Reaction score
Had a quick question for the pros. I'm doing a little competitive research, and came across this listing:
https://plus.google.com/+Evrimgallery-Wedding-Portrait-Photographer/about

Notice it doesn't have an address listed. But it's clearly not a service area business, since when you click the map it doesn't show a radius or anything, plus it has a mapmaker listing (which wouldn't be there if it was service area, since it's verified?) When you see the map of the business' location from the GMB profile, it doesn't show anything at all in fact... but the map is centered on the address listed in map maker.

I thought there was only an option to hide your address if you were a service area business? Is there something I'm missing?

Scott Rawlins

Solutions
Reaction score
He has correctly marked his business as a SAB on his G listing. It does look like a residential address, so he's correct with his G map. On the site, they are using the generic street address map and not the map that is connected to the G map. I also don't see this company in MM. You have a link for that?

Reaction score
Hi Scott,

Yeah, the link is here:
Google Map Maker

Usually when you pull up the map maker listing from the CID, it should say no results found. I noticed in the map from the google plus profile, that there's no service radius/marker or anything, isn't that also something you'd expect to see with a service area business? I think you're probably right, I just haven't seen it look quite like this before, especially with the live verified map maker listing.

theitsage

Reaction score
I believe this is a tactic some use to rank higher in the Local Pack. From his website, I tried "wedding photographer portland" and his listing is 2nd. The 3rd result is another listing without address. If you look further, "Powers Photography Studios" is very close to the center of Portland and has much more impressive reviews - yet it was 4th, just outside the Local Pack.

There's a competitor in my area who does the same thing and his listing appears in the local pack a lot more often than it did (when the address wasn't hidden).

Reaction score
So is there an option I'm missing, to hide the address of a non-service-area business? I haven't heard of that before, and I'd love to know more about it. I saw a post a few days ago on the GMB forum where someone was hoping for that very thing, and Helmut said it wasn't an option.

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
I'll ask Google about this one because it does seem weird. The address is definitely hidden because there is no option to get driving directions on Google search or Google Maps. There shouldn't be a MapMaker record for it.

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
I sent this up the chain. Flash (from MapMaker) told me it's a known bug that happens every so often. His theory (and mine) also is that the business could have just recently hidden their address and some parts updated faster than others.

Reaction score
Thank you for the update Joy... I'm doing my best to pay attention and get better at this stuff, but there's a lot of strange ins and outs. I really appreciate you (and everyone else here on this forum) sharing the knowledge. Getting more involved is already paying off in conversations and work with clients, can't wait to see where things are at a year from now.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
JaredCaraway Can Setting a Service Area for Non-SAB Hurt Performance? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
D National Chain - Wants to rank for local services (mostly non-Venice) Local Search 0
Steve Attarian Has anyone had luck removing a Review by a non customer that gave one star because she noticed that the staff didn't wear masks when she walked by? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Lachlan_Wells Local Falcon - Strange Results for Non-English Queries Local Search 5
A Image name for a non maps category Google My Business & Google Maps 0
C Non-personalized results from mobile searches on your phone Help & Support for Google Local 6
hajnasiewicz Non Technical info re: Mobile First Indexing Marketing 2
MonicaH SAB moving from primary target location to non-target location - best way to handle GMB? Moving or Name Changes 4
hajnasiewicz Linking to a non https website Marketing 2
J Adding Extra (non Holiday) Hours such as Drive Thru Multi-Location Issues 2
L How to Remove Non-GMB Location from Google Search? Local Search 2
H Can a NON-brick and mortar use Google Reviews? And how? Local Reviews 8
SmartDataMap GMB removing website from listing for non SSL? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
djbaxter Google Chrome 70 will blare "Non-Secure Site" in red Websites, Software, and Security 0
djbaxter Google S-Day: Chrome browser v68 released, warns about non-HTTPS sites Organic SEO 4
H Client went to https, but also went to non-www. from www.domainname.com Local Search 3
Tim Colling Non-SAB in Local pack with NO driving directions Local Search 3
Garrett Sussman 5 Local Marketing Strategies for Non-Local Businesses Local Reviews 0
Digitaldar Competitors GMB Shows Up For Non Branded Searches Local Search 4
C Can Non-Disclosure Of Financial Relationship Violate Google Guidelines? Organic SEO 4
Digitaldar How to trigger (GMB?) box on right side of Google SERP for non branded search? Local Search 3
Eric Rohrback Latest WBF - Local Links for Non Local Businesses Local Search 0
JoyHawkins Ranking Factors for Branded 3-Packs are Different than Non-Branded Packs Google My Business & Google Maps 6
JustinB Moz Content Tool and Building Non-Niche Links Local Search 1
M non English post Recycle Bin 0
R Removing non verifed listings Google My Business & Google Maps 6
L Local Non-Verified Dupe Ranking #1 Google Duplicates & Merges 1
Louis Nava Local Non-Verified Dupe Ranking #1 Google Duplicates & Merges 1
nerboda Drastic difference between rankings for location specific query vs non location spec. Local Search 6
bczubiak Non-English Website Optimization Local Search 3
Linda Buquet Web & Graphic Design Resources for the Non-Creative Local SEO Mind Marketing 0
Linda Buquet BUSTED! Warning for Attorneys with Regus or Non-compliant Offices Google My Business & Google Maps 10
E Menu Link for Non-Restaurant Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Lloyd Silver Embedding Google Map on non-https page Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Ranking For Non-Brand Local Search Terms Help & Support for Google Local 1
sergiuliano Keyword Non-Provided Analysis Organic SEO 3
Daniel C Berman Say Goodbye To Non-branded Keyword Traffic If You?re In The Local Carousel Google My Business & Google Maps 3
WineCountryCarpetCleaning Non-conventional citations Local Search 3
BekahBerry Multiple service providers with separate books of business, sharing one office, under one company name - What is the best approach to avoid filtering? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 7
koji Local business with online nationwide services in a post-corona world Google Local 101 4
vtrjavier Good someone to provide me with types of services (ideas ) that could work in a city or country? Local Search 0
D A client has 3 verified GMB's across 2 states,with service pages for each location. Should service pages have only their respective locations address? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
NexstarNickR Book Online option for Home Services All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
hajnasiewicz GMB repeatedly changing Health & Safety and Service Options Local Content 6
FriarTuck00 "Hours or Services May Differ" Google My Business & Google Maps 1
B Rebranding: same services, same team, same address, new name, new URL Moving or Name Changes 9
D Can you set an end-date for Local Services Ads? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Matt Chauhan Opinion on entering service areas within the GMB dashboard for Brick and Mortar Businesses NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Barb Davids Ad fraud with Local Service Ads? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 6