Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
twitter.png

Myles from BrightLocal just shared some of the poll results from our most recent webinar:

<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/insidelocal-webinars/25677-troubleshooting-google-local-ranking-issues-insidelocal-webinar.html">Troubleshooting Google Local Ranking Issues - InsideLocal Webinar</a>

Here are the poll results (which I also posted above) along with his analysis of what those results show and say about various types of ranking issues.

<a href="http://searchengineland.com/citation-inconsistency-no1-issue-affecting-local-ranking-210643">Citation Inconsistency Is No.1 Issue Affecting Local Ranking</a>

We gave attendees 5 options to choose from and asked them to pick the 2 most common issues that they find across all the clients they work with or businesses they audit. Given that each local search consultant handles 9 clients on average, we can assume that these experiences are drawn from in excess of 3,000 businesses.

Key Findings:

.:. Inconsistent citation and NAP (Name, Address, Phone) data is by far the most common issue at 41%.

.:. Duplicate Google Places/+Local listings is the 2nd most common issue at 27%.

.:. Google Places Guideline Violations is the least common issue, with just 4% of respondents counting this among their most common issues.

Myles also said: "I was surprised to see that ?Google Places Guideline Violations? was so low. Given the frequent changes and even reversal of advice in the guidelines, I believe that many businesses are in violation of the guidelines in some way or other. I suspect that many respondents are unclear on what constitutes a guideline violation, hence the low score in this survey."

I know based on the number of consultants I train and do consulting for, that the last part is true. Many do not know what some of the violations are.

But the question was "What are the 2 most common ranking issues that you come across".

I think the biggest reason that number was low is twofold. A) Google does not punish most violations with ranking penalties. Does not punish them at all in most cases. B) There are sometimes ranking penalties for certain specific violations, but they are violations of unwritten rules most consultants/SMBs are not even aware of.

Therefore when ranking drops they don't even correlate it with a ranking penalty, because they don't even know what they did wrong or that it could trip a filter.

What do you think about any of those survey results???

twitter.png

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Matt Chauhan Serious Problem With A Dentist's Local Rankings. NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
Lachlan_Wells Problems with Local Falcon detecting rankings Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J Local Ranking Problems. Help & Support for Google Local 7
Linda Buquet RIP Places Search - Causing Google Local Rank Tracking Problems - New Google Update Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Linda Buquet Troubleshooting Google Local Ranking Problems - Excellent Guide by Miriam Ellis! Local Search 7
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 12
Stef Kiley Temp closed business ranking higher in local pack Help & Support for Google Local 2
Imperialpest Page Speed and Local / Ranking Question Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
Y Whenever I publish update for my local business, my local rankings drop for 3-4 days Local Search 1
B Ranking High Organically but Low in The Local Pack Local Search 4
STM Using Web 2.0 properties to boost local rankings in 2020? Local SEO Tools & Software 1
B Link building anchor text for local rankings 2020 Organic SEO 1
lincolnchan Large Ranking Disparity Between Locales All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 11
C Ranking tool for the local pack Organic SEO 5
V Local Services Ad: Does using a different phone number in local services ad effect the organic ranking for my site Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
georgebizpro Client's local rankings tanked in early/mid September, why? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
TomGuard Local Ranking Better in Proximity to Verification Address Service Area Businesses 5
StephanieNewton Local RankFlux reporting major spike in flux to local rankings🚨 Local Search 27
Ellen Ranking in GMB and Local Pack - Not Traditional Organic Results Ranking Puzzles 4
Jens Rank Tracking Software for local results Local SEO Tools & Software 12
MarianoF Trending [November 5, 2019 Local Algorithm Update] Unexplained big drops in GMB rankings Google Algorithm Discussions 216
P Schema Markup - SameAS & HasMap - Does marking these up help with local ranking factors Local Search 0
Oliver Keates GMB Local Keyword Ranking Tool Google My Business & Google Maps 5
R Free Webinar: Local SEO Guide Google Ranking Factors for 2019 Events 0
AndySimpson 🆕 2018 Local Search Ranking Factors Local Search 15
Tilak Website Good in Local Pack Ranking without Traffic Local Search 8
NinjaNonsense Ranking For Other Local Terms Local Search 5
J Organic Rankings Recovering From Medic; Local Still Not Improving Google Algorithm Discussions 7
whiz Is local ranking just on-page, location, citations and reviews? Local Search 4
whiz Consultants: Competitive Analysis for Local Ranking - What are top factors you check? Consultant's Corner 19
T Proximity in Local Search Rankings Local Search 8
Dillon Brickhouse How Proximity (and ZIP codes) Impact Local Rankings Google My Business & Google Maps 2
BaggySEO Local ranking software Local Search 5
CharlotteSEOExpert On-Page Local SEO Strategy for Quicker Rankings Local Search 0
Linda Buquet Emulate Location to Street Level to Check Google Local Rankings - Chrome Extension Local SEO Tools & Software 2
Linda Buquet NEW! Local SEO Ranking Factors Study 2017, Have you studied it? By @localseoguide Local Search 1
D Site not ranked in local results unless you zoom in Local Search 1
L Analysing a google local ranking drop and how to fix it ? Local Search 2
J Some Local SEO tips for ranking in London? Local Search 0
vivekrpatel What Local Experts Think About Higher Rankings and Local Link Outreach Local Search 0
KevinWag Local Spoofing for Rank Tracking Local Search 9
Linda Buquet 2017 Local Search Ranking Factors Survey is Up at @moz via @DarrenShaw_ Google My Business & Google Maps 7
mqs1000 Ranking a new business in the local results Local Search 7
Gsmithmike Best Tool To Check Keyword Ranking Locally? Local Search 4
C I'm ranking in local pack in different city other than current location Local Search 5
F Google Local Search Ranking Issue- Penalty? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Y Does Duplicate Content Hurt Local Rankings? Local Content 8
Yan Gilbert Does Duplicate Content Hurt Local Rankings? Local Content 8
Marie Haynes Have you seen any local rankings that you feel were affected by Penguin 4.0? Local Search 8
L Does a local number help you rank locally - if so how local does it have to be ? Local Search 2