More threads by dotgal

dotgal

Reaction score
I have a service area client (parent company A) that acquired another company (company B) that's also service area based. Parent company A focuses more on B2C while company B is more B2B, but there are some overlaps in the services they provide. Both parent company A and company B have existing GMB listings base on the location of the offices. To widen the exposure on Google Maps, would it be okay with Google for parent company A to create a new GMB listing with company B's address location and vice versa? Since the companies are belonging to the same ownership, but the "names" are different, would that be okay? I'm wondering if I'd run into any listing verification issues.

@dotgal, based on what you describe, no, that would be in-line with Google's specs. If the only differences between the entities are the names and services provided, Google would want you to have (at most) 2 GMB pages. (Your current setup sounds fine. I'd probably keep it the way you have it.)

Now, if they're legally separate entities and if you differentiate them more (like in terms of phone numbers, categories, and websites), then you're in much less of a gray area, and theoretical and practical problems will be fewer and farther in-between.

There'd still be the issue of verification, though. Two SABs with the same address and overlapping service areas can be tough to verify (as in one might not receive the postcard, or one may get suspended instantly).

@dotgal, based on what you describe, no, that would be in-line with Google's specs. If the only differences between the entities are the names and services provided, Google would want you to have (at most) 2 GMB pages. (Your current setup sounds fine. I'd probably keep it the way you have it.)

Now, if they're legally separate entities and if you differentiate them more (like in terms of phone numbers, categories, and websites), then you're in much less of a gray area, and theoretical and practical problems will be fewer and farther in-between.

There'd still be the issue of verification, though. Two SABs with the same address and overlapping service areas can be tough to verify (as in one might not receive the postcard, or one may get suspended instantly).
@Phil Rozek Thanks for the insight. The addresses for each location would be the same, but the phone numbers are different. Do you think there would still be a risk for suspension of one GMB listing? Would Google only want to have 1 "business" per location?

@dotgal, it's good to differentiate the phone numbers, but that alone wouldn't prevent all the issues you might run into. (For instance, there's also a possible snafu if the categories are the same or similar.)

I'd definitely stick with 1 "business" per location.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom