More threads by Vicky Trainor

Vicky Trainor

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've found a national competitor of one of my local clients who has multiple GMB listings for multiple capital cities at various locations (both are SAB's). The GMB name generally includes the suburb/region serviced by a franchisee, but each listing links to the website home page and lists the same phone number.

All locations are listed on the website under "top level" mainly city landing pages eg Melbourne (15 locations), Sydney, etc. with links to individual location pages of mainly a suburb or broader area within that city. However these second level location pages are no-index, no follow.

It just seems weird to me that the local GMB's don't link to the relevant suburb/locality page....or even the city "landing page". Is it ok? And the fact that they all share the same phone number, even if interstate? Can someone please explain if this is ok?

2nd question - can I just list the GMB listings of the suburbs affecting my client (on the redressal form) & trust that Google will apply the same across the entire entity? (Regardless of the answer to above question, all of these listings are not compliant with regards business name (including the niche's main keyword phrase) & this is the case nationwide. I actually feel a bit guilty for the franchisees hence treading carefully...)

3rd question - whilst it says on the redressal form to copy/paste the gmb url, am I right to assume that the cid url is the same thing? (which appears under the Business name in this format: Google Maps). Pretty sure that wasn't there last time I submitted a redressal.

Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom!

It just seems weird to me that the local GMB's don't link to the relevant suburb/locality page....or even the city "landing page". Is it ok? And the fact that they all share the same phone number, even if interstate? Can someone please explain if this is ok?

There is no rule that dictates which page the GMB profile links to. So no issue there as far as Google is concerned. For the phone number, Google prefers a unique number, but it's not considered spam.

2nd question - can I just list the GMB listings of the suburbs affecting my client (on the redressal form) & trust that Google will apply the same across the entire entity? (Regardless of the answer to above question, all of these listings are not compliant with regards business name (including the niche's main keyword phrase) & this is the case nationwide. I actually feel a bit guilty for the franchisees hence treading carefully...)

Never count on Google to connect the dots. Give tons of detail and assume they know nothing.

3rd question - whilst it says on the redressal form to copy/paste the gmb url, am I right to assume that the cid url is the same thing? (which appears under the Business name in this format: Google Maps). Pretty sure that wasn't there last time I submitted a redressal.

Yes, that is fine to use.

There is no rule that dictates which page the GMB profile links to. So no issue there as far as Google is concerned. For the phone number, Google prefers a unique number, but it's not considered spam.

Never count on Google to connect the dots. Give tons of detail and assume they know nothing.

Yes, that is fine to use.
Thank you Colan! Good advice. Much appreciated.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU - Local SEO Penalties for Links

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom