refers to your sitelinks extensions. Or they'll see someone else's ad or Google+ Local listing and forget about you.

Also, as you alluded to, your CTR and QS are going to be in the gutter.

An AdWords ad should exist for one reason: to get the click. Of course, you only want to get clicks from the right people, which is why you use things like negatives.

standenman

Banned
Reaction score
I see your point Phil. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query.

chadkimball

Reaction score
I agree with Phil. Make your advertising so simple that even the stupidest brain dead clicker would understand it. Not being sarcastic either. Ads should be brain dead simple. Think of an ultra confused brand new internet user who is over 80 years old, the ad should make sense to them

Ashwin

Reaction score
I have worked hard to cultivate positive client reviews, and I now enjoy a significant leg up on my competitors as we appear in the 7-pack. My business niche has gone from competitive to uber-competitive in the last 4-5 years and I think I am still missing out on many leads because the 7-pack for my competitive keywords consistently shows below the fold.

I have created an AdWords ad to try to parlay my good reviews a little further and direct the eye to the 7-pack down the page. It would seem if this strategy works I would "enjoy" a very low click rate which be very nice, but I would guess going forward Google would view the ad as "unproductive' and both limit showings and increase CPC. On the other hand if I have to pay more for clicks on the ad I wouldfigure I am still ahead in getting results from the ad without paying for a click.

And on this latter point I am concerned and seek input because it is hard to see how the Google greed machine would not punish me in some way eventually.

Why not use the Adwords Review Ad Extension to do this more effectively? That way, you can display your reviews within the ad unit without confusing users and affecting your CTR.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3465883?hl=en&rd=1

painperdu

Reaction score
Nice thinking outside the box but AdWords doesn't like outside the box thinking and you'll end up with minimum CPC that's higher than if your ad was optimized legitimately.

katandmouse

Reaction score
I agree with Phil. My eye would go to the sitelinks to try and find reviews. I also don't think the message would get me to click.

So you've been doing this since ? That wouldn't matter to me, honestly, especially since so many others claim "experience."

What's your customer's pain? Address that.

This might work better:

"Disability or ERISA Claim Denied?
Call Us for a Free Consultation!"

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter Local SEO Experts You Need to Follow on Twitter Local Search 0
JoyHawkins Local Search Experts Badge Local Search Experts Forum 10
B Looking for Local SEO expert for consulting Local Search 1
Tim Colling "Dofollow" links for Local Search Experts' posts? Local Search Experts Forum 19
JoyHawkins Local Search Experts Badge? Local Search Experts Forum 8
djbaxter Extras for our Local Search Experts Local Search Experts Forum 29
djbaxter Extras for Local Search Experts Admin Stuff 5
JoyHawkins Please Welcome the Local Search Experts! LSF News and Announcements 8
rosie.brightlocal 2018 Expert Local Citation Survey Citations 4
rosie.brightlocal BrightLocal Expert Local Business Link Building Survey Local Search 0
vivekrpatel What Local Experts Think About Higher Rankings and Local Link Outreach Local Search 0
S My first local site, would love an experts take. Help & Support for Google Local 6
Linda Buquet Insights from 56 Local Search Experts - Gold Nuggets Inside Local Search 2
Linda Buquet 9 Local SEO Experts Share 1 Secret to Local Search Success - Search Engine Journal Consultant's Corner 2
Tim Sweeney Become A Local Listing Expert With Localeze? Consultant's Corner 1
Ray Litvak Should Local SEO Experts know web design (HTML/WP)? Consultant's Corner 6
Garrett Sussman Become the Neighborhood Expert Your Community Deserves: Google Local Guides Local Reviews 12
Garrett Sussman Get Your Local Search Answers: Experts and Resources Local Reviews 17
JoyHawkins 34 Experts Share Their #1 Actionable Local SEO Tip Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Solving Local Ranking Mysteries & Local Expert QA - SMX Liveblogs via Bruce Clay Local Search 6
JoyHawkins 15 Local SEO Experts Share Their Hacks Local Search 9
hollypowell Need Local Experts Help Consultant's Corner 8
jessewheel Re: Local SEO Ranking Expert Survey - How Long Does It Take? Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet 40 Experts Share 120 Local Search Tips Local Search 3
AarthiD Moz Local Search Expert Test Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 7
Dustybones 2014 Local SEO Expert Survey: How long to Rank Local Search 5
iFuse Looking To Hire A Local SEO Expert Recycle Bin 1
Linda Buquet Local SEO Priorities Month 1? 7 Experts Weigh In Local Search 2
markethealth02 Could Negative SEO experts be more sexy than regular (local) SEOs soon? Local Search 11
Linda Buquet Local Search Q&A with 6 Leading Local Search Experts Local Search 0
D Re: Local SEO Ranking Expert Survey - How Long Does It Take? Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet I've Seen the Future of Local Search - And it is HERE! 26 Experts Weigh In Local Search 4
Linda Buquet 2013 Local Expert Citation Survey Just Published Citations 0
Linda Buquet The State of Local Search - Experts Speak - Free Webinar Local Search 3
Linda Buquet Ultimate List of Local Search Experts Local Search 5
Linda Buquet Top Local Search Experts Share Work/Life Balance Tips for the New Year Consultant's Corner 4
Linda Buquet Local SEO Ranking Expert Survey - How Long Does It Take? Local Search 13
M Google Local Services Ads - Lack of Leads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 9
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 6
Matt Chauhan Serious Problem With A Dentist's Local Rankings. NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
S Local Services Ads - Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
chrism Local Competitor Keyword Stuffing/Similar Words In GMB Spam on Google 2
buzzrank Home inspector business category not available in Canada, but local competitors have NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
djbaxter New Local SEO tool from BrightLocal: Local Search Grid Local SEO Tools & Software 7
Stef Kiley Temp closed business ranking higher in local pack Help & Support for Google Local 2
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
accessted Local Falcon GMB Question Service Area Businesses 2
F Google My Business local seo Google Local 101 3
S What makes a great Home/Landing Page in Local? Local Search 6
E What is the Click Through Rate / Conversion Rate for GMB or Local 3 Pack listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 3