More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Have just a little Google Local update and a couple observations to point out.

Google: Austin Plumber

AustinPlumberHUGEPins.jpg

1) So the minor update is the map pins on the right are HUGE! I looked around to try to find anything else that was different but didn't see anything. Have you noticed any other changes?

2) I have not personally seen red review stars show in local for awhile. Might be worth looking to see if Roter-Rooter is doing anything trick with their schema? (I don't have time to look and try to analyze it.)

3) For those that still wonder if you can rank with hidden address, there is proof once more that you can. Radiant with address hidden is ranking above Rotor-Rooter a big brand, with lots of authority that usually ranks high AND has address showing. Every other plumber is showing address too, yet Radiant is on top.

And if anyone wonders about the ranking order and is curious to know why Radiant ranks #1...
See my post from Tuesday, then check AOL search for "Austin Plumber" and it will all become clear. :)

How the Google Local Algo Really Works - What Rules the Ranking Order

AustinPlumberHUGEPins.jpg

2) I have not personally seen red review stars show in local for awhile. Might be worth looking to see if Roter-Rooter is doing anything trick with their schema? (I don't have time to look and try to analyze it.)

Yes, looks like they have marked their reviews up with schema Google Structured Data Testing Tool

Linda, you said "red review stars". Did you mean yellow, or am I missing something? :eek:

Thanks

Linda, you said "red review stars". Did you mean yellow, or am I missing something? :eek:

Hey Colan, look above. Red. Or looking closer maybe a little orange. Just like the review stars on the G+ L pages now.

Hey Colan, look above. Red. Or looking closer maybe a little orange. Just like the review stars on the G+ L pages now.

Orange it is :) I think my brain is just used to it being yellow.

Colin is right - they have used Rich Snippets to get the stars to show up. If I am correct I heard that Google had "highly discouraged" websites from using Rich Snippets to get stars to show up in the search engine results.

Though I have to say, if Google did not want it to show up then they wouldn't show it. I guess the takeaway from this is that if you have a client that has (legitimate) four and five star reviews on their website we can "legitimately" get them to show up in the results.

Just think - stars without having to get everyone to review through Google. :)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom