More threads by ToddB

ToddB

Reaction score
Hi all. New to the forum here. Been a long time follower but first post. Hope to get actively involved in this great community.

With my first post I bring my first question. We have a auto repair shop that isnt ranking too well.

When we do a places search for "auto repair city" they come up at the top of the 3rd page. The page title is displayed, not the business name.

And in the page title we aren't targeting "auto repair city" we are targeting "auto repair city2", with city 2 being the larger metro area. So I assume this has to be hurting rankings??

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Todd, welcome and thanks for making your 1st post. That means you are now one of us! :p

With my first post I bring my first question. We have a auto repair shop that isnt ranking too well.

When we do a places search for "auto repair city" they come up at the top of the 3rd page. The page title is displayed, not the business name.

And in the page title we aren't targeting "auto repair city" we are targeting "auto repair city2", with city 2 being the larger metro area. So I assume this has to be hurting rankings??

It's so hard to answer Q without seeing the example because there are variances for a variety and what I "think" you are describing can be different than what you
"think' you are describing.

But in a nutshell if they are located in City 1 they likely won't rank well in City 2 but it depends on competition.

"And in the page title we aren't targeting "auto repair city" we are targeting "auto repair city2"

Google changes title tag all the time now and displays whatever SHE thinks is most relevant.

If you are searching for "auto repair city 1" then G may change the title tag from "auto repair city2" to "auto repair city1" to be more relevant. Because you searched for city 1 and they are located in city 1.

However they are ranking low for city 1 because you are optimized for city 2. And they aren't going to rank in city 2 - the big metro - since they aren't located there, so you may as well optimize for city 1 and get higher for those searches right in their own back yard.

At least that's my best guess, based on description, working in the dark, not being able to see it. :)

thanks for the fast reply!

The page title of the website is targeting the larger metro city, and we are ranking organically for that.

however the business is located in a smaller non metro city within. You could mail to this business using either city and it will arrive. the smaller city is where they are rankng on page 3 for, and where the listing is displaying the larger metro city in the page title of the google plus listing.

They should be ranking well for this smaller area but I think having the larger metro city in the page title may be messing it up.

I hope that clears it up a little bit.

Todd,

Like Linda said, shooting in the dark without seeing the situation, but will try anyway.

The title replacement for the business name in the maps would only occur for a couple of reasons. Either a) it's a mistake for which you can report a problem and have it manually reviewed or b) the algo distrusts the business name and doesn't have enough reliable data to corroborate that yes, that is in fact the business's name. Still, even with "b" as the case, you might be able to get the business name changed through the report a problem channel.

The fact the business is ranking very well organically and not well for the smaller city in the maps indicates there might be quite a bit of NAP/data confusion for the business name and the next best thing the algo has is the page title. If that is the case, a dual approach of fixing the incorrect data across the web and reporting the issue to G might fix it.

The title replacement for the business name in the maps would only occur for a couple of reasons. Either a) it's a mistake for which you can report a problem and have it manually reviewed or b) the algo distrusts the business name and doesn't have enough reliable data to corroborate that yes, that is in fact the business's name. Still, even with "b" as the case, you might be able to get the business name changed through the report a problem channel.

Hi Jacob, I believe he meant the organic title tag in the SERPs not the name on the G+ Local page. So report a problem won't work. It's an organic search issue.

(Again the problem of not seeing the example. Either you or I could have interpreted what was described wrong.)

Hmm not sure.

We need:
Link to the google+local page
Screenshot of the organic listing or large city
Screenshot of page 3 result

Sorry for the delay...Jake is right in that the page title for the google plus listing is showing up wrong. there are a bunch of citations built out for the business that are accurate. I just took this business on so hoping to help them out.

I will try and change it through the report a problem.

https://plus.google.com/105304837474055669776/?hl=en

---------- Post Merged at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:15 AM ----------

i uploaded the wrong pic. i tried uploading again but having some problems with it.

i uploaded the correct one as an attachment

And Jake. We met one time in the past. I worked at Berry for very brief period. Glad to see you branched out and starting something of your own. Best wishes to you

Screen Shot 2013-03-13 at 10.40.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 8.10.32 AM.png

Sorry for the delay...Jake is right in that the page title for the google plus listing is showing up wrong. there are a bunch of citations built out for the business that are accurate. I just took this business on so hoping to help them out.

I will try and change it through the report a problem.

https://plus.google.com/105304837474055669776/?hl=en

---------- Post Merged at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:15 AM ----------

i uploaded the wrong pic. i tried uploading again but having some problems with it.

i uploaded the correct one as an attachment

And Jake. We met one time in the past. I worked at Berry for very brief period. Glad to see you branched out and starting something of your own. Best wishes to you

A big problem is that the business name isn't on the Title of the website. Using opinions like "honest" aren't going to be helpful in saying what the website is for.

The corporate name is "Seasonall Automotive Inc"
The common/contact name on the website is "Seasonall Automotive"
The name on the sign is "Seasonall Automotive Service Center"

I'm not sure why "Seasonall Automotive Center" is being used on the Google+ Local page. You should be using the legal name, the shortened legal name or the one on the sign. I would suggest using "Seasonall Automotive" as the name since it is the shortened corporate name. But the name being used should be the one people and the business use to describe it. I doubt most people would call the place "Seasonall Automotive Center"

Sorry, could have fooled me. With subject "Page title displaying instead of Business name" combined with sentence above, that totally sounded to me like you were saying Google was changing the title tag in the search results not name on G+L.

The corporate name is "Seasonall Automotive Inc"
The common/contact name on the website is "Seasonall Automotive"
The name on the sign is "Seasonall Automotive Service Center"

"Seasonall Automotive Center"

I'm not sure why "Seasonall Automotive Center" is being used on the Google+ Local page."

"Seasonall Automotive Center" is in footer, on BOTH location pages and on the contact us page, which I would think Google sees as the most important location page.

"Seasonall Automotive Inc" "(585) 424-1052" ZERO Citations
"Seasonall Automotive Service Center" "(585) 424-1052" 4 citations
"Seasonall Automotive Center" "(585) 424-1052" 178,000 citations

178,000 citations is a TON so looks to me like "Seasonall Automotive Center" is the name they represent themselves as.

So I'm curious, since that looks to me like the correct name, Jake when you say the name is wrong, how is the name listed in dash? Because it looks like all the citations match that one.

Ahhh... back in Nov 2011 a bot deleted "Henrietta Seasonall Automotive Center" which looks to me like it may be a GEO stuffed version of the name. Is that what's in dash?

Thanks for all the replies!

The name they are targeting is "Seasonall Automotive Center"

We just took on this account so anything that was done wasn't by me. Going to be cleaning up a bit but wanted to start with some input on the google + listing.

Thanks everyone

Sorry Todd, still so confused. Originally I thought you were saying the title that shows up in SEARCH.

2 posts up you said "Jake is right in that the page title for the google plus listing is showing up wrong."

Which made both Andrew and I think THEN that you were saying the G+ L business name was listed wrong. So we did all that research and gave you advice based on that.

But now you say "The name they are targeting is "Seasonall Automotive Center"

So the name on the G+ L page is actually correct as I thought?

So sorry for the confusion.

Yes that is the business name they are targeting.

However if you do a Google Search for "auto repair henrietta ny" they are on the 3rd page of places listings. And there listings shows the title as "Auto Repair Rochester NY..."

Overall am wondering if having the page title display there versus the business name is hurting them from ranking for "auto repair henrietta ny", since the page title has Rochester, NY in it, not Henrietta.

So yes the name on Google + is correct, Seasonall Automotive Center, however that business name doesn't appear in the Maps search results, it is the page title, as you can see in the previous screen shot.

Does that clear it up?

I don't even know if this is hurting them or not. I did report it to Google and I also updated the page title of the homepage to include the business name. No reason to target the "Auto Repair Rochester NY" with the homepage as there is a separate Rochester page for that.

Yes that is the business name they are targeting.

However if you do a Google Search for "auto repair henrietta ny" they are on the 3rd page of places listings. And there listings shows the title as "Auto Repair Rochester NY..."

Overall am wondering if having the page title display there versus the business name is hurting them from ranking for "auto repair henrietta ny", since the page title has Rochester, NY in it, not Henrietta.

So yes the name on Google + is correct, Seasonall Automotive Center, however that business name doesn't appear in the Maps search results, it is the page title, as you can see in the previous screen shot.

Does that clear it up?

I don't even know if this is hurting them or not. I did report it to Google and I also updated the page title of the homepage to include the business name. No reason to target the "Auto Repair Rochester NY" with the homepage as there is a separate Rochester page for that.

OK so yes that's what I THOUGHT we were talking about to begin with. The G+ L business name is correct, it's what Google is CHOOSING to display as the title in the search results that's an issue.

You can't report that to Google or ask them to change it. It's done automagically on the organic side.

"auto repair henrietta ny" they are on the 3rd page of places listings. And there listings shows the title as "Auto Repair Rochester NY..."

That's because that's what WAS in the title tag of the site. Google was simply reading all the VERY strong signals she saw on the web site.

Now that you've changed title tag it should help a little.

HOWEVER the home page is still heavily optimized for Rochester not Henrietta. Sometimes when Google changes the title tag in search it's based on the H1 not the title tag. So if you want to rank better for henrietta, need to optimize for that city throughout.

HTML:
<h1>Auto Repair and Maintenance for Rochester, NY</h1>
<h1>Rochester, NY Auto Repair and Maintenace</h1> (Typo in last word)

FYI should not use more than one H1 on a page either. Can shorten and add both cities like this:

HTML:
<h1>Henrietta and Rochester Auto Repair and Maintenance</h1>

One other mistake I happened to notice. Google hates bad links. There are 2 broken links in the footer of EVERY PAGE on the site. Bottom left: Rochester NY Car Repair and Henrietta NY Car Repair

Thanks so much. Already love this place! This is a new client so we will make the changes and see what happens from there. Thanks again

Hey Todd - glad to hear we've met! Add me to gchat if you use it jacobpuhl at firegang.com

Regarding your client, I think there might be some name/address/phone confusion along with heavy spammy link building that is causing G to think the title tag is more relevant to the searcher than the business name. I've seen this a few times organically where the algo doesn't know what to put in the title/meta desc of the site in the search results, so it defaults to something else. This is the first time I've seen it in the Maps results though, but it makes sense.

Desired NAP
Current Google + Local: https://plus.google.com/105304837474055669776/posts?hl=en
Name: Seasonall Automotive Center
Address: 1601 E Henrietta Rd Rochester, NY 14623
Phone: +1 585-424-1052

Incorrect NAP's
Also associated with that phone number and/or address:
"Henrietta Seasonall Automotive Center"
Example here: Henrietta Seasonall Automotive Center - Rochester, NY

"Henrietta Tire & Muffler"
Example here: Henrietta Tire & Muffler - Rochester, NY

"Seasonall Automotive"
Example here: http://www.yellowpages.com/rochester-ny/mip/seasonall-automotive-474529987?lid=427914913"
Example here: Automotive Parts and Service | ACDelco
(note: both those have a second phone number)
Example Here: https://www.youtube.com/user/seasonallautomotive

"Seasonall Automotive Ctr"
Example here: Seasonall Automotive Ctr .::. 1601 E Henrietta Rd - Rochester, NY - (585) 4241052 ::: brought to you by Mechanic Hunter

Also, there has been all kinds of spammy links which could be sending more confusing signals to the algo. See here: Tire Service Rochester NY | Call (585) 424-1052 - Rochester, NY Videos : Firstpost Topic - Page 1

Lots more of that.

However, this spam is actually working/sending strong signals for the KW's in the organic algo.. but hurting your maps.

In the firstpost.com example, to a machine algo, it MIGHT look like a business name of "Tire Service Rochester NY" IF done repetitively and the algo looks for words close the phone number as the business name. I stress "if" (see some of bill slawski's work on patents). Here are some resources:
How Business Names Might be Used by Google in Local Search Ranking Signals - SEO by the Sea
How Google Might Generate Snippets for Search Results <-- good here

The simple view is Google thinks the title tag (which mimics tons of the link building performed) is a better representation of what the searcher would want to see than the business name. I think the link building which has been done and worked for the organic results is sending powerful signals for those words; and combined with the business name inconsistency, this might be causing the replacement.

You could try a few things. 1) definitely work on correcting all the NAPs 2) take down all the spam 3) play with the title tags and test what it does to ranking. Change it to the business name and see if it falls organically - play around? at your own risk :)

Hope that helps :)

Awesome detective work and excellent feedback. Thanks Jacob!

Sorry, could have fooled me. With subject "Page title displaying instead of Business name" combined with sentence above, that totally sounded to me like you were saying Google was changing the title tag in the search results not name on G+L.

"Seasonall Automotive Center" is in footer, on BOTH location pages and on the contact us page, which I would think Google sees as the most important location page.

"Seasonall Automotive Inc" "(585) 424-1052" ZERO Citations
"Seasonall Automotive Service Center" "(585) 424-1052" 4 citations
"Seasonall Automotive Center" "(585) 424-1052" 178,000 citations

178,000 citations is a TON so looks to me like "Seasonall Automotive Center" is the name they represent themselves as.

So I'm curious, since that looks to me like the correct name, Jake when you say the name is wrong, how is the name listed in dash? Because it looks like all the citations match that one.

Ahhh... back in Nov 2011 a bot deleted "Henrietta Seasonall Automotive Center" which looks to me like it may be a GEO stuffed version of the name. Is that what's in dash?
I agree there's a lot of citations for that name but it is unclear if that's the name they are known as/do business as since there are mutiple names on the website and the name on the storefront isn't "Seasonall Automotive Center" at least in the images I saw. Having a corporate name Seasonal Automotive Inc and another name is okay and can be differentiated using MapMaker, but the official website should muddy this.
Thanks for all the replies!

The name they are targeting is "Seasonall Automotive Center"

We just took on this account so anything that was done wasn't by me. Going to be cleaning up a bit but wanted to start with some input on the google + listing.

Thanks everyone
Not sure how one "targets" a business name. You're either called that by yourself and others or it just appears to me and other outside viewers that you're trying to use a name that you think will rank well in SERPs which Google frowns on.

Not sure how one "targets" a business name. You're either called that by yourself and others or it just appears to me and other outside viewers that you're trying to use a name that you think will rank well in SERPs which Google frowns on.

I meant to comment on that too. Struck me as odd as well.

Thanks again for all the great feedback.

When i said they were targeting the name I meant that's just what they want to be called and what they are normally called.

I will implement these things and come back with an update for everyone!

Take care

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom