Reaction score
News broke last week that Microsoft is planning to deploy an automatically installed Bing extension to all Chrome browsers running on machines with their enterprise-level Office 365 ProPlus products. This extension will forcibly redirect searches from Chrome browsers to Bing instead of Google. It's expected to launch by the middle of next month. This could mean a major change in paid search traffic, especially for B2B companies. While it's possible that Google might take steps to block the change, maybe by blacklisting the extension, this seems like a topic we should all be watching very closely.

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
There's already a growing outcry about this from Office 365 users. I expect Microsoft will back down. If not, they should expect to see Office 365 subscribers to drop sharply.

Reaction score
I don't think that subscribers will drop off since Microsoft Office is such a fundamental part of many workplaces. Disentangling an enterprise-level business from Office would take an incredible effort and would likely grind many workplaces to a halt. Just looking at my own company, the level of dependence on the products is staggering.

If they do go forward with this, I wonder what shifts we might see in paid search numbers on Google versus Bing? Our Bing numbers have always been lower, obviously. We're preparing for the possibility by making sure that all of our ads have correct C2C numbers attributed to them and that our local listings on their map service are up to date. At the very least this is a nice opportunity to audit things on that end, since Google usually eats up the lion's share of my time.

Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
If it's only Chrome being affected, then either people will switch to Firefox or it seems like you can manually switch the default browser search engine selection.

I can also see most people searching "Google.com" in Bing lol. There's a lot of people working in various enterprises that aren't tech savvy enough to switch the browser, so they might use Bing... just not the way Bing might want them to.

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It was Chrome and Edge-Chrome but Microsoft has already backtracked on this as of today.

Reaction score
Good to see they managed to get a bit of common sense before doing something silly! (Still, bets aren't entirely off that they'll attempt this again after the hubbub dies down)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter Microsoft Bing: 15% Of Searches Are Misspelled So Speller100 To The Rescue Organic SEO 1
shively Microsoft Clarity (Local SEO heatmap tool) Local Search 2
djbaxter Microsoft Defender ATP gets top scoring in industry tests Websites, Software, and Security 0
djbaxter How To Use the new noindex and force redirect custom addon for threads Admin Stuff 0
djbaxter Testing new noindex and force redirect custom addon by TickTackk Admin Stuff 0
djbaxter WordPress: The NoneNone Brute Force Attacks: Currently Active Websites, Software, and Security 0
djbaxter NEW Forcing a link to NOFOLLOW How To Guides 0
djbaxter Custom BBCode to force nofollow links Local Search Experts Forum 0
Diogo Ordacowski GMB Messages - Now Forcing Setup Through Google Play or App Store Install on mobile phone? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Dan Foland Has anyone else been experiencing a rise in Brute Force attacks on WordPress recently? Websites, Software, and Security 4
djbaxter CEO sentenced to prison for attempt to force Google to remove defamatory reviews Local Reviews 4
djbaxter Marked jump in brute force attacks against WordPress sites Organic SEO 0
Lloyd Silver Messy Situation: NAP inconsistencies and a suboptimal forced official website Help & Support for Google Local 2
JoyHawkins How to Force Google to Change the Radius on the Map Google My Business & Google Maps 3
HurricaneK8 More Toronto condo spam! Help fight the forces of evil! Spam on Google 4
V Updated address, never showed, called to fix. forced to google+ Disapeared Google My Business & Google Maps 7
djbaxter Brute Force Attacks Build WordPress Botnet Websites, Software, and Security 2
J Being forced to hide the address of a retail location Service Area Businesses 2
johncrenshaw Being forced to hide the address of a retail location Service Area Businesses 2
KungFuBacklinks Google Plus Business Page - Being FORCED to Verify?? Google My Business & Google Maps 15
Mike Wilton Google+ Local Now Forcing G+ Business Merges? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
S Demand Force and other similar companies Local Reviews 14
Travis Van Slooten Google Maps Cash System Forces Your Site Onto Google's First Page! Local Search 12
sixthcitysarah Advice for Dental Office Buying Closed Practice? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Jason_Parks1 How Should I Structure Suite Numbers with a New Office? Moving or Name Changes 1
MatGee Multiple Practitioners at Medical Office, Is It Possible To Share Reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
IanJohnson Office destroyed in hurricane, what should we do about the GMB listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Jeffrey Google Showing Doctor Listing instead of Office Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 15
J Gmb help please: 2 offices merged into 1 office Google My Business & Google Maps 3
ForwardMotion Multiple Practitioners at One Office Location Questions Google My Business & Google Maps 2
ladykal Is this bad practice? Multiple location landing pages but 1 office location Organic SEO 5
T Separate GMB listings for head office/factory and factory/showroom Multi-Location Issues 3
B What happens if you stop renting your office space? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Mmclean07 How to handle 2 offices at same address? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
LocalSEODat Thinking of Saving Costs by Not Leasing 2 Local Offices in Vancouver & Toronto for Shared Office Space Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Conor Treacy Best Method of Reporting Virtual Offices in Maps Service Area Businesses 4
J Home Office Google My Business & Google Maps 6
G DUP All Regus Offices Prohibited on Google+ Local? New Policy? Recycle Bin 0
E.Dieter Martin 1 service area business, 1 "office", 2 phones, 2 GMB listings. Merge without losing reviews? Service Area Businesses 1
J Practitioner no longer employed at client’s dental office Moving or Name Changes 1
micromano The Pros and Cons of Multiple Law Offices Recycle Bin 5
dave101 Need Opinion on Office Locations Service Area Businesses 7
JaredCaraway Category for administrative offices for a business? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
Rich Owings SAB with hidden address moving their office - How to handle in GMB? Service Area Businesses 5
S Office hours differ from service hours Service Area Businesses 1
M How to Prove My Virtual Office Meets GMB Guidelines Recycle Bin 0
KristiSimone Multi-practitioner office GMB names for practitioners Google My Business & Google Maps 5
E Shared Medical Office Suite Google My Business & Google Maps 10
J Business moving offices after suspension Moving or Name Changes 9
R How to Prove My Virtual Office Meets GMB Guidelines Google My Business & Google Maps 10