More threads by MarianoF

They are just looking for the best painter, plumber, pest control technician, etc. Proximity should be dialed down for SABs and the results should be more based on relevance and prominence.

That would be good news, if Google were any good at assessing those attributes and if they were any good at filtering out review spam and similar tactics.

Still, anything that DOES diminish Google's reliance upon proximity for ranking is a good thing, I suppose.

Still, anything that DOES diminish Google's reliance upon proximity for ranking is a good thing, I suppose.
If that happens, would that mean that the big franchise SAB's that pay the most for SEO will be able to take over in all areas and push out the small companies that don't have nearly the money to spend on SEO and currently get calls based mostly on proximity?

I guess it’s either we wait it out for a week or so and then start considering what changes to make.

It just doesn’t sound like we are going to be able to target bigger markets.

Recovery finally happening. Look at this change in ranking from running yesterday to today. 40+ spot difference, looks like this update is "repairing" itself now.

change.jpg

Anecdotally from what I've seen in the attorney/lawyer space, the GMB listing name has played a role. Had one listing drop out of the local pack for some search terms with "lawyer" in it when the company name has "attorney", yet with "attorney" searches the listing has stayed in local packs. In the local packs I looked at for various "lawyer" phrases, most listed had "lawyer" in the GMB name now after the update. Also, did a local search for "jones act attorney" and google showed two GMB attorney profiles that had Jones as their last name (nothing to do with the actual Jones Act)...clearly GMB name match to keyword having some role. And have even seen some SAB law listings now show in the local pack with none or very few reviews take the place of legit brick and mortars with many reviews.

Anecdotally from what I've seen in the attorney/lawyer space, the GMB listing name has played a role. Had one listing drop out of the local pack for some search terms with "lawyer" in it when the company name has "attorney", yet with "attorney" searches the listing has stayed in local packs. In the local packs I looked at for various "lawyer" phrases, most listed had "lawyer" in the GMB name now after the update. Also, did a local search for "jones act attorney" and google showed two GMB attorney profiles that had Jones as their last name (nothing to do with the actual Jones Act)...clearly GMB name match to keyword having some role. And have even seen some SAB law listings now show in the local pack with none or very few reviews take the place of legit brick and mortars with many reviews.

We've also seen fluctuations in the Legal space with clients who ranked for years now out and replaced with firms with no reviews or any GMB best practices.

We're on the way down again after a slight recovery (In music lesson space too). There is only one thing that is clear and that's that the business with the dodgiest GMB profile and the highest Moz spam rating I have ever seen is powering ahead at all time highs and expanding his geographical reach in the process.

Mind boggling.

Bedlam's not over yet. We saw a different client (auto repair space) tank again on the 13th (for the second time) and recover yet again today.

1573820338958.png

There is only one thing that is clear and that's that the business with the dodgiest GMB profile and the highest Moz spam rating I have ever seen is powering ahead

Yup. Say it ain't so, Google!

A client of mine in the Real Estate niche that was experiencing a major drop has now risen back up and claimed top positions in places they were not in the map pack for before. The map results in this particular case are showing close to pre-November rankings (and on a number of keywords, this client is now ranking better). I also noticed a lot of SPAM not showing up in the results (which were ranked last week).

It does appear that Google is penalizing Exact Match Name GMB listings. I am hearing that other people are ranking for one term or the other. The Google Maps shake-up is not done yet and I am still seeing and monitoring a lot of changes for multiple locations.

First, I apologize for my poor English. I'm learning.

I changed my phone information at GMB on November 5th
I didn't get any phone calls the next day. And I'm starting to think it's because I changed the phone number information.
Although not before November 5, about 1 month ago, I searched with keyword from any point in my District and ı was in 3 pack 1st place. But after ı change my phone number info it only seemed in 3-pack, up to 1km beyond my position.
After 1km away from my location when ı search the keyword it wasnt be the first page of local search area.

After ı edit my service areas (ı added sub locations) and some new photos, and some posts, now it's better than before.
But If I search from 2km away, I'm in third place
So if ı search from 2,5km or more away I'm not listing. Maybe listing on second page. Or last of first page.

Now I have 12 five star reviews from normal accounts and 2 5. leve local guides. And ı added maybe 15 photos about my shop. Nothing changed for now. Sometimes ı saw a raising on local listing and sometimes its turning down to 7. 8. place.

Here is the weird thing; My GMB is verified and fully optimized. I'm Talking about my website, in website contact and about us page all the informations are same at my GMB account. but 2 and more place 500mt near me, is on me all the listings. And they are not verified places and they just have a phone number. Also When ı searched this keyword from 2,5km or far from my location, almost all listing places are not verified or just have phone number.

Additional informations:
-Before ı changed my phone number, the number I used was not a number to be quoted on other city guides etc. sites on the web. I'm sure about that.
- Before the problem starts ı didn't have any review or stars and ı didn't have not more 2 pictures.

I heard aboud Bedlam algorithm changing on this forum. I thought it was because I changed my phone number.
But right now I'm confused about what caused it.

This GMB Location is what I get for a living. About money.
So ı'm very stressed now, and ı really need your helps.

Thank you for reading my article. I hope maybe somebody helps me.

It does appear that Google is penalizing Exact Match Name GMB listings. I am hearing that other people are ranking for one term or the other. The Google Maps shake-up is not done yet and I am still seeing and monitoring a lot of changes for multiple locations.

One thing I didn't mention is that the one "business" that is now dominating our area (guitar lessons) has a GMB listing as "Guitar Lessons + suburb" which isn't the name of the business - he doesn't have a verified address or a link to his website (under the real name).

I don't think "qualifiers" should be penalised but this is just blatant keyword+ suburb with no attempt to relate it back to the actual business website and he is dominating everyone. It's tempting to try the same thing but the minute I do it , I'll be put in the naughty corner lol

We control a site that had ranked number one for several years in various keyword combinations, now tanked almost across the board. We were suspended earlier this year for an alleged virtual office, which we disproved after submitting all kinds of evidence that we had a real office (but we are on the same *floor* as a Da Vinci office, in a large building). Does anyone think there could be a correlation between offices in these locations and rank drop? We are not currently suspended.

Looks like this algo update is still swinging. Here's a client that saw a significant drop and as of this morning they regained traction.

bedlam ranking algo.png

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom