Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Generally, it's a best practice to use a local number. But as you discovered, and I've seen and heard of many times, lots of top ranking G+ Local pages use an 800 number.

Looking at Google's Quality Guidelines, and reading in between the lines a little, they seem to suggest that a local number is ideal -
  • Use a local phone number instead of a call center number whenever possible.

Nyagoslav

LocalU Faculty
Reaction score
From what Colan cited, and what is very frequently overlooked:

"instead of a call center"

So, what does that mean and why this phrase makes such a big difference? Because, while Google are HORRIBLE at passing messages to the public, they have been quite specific that this simply means that they want to see a direct contact phone to the specific location when they look into a business listing. So if you are calling Bob the Plumber at 123 Sweet Street, no matter if you call his "local" phone number, or his toll-free phone number, or his mobile, they would prefer that (in a perfect world) Bob himself, or a representative of Bob's that works at 123 Sweet Street picks up the phone, and not a call-center girl at 567 Filipino Street half way across the country/world.

Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
However there are some sites that don't allow an 800 number to be used, which then could throw you some issues down the road. If you use an 800 number for Google, you won't be able to use that same 800 number in Yahoo (assuming you're in the US). So that local number from Yahoo could get distributed to a bunch of sites, the 800 number on Google could go to different directories, then you have mismatched info floating around that would require cleanup.

I just tell everyone I work with not to use an 800 number (usually that's a tracking number), and only use the real local business # for local listings. It makes things easier and makes sure we don't run into nasty dupes or other things like that later.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
V Local Services Ad: Does using a different phone number in local services ad effect the organic ranking for my site Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
J Using the phone number of the previous local business Citations 5
J Local Business w/ Multiple Location & Only 1 Phone Number Google My Business & Google Maps 2
H Cheap local phone number Local Search 2
Gsmithmike Can you have two google local listings with same address and different phone numbers? Local Search 3
Tim Colling DUPE - Phone number formatting - does it matter for local search? Recycle Bin 0
Tim Colling Phone number formatting - does it matter for local search? Local Search 2
R Call Forwarding to Local Phone Number Google My Business & Google Maps 5
A Ranking Locally and Nationally with an 800 phone number Help & Support for Google Local 10
E Ranking Nationally and Locally with an 888 phone number Local Search 2
Eric Rohrback Best way to change phone number in G+Local Google My Business & Google Maps 4
secretstache Local BUT Vanity Phone Numbers Local Search 5
C Phone Numbers on Google+ Local Best Practice? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 8
Colan Nielsen Phone Numbers on Google+ Local Best Practice? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 8
Nick Rink Phone number bug on G+ Local Help & Support for Google Local 9
A Different local pack results on Android phone and iphone Local Search 9
Linda Buquet NEW! Social Profile Links & Send to Phone on Google Local Knowledge Graph Google My Business & Google Maps 4
L RIP Map Maker Phone Search - Local Dupe Research Just Got A Lot Harder Google Duplicates & Merges 29
Linda Buquet RIP Map Maker Phone Search - Local Dupe Research Just Got A Lot Harder Google Duplicates & Merges 29
Linda Buquet YAY Phone #s are Back in the Pack - Google Local Update you'll LIKE for a Change! Google My Business & Google Maps 17
Linda Buquet How to Trigger Phone # in the New Local 3 Pack Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Goodbye 7 Packs! Only 3 Packs with No Phone # or Address for All Local Results Google My Business & Google Maps 88
Linda Buquet New Google Local (GMB) Phone Scams Help Doc Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Google Announces Local Phone # Call Forwarding for AdWords Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Linda Buquet Getting those Naggy Local Citation Phone Verifications Done - Free Workflow Doc Citations 2
chadkimball Google Plus Local Phone Support Australia Google My Business & Google Maps 1
A Google Local Phone support now accepts screenshots Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Susan Walsh Google+ Local (Places for Business) phone support Google My Business & Google Maps 3
J Will Phone # On Adwords Effect Rank On Google+ Local? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Google+ Local Phone Support - Run Down of My 1st Support Call Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Linda Buquet HUGE NEWS! Phone Support for Google Local DATA Problems Just Launched Google My Business & Google Maps 40
Linda Buquet NEW! Direct Phone Support for Google+ Local Verification Issues Google My Business & Google Maps 17
M Google Local Services Ads - Lack of Leads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 9
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 6
Matt Chauhan Serious Problem With A Dentist's Local Rankings. NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
S Local Services Ads - Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
chrism Local Competitor Keyword Stuffing/Similar Words In GMB Spam on Google 2
buzzrank Home inspector business category not available in Canada, but local competitors have NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
djbaxter New Local SEO tool from BrightLocal: Local Search Grid Local SEO Tools & Software 7
Stef Kiley Temp closed business ranking higher in local pack Help & Support for Google Local 2
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
accessted Local Falcon GMB Question Service Area Businesses 2
F Google My Business local seo Google Local 101 3
S What makes a great Home/Landing Page in Local? Local Search 6
E What is the Click Through Rate / Conversion Rate for GMB or Local 3 Pack listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
J New local pack display? Google Algorithm Discussions 2
N Dedicated local search Local Search 12
djbaxter Webinar The State of Local Search 2021 [Webinar + Q&A] Events 0
Imperialpest Page Speed and Local / Ranking Question Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
djbaxter Online Conference Pubcon Local Services Marketing Conference, January 20-21, 2021 Events 3