More threads by Larry Linson

Reaction score
I posted previously this AM on this issue, in the wrong place, and I think with a poorly-posed question. So I apologize in advance to those that responded to this question - not trying to shop the issue, just think I did not adequately formulate the question.

The question is this: does Google "penalize" a GBP address, and/or an address in other citations, that is a Private Mailbox. - a "PMB"? I am not talking about a P.O. Box - I know Google does not like those. This address is a physical address but includes a PMB.

This is a co-sharing/virtual office type of arrangement. The office has asked me to complete a USPS Form 1583 that authorizes this office to be a Commercial Mail Receiving Agency (CMRA) for me. The address I would have on this form includes a "PMB" number to be assigned to me.

In reviewing the Google guidelines I did not find any specific mention of PMBs. I do note a couple of issues:

* Google requires adequate signage. It is not clear to me if they want ME to have a sign, in which case of course I don't. Does a "leader board" suffice?
* Google states that a person or their representative needs to be available at all hours of operation. I am a one man show and I do not intend to be in this office all the time. Rather, I intend to meet with client in this office space by appointment. Seems kind of silly: I could out of the office at any moment someone comes my without an appointment whether a own, lease or do the co-share.

I guess I am kind of surprised there is not more information about this issue out there. Maybe I have missed it. We have a whole new world of co-sharing and virtual offices. By my reading to do so risks one's placement in the 3-pack, which for me has been crucial to my business. But I will save a ton of money in using this co-share arrangement rather than signing a lease.

Is doing the SAB in GBP an answer?

Solution
Hi @Larry Linson, I thought I'd take a stab at this.

I've been reading your posts and I think this is the third post regarding essentially the same subject. I haven't contributed to the threads because as you've mentioned in this specific post, you've been getting very good advice from experienced forum members, including GBP experts like @keyserholiday.

I believe you've previously explained your situation pretty well and that the respondents have likewise understood your challenges. However, you are essentially trying to force a square peg into a round hole...

While a co-working/virtual space may work very well for you, the disadvantage is that Google typically frowns upon them for GBPs. Everyone who has replied to your...
You are saying I think yes a business can survive and thrive even though it does not meet Google My Business Guidelines? As I have said, my current 3 pack ranking is good. I think you are saying that 3 pack ranking for the new SAB would be based upon the location of new address, and theoretically I could do just as well in the 3 pack as I am now with a physical address?

You are saying I think yes a business can survive and thrive even though it does not meet Google My Business Guidelines? As I have said, my current 3 pack ranking is good. I think you are saying that 3 pack ranking for the new SAB would be based upon the location of new address, and theoretically I could do just as well in the 3 pack as I am now with a physical address?

If you get suspended for violating the TOS, it is currently taking 4 weeks to hear back from Google. It's risk vs reward. It's a foolish game to play. If you are looking for us to tell you to proceed forward with your plan, we won't do that. We are telling you how to proceed correctly. In all of your posts you have asked the same question in various ways, can I willfully violate Google's TOS and rank well while doing it? It's not advisable for you to proceed forward with your plan as it's a recipe for disaster. I have weighed in as a former GBP Product Expert and experienced spam fighter. I get paid to find and report business profiles that are violating the TOS. Either use your home and hide the address or get a real office with signage. That's it. Google is well aware of mail-forwarding businesses, hot desks, and coworking spaces. I am not sure how I can be any clearer. I have replied the same way on the following threads of yours. I am not missing the point or the context in them.
Thread 1.
Thread 2.
Thread 3.

I hope this finally answers your question once and for all. Don't do it or you will be sorry. Think of it like speeding, sure you can speed and you will get away with it for a while, but eventually you will get pulled over. Do you want to keep looking in your rearview mirror worried about cops, or do you want to drive in peace? I assure you if you play by the rules now, your business will thrive. If you proceed forward with your plan, you will get suspended and be offline until you A. bring your business profile into compliance and can prove to Google that you are a legit business. 97% of businesses are not prepared to apply for reinstatement. Do you know how to successfully apply for reinstatement? Are you prepared to be offline for 4 weeks if you get suspended? Can you survive a month or more of no income if you get suspended, but you will lose your map pack rankings while you are suspended? The choice is yours, this or that.

OK. Thanks Keyser!

This is a white hat forum, not a gray or black hat forum. The goal of this forum is to help people by speaking the truth and providing correct marketing advice. You have made it abundantly clear that you are looking for yes men and not for real advice. That runs contrary to this forum and community. If you proceed forward with your game plan, you will be sorry and you will reap what you sow.

Hey Guys! Please keep it friendly. We'll look into merging these duplicate threads but please refrain from pointing fingers or making accusations about people's intent. No one wins when we do that. 🙂

This is a white hat forum, not a gray or black hat forum. The goal of this forum is to help people by speaking the truth and providing correct marketing advice. You have made it abundantly clear that you are looking for yes men and not for real advice. That runs contrary to this forum and community. If you proceed forward with your game plan, you will be sorry and you will reap what you sow.

I am sorry that you feel like I am looking for someone to support what I have already planned to do. That is not the case - I am truly looking to understand my options and the consequences of those decisions. I thank you again for taking the time to respond to my questions.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom