More threads by valesence

Reaction score
I researched yext a lot before I purchased. I saw so many mixed reviews on problems it could solve and issues it could create. I went ahead and purchased, taking a risk of the problems.

The biggest issue that people had was duplicate listings and just additional citations being created confusing google. This did happen and I was prepared for it. What I did was go through every listing created or added and verify that I did not have another listing with the wrong information.

When I found them, and there was a bunch I would email support for yext. In every case yext was able to suppress the duplicate listing with the incorrect information.

Yext has done a good job of creating an environment of needing to use them. Several directories do not allow claiming or updating listings anymore and the only way to access them is through yext. I feel like I was held hostage to change these listings but that is the price you pay to do the google dance.

To summarize, yext, although expensive, will work to fix citations but it is not a set it and forget it service. If you use yext, check every listing they have and do searches to confirm there are not duplicates. If there are duplicate listings then email yext support and ask them to suppress the duplicate.

That?s good to hear, valesence. Yext certainly does work out in some cases, like yours. Many of my clients use it.

The issues arise when some business owners think it?s a ?set it and forget it? solution. That?s the perception most people have - whether due to their lack of knowledge about local SEO, or Yext?s aggressive marketing, or both. Many don?t have the wherewithal you did - to nag Yext about the duplicates.

The larger issues are:

1. Many important sites are out of Yext?s network - particularly industry-specific sites.

2. If you ever choose to stop using Yext, not all of your listings will necessarily remain correct. Some will, some won?t. You?ll have to reclaim those.

I think Yext is a good tool if you?ve got a new business and just want to put some citations on the board, or if you?re relocating and want to fix some or your citations ASAP (with the understanding you?ll have to work on them more later). But if you?ve been hanging your online shingle for a while and have lots of messy citations, it can be a real trade-off.

I researched yext a lot before I purchased. I saw so many mixed reviews on problems it could solve and issues it could create. I went ahead and purchased, taking a risk of the problems.

The biggest issue that people had was duplicate listings and just additional citations being created confusing google. This did happen and I was prepared for it. What I did was go through every listing created or added and verify that I did not have another listing with the wrong information.

When I found them, and there was a bunch I would email support for yext. In every case yext was able to suppress the duplicate listing with the incorrect information.

Yext has done a good job of creating an environment of needing to use them. Several directories do not allow claiming or updating listings anymore and the only way to access them is through yext. I feel like I was held hostage to change these listings but that is the price you pay to do the google dance.

To summarize, yext, although expensive, will work to fix citations but it is not a set it and forget it service. If you use yext, check every listing they have and do searches to confirm there are not duplicates. If there are duplicate listings then email yext support and ask them to suppress the duplicate.

My problem #1 with Yext has been duplicates. Their service is GREAT for it's speed of execution, but I'd still monitor my citations using a third-party tool like Synup, Whitespark or BrightLocal to keep an eye on dupes and whether your listings are being dropped at any point of time.

I'm working on a study of 50-ish Yext customers that I'll publish soon and you'll find the data pretty interesting.

@ valesence

Another thing to keep an eye on is Yext adding new listings. They will claim and not give you the option. Double check what they claim. Also make sure that you take care of Axciom, Infogroup / Express Update, Factual etc... as they are the most important.

@ valesence

Another thing to keep an eye on is Yext adding new listings. They will claim and not give you the option. Double check what they claim. Also make sure that you take care of Axciom, Infogroup / Express Update, Factual etc... as they are the most important.

I agree that all citation work should start with the data aggregator. The problem is the amount of time it takes for the aggregator to update many sites. Also yext is the only service available to fix many sites that google does give lots of weight.

And as a side note, I use both whitespark and brightlocal to monitor citations. Both services are excellent and have strengths in different areas.

And as a side note, I use both whitespark and brightlocal to monitor citations. Both services are excellent and have strengths in different areas.

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on what you feel are the strengths of each? Thanks in advance.

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on what you feel are the strengths of each? Thanks in advance.

I would rather not, My experiences may differ from someone else. If you are considering one or the other I would recommend getting both. It is only 20 bucks a month and less for whitespark because it is converted from Canadian to american dollars. Brightlocal has a 30 day trial period also.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom