More threads by Matt Chauhan

Matt Chauhan

Reaction score
We have a client who deals in Mold Removal, Asbestos Testing, Air Quality, and other related services. They are located in Wall Township, NJ and they serve the whole state of New Jersey. We have set Home Inspector as their primary category in GMB. We now want to re-consider their primary category.

When we performed our analysis, we found out the following:

- They are ranking well in local packs for their money keywords like Mold Removal, Mold Testing, etc. in Wall Township, NJ.
- None of their competitors (when checked for money keywords) are using Home Inspector as their primary category.
- They are not ranking well for their money keywords when we check their rankings beyond Wall Township like Monmouth County and New Jersey, either in local packs or organically. - They are getting a good number of leads and conversions.

Based on all of the above facts, we need some solid advice if we should change the primary category in their GMB from Home Inspector and set it to Environmental Consultant. I am happy to provide any other data here to get advice. We just want to make sure that whatever we are going to do, we do it right.

Can I ask what the goal is? In other words, by making this change, we hope to accomplish x?

At the end of the day, you'll just have to test it. Make the change to the category. Determine if the impact was positve or negative. And based on the impact, carry on or revert.

Hi Colan,

We are not sure if we should change the category or not. That is why I provided some stats in my original message to get some advice.

My instinct is to say do not change it since you're already ranking for your money keywords. Changing the category will not likely expand your rankings outside of their city. As that sounds like the challenge that you are trying to overcome.

Thanks, Colan. It would be interesting to know what others have to say about it. I will definitely go with the recommendations of the experts.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom