More threads by Dawood

Dawood

Reaction score
Hello Folks, I hope you're all doing well.
I apologize in advance if my question might be too general topic as I am generally trying to do an audit of all the strategies am currently implementing and find places to improve.

Currently, the site that I manage ranks 3rd, which is pretty good i think. However, we have two main competitors than am trying to get "ahead" of.

• Competitors have been around longer (ie domain age.)
• Pretty good relevant content
• Paid ads for this industry is not possible.

From a code perspective, my site is very well coded, proper semantic markup, fast load times and so on. I have steadily been adding content, and now am at a pace of adding 20 blog posts a week, and as well have created 4 social media accounts that I send content to etc.

The site is fairly newly coded, say 6months, I did do redirects so as not to lose equity.
I had also done an audit of competitors in terms of content to see what "they have" vs "us" etc and have addressed that as well, though there might be some opportunities to add more.

None of them blog, so I think that's a place to "gain" but in general am wondering if it's just a matter of time and adding content (assuming it's well written.)
I don't really see them "adding" more pages or content but they still beating us, for the moment :)

Would really appreciate any insights, thoughts.
In short, my question is, how do you beat out a competitor that has a longer domain age, been around longer and has good content... (there might not even be an answer to this.)

Strategies I'd focus on is reviews & links. If you're looking to get ranked for more long-tail keywords, content is helpful but if you are trying to move up for keywords you're already ranking for, getting a few quality links can do the trick.

hey @JoyHawkins, thanks for the input. Do you do any private consulting?
I can get reviews, not sure how to get backlinks, it's a weird industry so trying to figure out what the "authority" sites would be, am linking to a lot of sites like wikepedia and reddit etc on the blogs, so have a lot of outbound and quite a few inbound links but nothing substantial in terms of backlinks.

hey @JoyHawkins, thanks for the input. Do you do any private consulting?
I can get reviews, not sure how to get backlinks, it's a weird industry so trying to figure out what the "authority" sites would be, am linking to a lot of sites like wikepedia and reddit etc on the blogs, so have a lot of outbound and quite a few inbound links but nothing substantial in terms of backlinks.

We definitely do. Please DM me your email and the website you work on and I'd be more than happy to send you our rates.

People get really confused about digital "competitors" when it comes to SEO.

I'd definitely take Joy up on their consulting services, but the simple way I like to look at search competition is;

If you have done comprehensive keyword research and know the topics/keywords that are fundamentally important to your digital success, then whomever has the highest saturation for those keywords is your competition. Doesn't matter if it's wikipedia, google instant answers, or someone else that you would normally not deem your 'competition'.

If they are ranking where you want to rank, you are competing with them for that spot.

@pony makes sense, just got two competitors that are above, so trying to come up with ways to overtake. Been working dilligently on new content and social media etc.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom