More threads by Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Solutions
Reaction score
Hello all!
My client is looking to update their Google street view with shots that a 360º photographer has taken of their place. The 360º tour has already been uploaded to their Google profile and they would now like to update the "View outside" section as well. Is this possible? The current street view Google has is outdated.
Thanks

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 10.49.56 AM.jpg

@Jeffrey, the "outside" view is from Google's Street View cars, generally. Those come by every few years, or even less frequently, depending on your city/town you're in and what street you're on. (Google let 7-8 years pass between drives by my house.) That's the "free" option.

If you buy a new photo shoot, your Google-trusted photographer may be able to work some new Street View imagery into the photo shoot, though that's something you'll probably want to confirm before ponying up.

@Phil Rozek, have you seen instances where a photographer or Google was able to replace the "Outside" view with one that a trusted photographer took?

@Jeffrey, none comes to mind.

Now, the "see photos" photo (in the knowledge panel) can be one that a Google-trusted photographer took, and those photographers take exterior photos that do show up under "Street View & 360" all the time. So it's not like (1) Google never shows photographers' photos in the knowledge panel or (2) only showcases its own exterior / Street View photos, which tells me it's probably possible to get a paid photographer's Street View exterior shot to show up there. The tricky part is that Google always seems to default to its cars' Street View shots when it has them available, and it almost always has them available. What I don't know is whether a photographer can override Google's default choice on that - like if the car-produced Street View is very old. Again, a question for the photographer. (I'd be interested to hear what you find.)

I shoot Google virtual tours and I have not seen any 'See Outside' default to a more recent tour shot by a photographer.

The 'See Outside' will remain as it is until Google updates with its own street view. I have seen cases where the 'See Outside' has disappeared from the search results altogether, maybe because Google's AI realised that it is outdated after the newly submitted photographer virtual tour. But the latter is a very big assumption for my end...

I have seen cases where the 'See Outside' has disappeared from the search results altogether, maybe because Google's AI realised that it is outdated after the newly submitted photographer virtual tour. But the latter is a very big assumption for my end...

I've also seen that a couple of times, and had the same assumption. In one case I saw recently, there was no way a Google Street View car to see the business's entrance from the street, because customers need to walk through a courtyard-type area for about 100 feet to enter. So I would guess there never was a "See Outside" view, at least in that case.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom