More threads by Mike Pedersen

Reaction score
Okay, I have a client with a merged listing. So if I post a new article on their site, would I do a post on their G+ Profile (and link back to that article on their site) or post it to their G+ merged "page" with a link back to the article on their site?

So now I'm assuming I am dealing with a "page" not a G+ Local Listing anymore...correct?

Thanks,
Mike

I would certainly link to the article from the merged Local G+ page, not the personal profile.

Here's a question for you Colan.

If I launched another website (unique content, etc.) for this client, would I link to that site from the merged page as well? And set up authorship on the new site? Or, do I not want to let google know about the second (new) site?

Would love some input from anyone on the below question.

Here's a question for you Colan.

If I launched another website (unique content, etc.) for this client, would I link to that site from the merged page as well? And set up authorship on the new site? Or, do I not want to let google know about the second (new) site?

Or, do I not want to let google know about the second (new) site?

I would not draw attention to it or link to it and in fact with my clients if they build a new site I tell them they can't put NAP in readable text, only in a graphic.

WHY? I've seen Google attach the wrong site to the listing in blended. A consultant here reported to support and asked for help because Google changed the URL on the G+ page. Support said if there are multiple sites the algo will use whichever they feel is most relevant. This this business owns this site it's relevant and we won't change it. If you don't want this to happen you should only have one site.

SOOO what can happen is this. You have the main site optimized for Cosmetic Dentistry and all your main KWS and it's ranking high for everything due to blending with THAT site.

The new site is targeted to rank for Invisalign, let's say. If Google attaches that site to the G+ page in blended, you'll not only lose ranking for all the other KWs, but pts will hit THAT Invisalign site from Google instead of the general site that talks about Family Dentistry and all their other services.

Interesting as some of their competitors have multiple EMD sites and are ranking at the top for each term, but looks like they are using a call tracking phone number instead of their main number.

Do you think a call tracking number in image format would be better?

What about linking out to their facebook, youtube, etc? But not G+ properties?

Is it okay to have a google map on that second website?

Thanks
Mike

I would not draw attention to it or link to it and in fact with my clients if they build a new site I tell them they can't put NAP in readable text, only in a graphic.

WHY? I've seen Google attach the wrong site to the listing in blended. A consultant here reported to support and asked for help because Google changed the URL on the G+ page. Support said if there are multiple sites the algo will use whichever they feel is most relevant. This this business owns this site it's relevant and we won't change it. If you don't want this to happen you should only have one site.

SOOO what can happen is this. You have the main site optimized for Cosmetic Dentistry and all your main KWS and it's ranking high for everything due to blending with THAT site.

The new site is targeted to rank for Invisalign, let's say. If Google attaches that site to the G+ page in blended, you'll not only lose ranking for all the other KWs, but pts will hit THAT Invisalign site from Google instead of the general site that talks about Family Dentistry and all their other services.

Interesting as some of their competitors have multiple EMD sites and are ranking at the top for each term, but looks like they are using a call tracking phone number instead of their main number.

It's not that you CAN'T do it. You can. Some get away with it just fine.

I was just pointing out a risk of something that can occasionally happen.

I have a similar issue where a business i work with built a new website and somehow Google caught wind of it and has now attached this new url to their Google+ page which is not what we wanted to happen. Mind you there are only a couple of links to that new site, so it has very little authority compared to the primary site, but now we are stuck tryin to figure out how to send signals to Google to revert the url back.

Do you think changing the NAP info on this to site to display as an image would help?

I have a similar issue where a business i work with built a new website and somehow Google caught wind of it and has now attached this new url to their Google+ page which is not what we wanted to happen. Mind you there are only a couple of links to that new site, so it has very little authority compared to the primary site, but now we are stuck tryin to figure out how to send signals to Google to revert the url back.

Do you think changing the NAP info on this to site to display as an image would help?

May help.

You could also try Google support. But there's a chance they will tell you what I said they told another consultant above. But it's worth a shot.

Yeah I reached out via phone to Google support and they basically said that the url is controlled by the algorithm, but that he would put in a change request in case it does help.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom