freerunr

Reaction score
Hey Jim,

Tim, and the rest of the PEs are discussing this feature with Google later this week. I will bring this thread to their attention.
@Colan Nielsen, did the conversation result in any helpful information that you can share?

One thing we're wondering is if we utilize our own call tracking number on GMB, would enabling call history result in calls no longer getting tracked using our own system? If so, why? Because wouldn't the Google forwarding number used for a given call to a GMB profile have to connect to the business's phone number we've added from the GMB dashboard at some point in the call flow?

I would understand if this functionality behaved like Google Voice in this regard, but Google Voice is linked to either 1) devices and/or 2) other phone numbers. Since many businesses still use a landline device, that's not an option here. And linking with another phone number leads me back to the question above about calls eventually connecting to the business's phone number that's been added in the GMB dashboard.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi Kerry,

My original understanding was that you could use traditional call tracking service and also enable the call preview Beta with no issues. However, Google recently told me that you should not enable this feature if you're already using a tracking number on the Google My Business listing. So as a best practice I would avoid mixing traditional call tracking with this feature.

Jon Hall

Reaction score
I guess Google is now promoting Call History via email. Just had a customer ask me about it. The email concluded:
This is an experimental feature only available to a small number of users. Your business can be one of the first to try and give feedback.
Doesn't that just give you the warm fuzzies? LOL. Anyway, this thread was invaluable to me. Thanks @Colan Nielsen for starting it! I have a few contributions from my own research/line of work:

1. @freerunr There's no technical reason why you can't enable GMB Call History along with a call-tracker of your own. BUT doing so introduces another link in the daisy chain: a customer clicks "Call" and their phone calls the GMB tracker, the GMB tracker forwards to your custom tracker, and your custom tracker forwards to the business. All those extra "hops" introduce more and more latency in the call which can make for a conversation full of awkward pauses followed by talking over each other 😬 My guess is that this is the reason there's some discrepancy on whether or not you can/should use this feature with third-party tracking.

2. @Jim Froling it's been awhile since you asked, but for anyone else turning on Call History now, note that if you had 58 calls to a client in the past month but just turned on the feature today, those past calls did not go through GMB's tracking number and therefore won't show up in Call History.

3. Finally, while I agree with the sentiment that this feature has limited utility for anyone already doing call-tracking, you can imagine that A) it can easily be made more powerful if the Big G combines it with other capabilities in its wheelhouse like transcription, sentiment analysis, messaging, etc; and B) adopting it gives Google access to a trove of incorruptible data about your business performance.

What do i mean? As it is, turning on Call History gives Google visibility into whether people are completing their calls to your business, whether you're answering them, how long they last, etc. Now imagine Google adds call recording/transcription/sentiment analysis to Call History (if they're not already doing it behind the scenes--look at their privacy policy). @Contractor already noted the business utility of such features. But for Google, they're pure gold.

<editorial>
Bad news for SEOs: Google isn't going to rely on manipulable, public channels like GMB posts and reviews to rank businesses forever. They're reaching deeper into unpublished sources like calls, messaging conversations, C-SAT surveys, etc. This is very much evident in the design of GMB messaging, which I am now quite familiar with. And the thrust behind these developments is eloquently exposed in @Adam Dorfman's article for @gsterling's excellent Near Memo: https://www.nearmedia.co/why-chat-matters-to-google/ Just saying.
</editorial>

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S New reviews not showing up in preview / maps Local Reviews 3
JoshuaMackens Adwords Preview & Diagnostic Tool Paid Search and Local Service Ads 3
A Now Missing - Customize & Preview Embedded Map in Google Classic Maps - Workaround Google My Business & Google Maps 56
Linda Buquet Google Maps Preview OPEN To All - Get Ready! Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet New Google Local Site Preview Highlights Competition Local Search 15
E How to even get 1 call on LSAs Paid Search and Local Service Ads 3
Chris Ratchford Google Analytics - setting up goals for click-to-call Organic SEO 4
0 Primary Owner hospitalized and has a stroke. Need to add myself as a manager. Verifying via phone calls only grants me Site Manager access. Help & Support for Google Local 2
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
L Apple Maps With Call Tracking Number On Website Citations 4
CarrieHill Direct Traffic Look Odd? Your Call Tracking Metrics Setup May Be to Blame Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Scott ClientClicks Call Tracking for Local Service Ads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
lukeelliott Using DNI Call Tracking With Website Connected To A GMB Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 1
W Call Tracking being Removed NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 10
J Local Service Ads (LSA) impact on GMB calls? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
H How would you interpret increasing discovery views, decreasing phone calls? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
lukeelliott Wanted to make a forum post about DNI call tracking. Contact Us Messages 1
hajnasiewicz What is this type of knowledge panel called Local Search 5
Chris Ratchford Can't find call tracking on website... need to remove it Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
Ben Walsh Call Tracking best practices Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
JoshuaMackens GMB Ads - Call Tracking Phone Number Paid Search and Local Service Ads 7
Caroline Call Now Button Disappeared on Google Posts Mobile? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
ashley.smith Business Hours - After hours calls go to call center Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Digitaldar Can't Get a Postcard or Call - How to Verify? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
K Fake Google calls Spam on Google 2
H What is a live video call? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Tim Colling Call Tracking Metrics Alternatives? Local SEO Tools & Software 4
G Reporting a fraud calls Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Tim Colling Call Tracking vendors - Which to you use for GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
djbaxter CallJoy: Why did Google Call it Joy? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 8
obcted Call Tracking In GMB Citations 12
djbaxter Bank employee gives customer's business negative Google Review after frustrating phone call Local Reviews 1
M How Does Google Calculate Call Only Ad Charges? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
Greg Gifford GMB verification prank call from Pubcon Google My Business & Google Maps 14
C Can I have a perminant CALL NOW button as part of the Three-pack? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
wideangle SEO implications of call tracking numbers on a local directory site Citations 19
M Google Ads Defaulting to Account Level Call Reporting on 9-9-19 Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
snysarah CallRail + Call Only Ads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
Tim Colling Call Tracking Metrics no longer provides phone support Recycle Bin 1
H Claiming Facebook with a phone call Citations 4
Steven12 Calling All Power People in this Group... (You'll Know First) Local Search 5
V Is There A Way To Avoid Google Confirmation Text/Calls? Local Search 5
D Call Only Ads vs. Call Only Campaigns - Correct Set-up Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
JoshuaMackens Dynamic Number Swapping (Call Tracking) Being Crawled By Google On Website Local Search 20
AndySimpson Spam Reviews / Listings - A Call To Arms Local Search Experts Forum 4
hajnasiewicz Google Assistant Calls - manually opt out Multi-Location Issues 5
Phil Rozek New naming policies for call-only ads - would be nice if applied to Google My Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Your_Cedric Call Only Ads - 2 Headlines Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Tim Colling GMB Insights call report wrong by a factor of 3 - Surprising? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
JoyHawkins Do Call Tracking Numbers Impact Ranking? Local Search 3