More threads by Colan Nielsen

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
I saw this new module inside a GMB dashboard this morning. I am asking Google for more information on the feature.

image (69).png

Clicking on "Try it out" gives me this:
gmb phone.jpg

Clicking "Learn more" goes to Call history in Google My Business - Computer - Google My Business Help

You can use call history to keep track of phone calls from your customers on Google Search and Maps. Your calls are all in one place to help you respond to missed calls and stay engaged with your customers. These calls may make it easier for you to find and do business with customers who found your business through Google. Any calls you get from your Business Profile will start with a short message that lets you know it’s from Google.

Eligibility
Call history in Google My Business (GMB) is currently in beta and only available for a select group of businesses in the US only.

How call history works
When a customer uses the “Call” button on your Business Profile, their calls show up in the “Calls” tab on your Google My Business app. From this tab you can find recent calls, missed calls, and more.

Once call history is on, customers will connect to you through a forwarding number instead of through the number on your profile. At the start of a call, you’ll get an automated message that says, “Call from Google.”

Important: You can only view your call history through the "Calls" tab on your Google My Business app.

Computer AndroidiPhone & iPad

Turn on call history
To turn on call history in Google My Business, follow the steps below:
  1. On your computer, sign in to Google My Business.
    • If you have multiple locations, open the location you'd like to manage.
  2. Tap Home.
  3. On the “Preview call history" card, tap Try it out
    DTIisAOczrSdzNCBxhIKWrjXjHucxNwocghoUa39gw=w18-h18.png
    Turn on call history.
Important: You can only view your call history through the "Calls" tab on your Google My Business app.

Turn off call history
  2. In the menu on the left, click Info.
  3. Next to your business phone number, click the pencil icon
    Edit
  4. Uncheck the box next to “See recent calls from customers on Google Search and Maps.”
  5. Click Apply.
Tip: If you turned call history off, you can turn it back on in the "Home" tab.

About Google forwarding number
On your Business Profile, customers will see your business number. When they use the “Call” button on your profile, they're forwarded to a unique forwarding number to reach you. This number is different than the one on your profile.
The Google forwarding number varies based on the location in which it’s dialed, which includes its area code or prefix number. When possible, the forwarding number will share the same area code or prefix number as your business. Otherwise, a local number in your geographic region is used. If these numbers aren’t available, a toll-free Google forwarding number is used.

Tip: It's rare that the toll-free number will be needed.

Additional information
  • Calls are kept for 45 days in the “Calls” tab.
  • If you opted in to call history, you cannot turn off the automated message you receive when a customer calls you.
  • You cannot track texts in call history. Call history only tracks phone calls. You can text customers with the Messaging feature in the GMB app.

... On your Business Profile, customers will see your business number. When they use the “Call” button on your profile, they're forwarded to a unique forwarding number to reach you. This number is different than the one on your profile. ...

I'm interested to know if the number shown on the caller's phone and call history is the actual business number, or the forwarding number. If it's the forwarding number, is it unique to your listing, or does it change dynamically?

I spoke to Google about this but didn't get much more detail than is available here: Call history in Google My Business - Computer - Google My Business Help. It's US only and opt-in. There's no transcription and no call recording. Call logs will remain for 45 days. There's also a "whisper" message on calls that are actually answered telling the recipient (business owner) that the call originated from Google.

Appreciate the update, Greg.

I'm interested to know if the number shown on the caller's phone and call history is the actual business number, or the forwarding number. If it's the forwarding number, is it unique to your listing, or does it change dynamically?
The number shown to the caller will be the forwarding number.

What is the point of this? What does this do that the call log built into the phone doesn't do? This only keeps a log of the calls thru Google, not everywhere else. It doesn't even record.

I'll tell ya, I love getting calls thru Google Local Service Ads because I can let the customer tell me their address and info without having the write it down while I am in the field. I just go back and listen to the recording when I get back to the office and type it right into my invoicing software. I wish all calls were recorded like that.

Well that's one of the incentives to continue to use LSAs :)

On your Business Profile, customers will see your business number. When they use the “Call” button on your profile, they're forwarded to a unique forwarding number to reach you. This number is different than the one on your profile.
The Google forwarding number varies based on the location in which it’s dialed, which includes its area code or prefix number. When possible, the forwarding number will share the same area code or prefix number as your business. Otherwise, a local number in your geographic region is used. If these numbers aren’t available, a toll-free Google forwarding number is used.
@Colan (or anyone else who knows, for that matter), one of our clients is saying that on his caller ID our agency's owner's name is showing up. It could be because our agency owner is technically the owner of that client's listing. We're wondering if it's related to this recent beta test, or if it's some other issue or bug. Any insight?

Wait for @Colan but I'm guessing it's because you're the owner. Could also be a bug b/c Google clearly understands the nature of third party management of GMB accounts.

What is the point of this? What does this do that the call log built into the phone doesn't do? This only keeps a log of the calls thru Google, not everywhere else. It doesn't even record.

I'll tell ya, I love getting calls thru Google Local Service Ads because I can let the customer tell me their address and info without having the write it down while I am in the field. I just go back and listen to the recording when I get back to the office and type it right into my invoicing software. I wish all calls were recorded like that.

It's more than likely for less tech savvy business owners that don't know how to set up their own call recording. Google pushes out a lot of stuff like this ie GMB websites.

So this is definitely going to be near impossible for a multi-location business or agency to manage at the moment.

1. The calls tab only shows up on the app, not in the GMB dashboard.
  2. The tab is only on the GMB app on android, not IOS.

This is what it looks like if you have an Android.

1605641505484.png

Possibly? We were both accessing it today and I could see it (Android) but he could not (iOS) and sent me a screenshot showing the customer tab which had no call tab listed.

I know historically Google has made things functional for Android before iOS.

I'll let @Dave DiGregorio know that Google only hates his iPhone, not all of them ;)

I saw this new module inside a GMB dashboard this morning. I am asking Google for more information on the feature.

image (69).png

Clicking on "Try it out" gives me this:
gmb phone.jpg

Clicking "Learn more" goes to Call history in Google My Business - Computer - Google My Business Help

You can use call history to keep track of phone calls from your customers on Google Search and Maps. Your calls are all in one place to help you respond to missed calls and stay engaged with your customers. These calls may make it easier for you to find and do business with customers who found your business through Google. Any calls you get from your Business Profile will start with a short message that lets you know it’s from Google.

Eligibility
Call history in Google My Business (GMB) is currently in beta and only available for a select group of businesses in the US only.

How call history works
When a customer uses the “Call” button on your Business Profile, their calls show up in the “Calls” tab on your Google My Business app. From this tab you can find recent calls, missed calls, and more.

Once call history is on, customers will connect to you through a forwarding number instead of through the number on your profile. At the start of a call, you’ll get an automated message that says, “Call from Google.”

Computer AndroidiPhone & iPad

Turn on call history
To turn on call history in Google My Business, follow the steps below:
  2. Tap Home.
  3. On the “Preview call history" card, tap Try it out
    DTIisAOczrSdzNCBxhIKWrjXjHucxNwocghoUa39gw=w18-h18.png
    Turn on call history.

Turn off call history
  2. In the menu on the left, click Info.
  3. Next to your business phone number, click the pencil icon
    Edit
  4. Uncheck the box next to “See recent calls from customers on Google Search and Maps.”
  5. Click Apply.
Tip: If you turned call history off, you can turn it back on in the "Home" tab.

Tip: It's rare that the toll-free number will be needed.

Additional information
  • Calls are kept for 45 days in the “Calls” tab.
  • If you opted in to call history, you cannot turn off the automated message you receive when a customer calls you.
  • You cannot track texts in call history. Call history only tracks phone calls. You can text customers with the Messaging feature in the GMB app.
GMB Insights reports 58 calls to a client in the past month. Nothing in the GMB Call History over past 45 days. Tim Capper @GMB Forum says users basically bail out of the call after they've clicked "Call" but fail to click "Dial". I have a hard time believing that 58+ people would search for a local business, click to call and then bail out in the final stage.

I had a similar experience with AdWord's "Call Only" ads. Lots of "Clicks" ($). Not many calls.

Thoughts?

Hey Jim,

Tim, and the rest of the PEs are discussing this feature with Google later this week. I will bring this thread to their attention.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom