HurricaneK8

Reaction score
We have a chiropractor client who has written unique, well written articles and posted them on her website. To make it easier for clients to print these articles out, she's made them into PDFs.

The problem now is that the PDFs outrank the pages that are on the website. The PDFs obviously don't have any links back to the main site, and have a lower PA (10 vs 20). We have a few solutions: Put re=canonical tags on the PDFs or no-index the PDFs.

I'm just wondering if there's any reason Google would rank a PDF with lower page authority over a webpage with higher page authority, and links to the rest of the website, if it's the exact same content?

---------- Post Merged at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:36 AM ----------

I should mention: The PDFs don't have any backlinks built to them except the one from the main site

Reaction score
Kate, would you be willing to share what your SERPS via PM or public. we are about to SEO 30 pdf files and I would like to see what is going on....

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I think I've seen PDFs rank a couple times. But this seems like an extreme case.

Would love to see too if you can share Kate.

Otherwise please post in the private forum so just Pros can see.

But then if we have any feedback or reasoning, we'll post it here in public for others to see that may be struggling with the same issue.

Thanks!

HurricaneK8

Reaction score

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Canonical tag seems like it might work. You might also want to link from the PDF to the page you want to rank well.

Should do the trick.

HurricaneK8

Reaction score
Thanks Joshua,

As I mentioned-- we have a few solutions to the problem that will work and that's not what I'm after. What I wanted opinions on is what does Google dislike about the website SO much that it would rank the PDF higher instead... I haven't been able to find anything glaringly obvious.

Howell

Reaction score
I'll venture a guess that it's due to the Hummingbird update and it's love for long tail keywords.

I've had PDFs recently start showing up even though they were loaded up before Hummingbird started flying.

Google wants to become the "answer machine" and PDFs have that content.

Reaction score
Any kind of penalization in the websites past? Also, which page ranks higher for keyword searches that are not quotes lifted from the page? Still the pdf?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Suleyman Okan PDFs in SERP listing competitor names in title Local Search 2
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 6
Matt Chauhan Serious Problem With A Dentist's Local Rankings. NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
JoshuaMackens Google Posts & Ranking Local Search 10
djbaxter Passage based rankings, core web vitals, responsive search ads: A rant Google Algorithm Discussions 0
dateinadash Will changing https:// to https://www cause an issue with rankings? Organic SEO 3
Stef Kiley Temp closed business ranking higher in local pack Help & Support for Google Local 2
ChristianRdz Redirecting a ranking page to another site Organic SEO 4
Imperialpest Page Speed and Local / Ranking Question Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
A Pointing SEO friendly domain to old domain and its effect on GMB ranking? Local Search 4
djbaxter Google Page Experience Signals for Ranking Apply Only to Mobile Organic SEO 0
J Suspended Listings That Were Reinstated Lost Rankings? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
RattlingTram Wild rank variations for plural v singular & same intent single keyword searches Ranking Puzzles 2
Y Whenever I publish update for my local business, my local rankings drop for 3-4 days Local Search 1
djbaxter Page experience: Now a new Google ranking factor Organic SEO 0
djbaxter Passage Indexing: Not A Core Update. It's Ranking, Not Indexing. Don't Optimize For It Google Algorithm Discussions 0
P Replying to All GMB Reviews: Rank Impact? Local Reviews 8
Ben Walsh Best keywords to use for geogrid ranking maps Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
djbaxter 4 Google My Business Fields That Impact Ranking (and 3 That Don't) Google My Business & Google Maps 16
MarianoF Daily Ranking Fluctuation and Wrong listing showing up Google Duplicates & Merges 4
B Competitor ranking higher than me Help & Support for Google Local 2
RattlingTram Map Pack Rankings for SAB with equal intent keywords Service Area Businesses 2
A Big Issue with Google Map Rankings For Everyone Local Search 9
Zhanna Which tracker shows correct data? Massive drop down in rankings in one of the trackers Help & Support for Google Local 3
coachmarino Ranking in Next Door State? Local Search 2
Creativedge Question on duplicate content and search ranking for dentists Local Search 10
A Will posting too often negatively impact GMB ranking? Local Search 3
A Legal Services Rankings Tanked After Potential Update - Solutions? What Did You Do? Organic SEO 2
djbaxter Google: CWV is not a ranking signal, at least not yet Organic SEO 1
B Ranking High Organically but Low in The Local Pack Local Search 4
Ben Walsh Is the reason this page is ranking above a better page because of DR? (ahrefs) Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 6
STM Using Web 2.0 properties to boost local rankings in 2020? Local SEO Tools & Software 1
JoyHawkins Ranking Updates - August 13, 2020 Google Algorithm Discussions 2
djbaxter Google: Moz Spam Score, Domain Authority Does Not Impact Google Rankings Organic SEO 1
djbaxter SEO myth-busting: What is NOT a Google search ranking factor Organic SEO 3
B Link building anchor text for local rankings 2020 Organic SEO 1
Dana Franks Rankings crash after new site - is it the domain? Organic SEO 3
RattlingTram Issues with ranking clent's business CONSISTENTLY Help & Support for Google Local 2
Ellen Google Virtual Tour Photographer Claims Boost to Rankings Google My Business & Google Maps 3
lincolnchan Large Ranking Disparity Between Locales All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 11
C Ranking tool for the local pack Organic SEO 5
A Business No Longer Ranks for Category After Merger Google Duplicates & Merges 2
LocalSEODat Using UTM for GMB link to website. Does that mess w/ citation matching, rankings or anything negative effect? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
V Local Services Ad: Does using a different phone number in local services ad effect the organic ranking for my site Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
H Ranks better for (city name) than for near me . . .which means....? Organic SEO 3
Matthew Summers Anyone else see a big change in "blue links" rankings starting around 5.26.20? Google Algorithm Discussions 0
S Confused. Very low authority websites keep ranking higher in Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 15
T Guest Posting To Increase Your Traffic And Google Rankings. Contact Us Messages 1
CarrieHill NEW Use Places Scout to Create Visual Aids for Ranking, Monitor GMB Changes & Create GMB Scorecards Local SEO Tools & Software 4
N Would changing the main business category drop a GMB rankings significantly or at all if it's in the same industry? Local Content 7