More threads by Laustin1878

Reaction score
It appears that I have come upon an issue that I cannot seem to put a finger on. Business has a places account and still using old dashboard. No merge has taken place. There is a personal G+ page for the business owner but I have not created a Google + business page out of fear of messing something up.

A few changes were made to the business, most notably, URL change and I made these changes in the dashboard. When I search for the business, the search results display the old website URL. It appears the listing that is displayed is the merged places and + page. The business name is now DBA but the main business name remained the same so I did not change that in the dashboard.

I wanted to make a change using Map Maker from the listing on Google but didn't want the muddy the water up any further so I didnt make the change. Why would Google display the old information which is different then what I've put in the Places Dashboard? How do I correct this issue? I have 301 redirects in place but I'd rather use the correct/new URL which Google doesn't seem to be displaying.

Do I claim the Google + business page? I just can't figure out why Google would show something that is different from what I have in the Dashboard. I updated a few hub citations as well. I'm thinking it has something to do with the citations funneling into Google.

Hey Luke,

I realize you tried to explain but some things are not adding up and I need to see listing to help.

For instance at 1st you say "No merge has taken place. I have not created a Google + business page"

But then next para you say: "It appears the listing that is displayed is the merged places and + page." ???

Please see rules of this section of forum explaining why we need links to be able to help:
Rules for the Help & Support Forum - Please Read Before Posting

I was going to suggest if you didn't want to post link publicly let me know and I'd move this to the Private Pro forum. But unfortunately it is closing today to Pros that have not upgraded and since you haven't that would not be an option for you.

A couple things I can tell you generically without looking.

1) If what's live does not match dash - I'd call support rather than use MM. MM can really mess you up. PLUS if you talk to support they can shed light sometimes on what the REAL CAUSE of the problem is.

2) I would never jack the site to make up for Google problems. Could be temp prob with G then would have to re-do the site redirects. Get Google support to fix Google display problems.

3) Although there could be a prob with this listing - what I suspect is happening is this: The old dash is just kinda dead and broken. Changes are taking forever and sometimes just seem to never show up. So kinda depends when you made edit but if just a couple weeks ago I would assume it's just stuck due to old dash.

I also ASSUME (just guessing) that if you are Q'ed up for upgrade to new dash, new edits could be held up so they don't happen mid change and goof something up.

So please post link if you need more help and also need to know how long ago you made the URL edit.

Sorry for the confusion. I need to remember to KISS...lol (Keep It Simple Stupid) Obviously directing the stupid towards myself.

The merge I was referring to was in the results. The page that you are taken to is the + page, not the old Places page. I presume this is some sort of Google merge on their end? I have not created a G+ local page. Was contemplating creating one but didn't want to cause any more confusion.

Here is the link to the places page:
https://plus.google.com/102003153185692784948/about?hl=en&gl=us

I've attached a couple of screen shots from the dashboard and the results. Dashboard is correct URL dd places dashboard snip.PNG dd places listing snip.PNG

Where the heck do I find the number to contact support?

I have to look at the posts regarding updating my pro status. I overlooked this unfortunately as I became quite involved in a project. Thank you for reminding me about this as well as your blind insight.

dd places dashboard snip.PNG

dd places listing snip.PNG

The merge I was referring to was in the results. The page that you are taken to is the + page, not the old Places page. I presume this is some sort of Google merge on their end? I have not created a G+ local page. Was contemplating creating one but didn't want to cause any more confusion.

Thanks for link and more details, that helps!

Still totally confused. The link I get is the one you posted: https://plus.google.com/102003153185692784948/about?hl=en&gl=us

That is the Place page. Unmerged.

Are you seeing some other page besides the one above? Or what are you referring to when you say: "The page that you are taken to is the + page, not the old Places page. I presume this is some sort of Google merge on their end?"

OK so now that I can see it I think I see your problem. And I believe this is what support will tell you when you call and this is why I said not to change in MM, because if I am correct it won't get to the core of the problem.

I think you have a hidden merged dupe - or what Google might call a dual claimed listing. Which is a violation and can cause all kinds of data issues - just like the one you are experiencing.

WHY? Check the live cats. There are 11. The old dash only gives you 5. When there are that many it almost always indicates the owner or maybe previous SEO or web person claimed another listing in a different account. (Unless there are 2 claimed in dsah you work on.)

What happened is Other dash has the old URL. You are working on 2nd listing and changed to new URL. But the 2 listings are merge and the other one is in partial control and that one still says the old URL is correct. Thats how you got the 11 cats too. Cats from both dashboards are merged together.

Some of the cats violate the is not does rule which I think you know about so I bet they are in the other dash. Here they all are: Google Map Maker

So 1st I'd hammer the client to try to find that other account. If find, have him delete>> remove from account (NOT delete from maps.)

If they can't find it or have no idea who created or no longer have pass, then you'll need to ask support to unverify it.

To call support - Old dash >> help top right >> contact us >> call us.

I told G they should not have moved troubleshooter. But they think "contact us" is highly discoverable. Based on how many people I help that can't find support I still maintain it is not easy to find.

Thanks for link and more details, that helps!

Still totally confused. The link I get is the one you posted: https://plus.google.com/102003153185692784948/about?hl=en&gl=us

That is the Place page. Unmerged.
Clearly, part of this is my confusion on what a merged page looks like and I had a feeling I was confusing this. Going back to get a better understanding of what I'm looking at.

Are you seeing some other page besides the one above? Or what are you referring to when you say: "The page that you are taken to is the + page, not the old Places page. I presume this is some sort of Google merge on their end?"
Nope. Seeing the URL with g+ in it keeps throwing me off.

OK so now that I can see it I think I see your problem. And I believe this is what support will tell you when you call and this is why I said not to change in MM, because if I am correct it won't get to the core of the problem.

I think you have a hidden merged dupe - or what Google might call a dual claimed listing. Which is a violation and can cause all kinds of data issues - just like the one you are experiencing.
I initially inquired about it and asked again recently and the answer was no. Is there another way I can check for a dupe?

Can support help on this front? The listing ranks quite well for a number of terms. I have noticed a lack in actions on the listing and have not identified why yet. Searching various terms still pulls the listing and I figured a penalty would limit the saturation. Am I incorrect?

WHY? Check the live cats. There are 11. The old dash only gives you 5. When there are that many it almost always indicates the owner or maybe previous SEO or web person claimed another listing in a different account. (Unless there are 2 claimed in dsah you work on.)
Very interesting.... Hopefully a call to support can fix this as well.

What happened is Other dash has the old URL. You are working on 2nd listing and changed to new URL. But the 2 listings are merge and the other one is in partial control and that one still says the old URL is correct. Thats how you got the 11 cats too. Cats from both dashboards are merged together.

Some of the cats violate the is not does rule which I think you know about so I bet they are in the other dash. Here they all are: Google Map Maker
I see your point much better now.

So 1st I'd hammer the client to try to find that other account. If find, have him delete>> remove from account (NOT delete from maps.)

If they can't find it or have no idea who created or no longer have pass, then you'll need to ask support to unverify it.

To call support - Old dash >> help top right >> contact us >> call us.

I told G they should not have moved troubleshooter. But they think "contact us" is highly discoverable. Based on how many people I help that can't find support I still maintain it is not easy to find.
Excellent advice and thank you for taking the time to help. You are a legend!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom