More threads by Colan Nielsen

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
We are checking some listings this morning and noticed that Google has removed the data that would show up below the reviews in the KP that identified the physical city that a business is located in.

Here's what it looks like for non-SAB's currently and what it used to look like for SAB's as well:

kp address.jpg

Here's what an SAB listing looks like this morning. Notice the ""GMB Category" in City Name" line is missing as well as the "Address:" field.
kp missing 2.jpg

Anyone else seeing this?

Thoughts on implications?

So far it doesn't seem to be impacting ranking.

I think this is intentional as it fits right in with all the recent updates Google is making for SABs. I'll also add that Colan noticed the trick we used to use to see the address the listing was using stopped working so it's like they've completely dissociated the address with the listing now. No updates to ranking that I've seen though.

The address trick has failed me for a couple of weeks now. The marker is there, and you can gather info from that, but the actual street address is gone. Sad, as I found that trick very helpful!

Also it appears that a user was signed in for the example? Would google drop details for frequent visitors? Maybe best to use incognito as a control here? Have a nice week

I think this is intentional as it fits right in with all the recent updates Google is making for SABs. I'll also add that Colan noticed the trick we used to use to see the address the listing was using stopped working so it's like they've completely dissociated the address with the listing now. No updates to ranking that I've seen though.

Any thoughts on why the service/business category might be missing? Hiding the street address seems inline with using actual service areas for SABs but hiding their business category really doesn't. We have seen the category go missing in at least a couple of instances.

You can still see the business category if you click through to Maps.

@JoyHawkins thank you for the response! I guess that still feels counterproductive to me. If I am a SAB, am I super interested in showing up in Maps? I mean, I guess I am not against it, in general. But if a searcher somehow triggers my knowledge panel, I think I would want my primary business category to show. Right?
thanks, again!

A friend pointed out that you can still see the city if you are looking at the Local Finder list. I hadn't noticed that.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom