More threads by Niki

Niki

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi, I manage a number of Google business profiles for clients.

In the past days I've seen a lot of changes happening to the Google business profile side panel, especially on Google Search desktop results.

There are a couple of issues that seem to have stuck:

1) Products have been removed from the side panel of desktop even though still featured on mobile (see attachments)

2) The Google Maps image on desktop within the side panel is not clickable (the "see photo" and "see outside" are ok)

These are quite significant issues, been like this for around a week, and I have not seen anyone point it out... is it just me?

I must stress that this is not the only business... but it is a widespread issue here affecting all businesses profiles.

Looking forward to the feedback. Thanks.

desktop.jpg

mobile.jpg

maps not clickable.jpg

I am not seeing this in french, but with GS location changer, I do see it. I also notice a completely new display for the reviews:
1706194561738.jpg

I am not seeing this in french, but with GS location changer, I do see it. I also notice a completely new display for the reviews:
1706194561738.jpg

Thanks for the info.

Yes, this new reviews display is showing for most businesses too.

I am starting to think that Google is using our area to test some different display formats...

Sounds like it. Have you tried profiles outside Malta? The maps link removal might well be an attempt to get around regulations against overintegration. I haven't been keeping up on what's going on in the EU in this area...

Just tried profiles outside Malta and non-EU.

They appear the same for me, that is, maps not clickable and with the new massive reviews display format...

1706198126159.jpg

1706198164251.jpg

Hi Niki and JS,

I believe that what you are seeing are Google tests in order to comply with the European Digital Markets Act (DMA) that comes into place on the 6th of March. Barry Schwartz has published several articles on this, the most recent I think is this one. However, there are already issues with Google’s changes, especially in the travel industry.

I recorded a video this morning to show the new SERP designs, for the query “restaurants near me”
Google

1. Change to search filters

The search filters no longer link to other Google services, such as Google Maps, Google News, Google Travel, Google Flights, etc.

This is a screenshot of the filters that appear for the search “restaurants near me”.

Search filters 2024-01-29 at 09.58.09.jpg

When clicking on the filters, a new SERP is shown, but there are no options to click to other Google Services.

1. Places Sites module

The “Places Sites” is replacing the “Find results on”.

Places Sites 2024-01-29 at 09.59.06.jpg

Google frequently tests the position of these “modules”. The majority of times I see the module above the local pack, however for the last few days the module is below the local pack.

1. No Connection to other Google Services

This is quite noticeable for hotels. The hotel local pack no longer links to Google Hotels. Instead, it is basically the local pack is the same as for any other industry. The hotel price comparison module still shows up. More on this at another time, hopefully…

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 11.27.19.jpg

1. New rich results format on Search

There is a new rich results module, where there is an image, a title and text showing different pages from a website.
New Schema 2024-01-26 at 12.55.04.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 11.23.01.jpg

1. Spam

Regardless of the query, page 3 of the results is generally filled with “Google spam”, that is results from Google Books.

Google Spam 2024-01-26 at 12.54.44.jpg

1. Google Ads carousel

We’ve seen this Google Ads carousel module for the last year as test, but we have confirmation since Christmas that this is now live.

mSGPvsK38MxKMdPUJMyB5yE6ZdxmYQDOOYcfEBVJPZUhZvs4VM.png

This Google Ads carousel is also shown in Google Hotels.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 11.31.02.jpg

I work mostly with hotels, so my focus is primarily on the travel industry. For the last 6 months, we’ve seen many different tests in SERPS’ for hotel and travel queries, flight queries, reviews, events, and travel forums.

The changes will have an impact, but we are not sure to what extent. I’ve actually been seeing the “new” DMA SERP for more than two weeks now, an extremely long time for a test compared to the previous tests which lasted anything between a few searches to two or three days maximum.

We’ve noticed the same issue with the link to Google Maps also very recently, and I had not seen that before. To me, it looks more like a bug, but I don’t know. There is still a link on the GBP page to Google Maps.

Fl7TsgsNFLyH15FdhXYbhil7T25p1ntCdC4IV9DOFRI0RViAOE.png

Hi Niki and JS,

I believe that what you are seeing are Google tests in order to comply with the European Digital Markets Act (DMA) that comes into place on the 6th of March. Barry Schwartz has published several articles on this, the most recent I think is this one. However, there are already issues with Google’s changes, especially in the travel industry.

I recorded a video this morning to show the new SERP designs, for the query “restaurants near me”
Google

1. Change to search filters

The search filters no longer link to other Google services, such as Google Maps, Google News, Google Travel, Google Flights, etc.

This is a screenshot of the filters that appear for the search “restaurants near me”.

Search filters 2024-01-29 at 09.58.09.jpg

When clicking on the filters, a new SERP is shown, but there are no options to click to other Google Services.

1. Places Sites module

The “Places Sites” is replacing the “Find results on”.

Places Sites 2024-01-29 at 09.59.06.jpg

Google frequently tests the position of these “modules”. The majority of times I see the module above the local pack, however for the last few days the module is below the local pack.

1. No Connection to other Google Services

This is quite noticeable for hotels. The hotel local pack no longer links to Google Hotels. Instead, it is basically the local pack is the same as for any other industry. The hotel price comparison module still shows up. More on this at another time, hopefully…

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 11.27.19.jpg

1. New rich results format on Search

There is a new rich results module, where there is an image, a title and text showing different pages from a website.
New Schema 2024-01-26 at 12.55.04.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 11.23.01.jpg

1. Spam

Regardless of the query, page 3 of the results is generally filled with “Google spam”, that is results from Google Books.

Google Spam 2024-01-26 at 12.54.44.jpg

1. Google Ads carousel

We’ve seen this Google Ads carousel module for the last year as test, but we have confirmation since Christmas that this is now live.

mSGPvsK38MxKMdPUJMyB5yE6ZdxmYQDOOYcfEBVJPZUhZvs4VM.png

This Google Ads carousel is also shown in Google Hotels.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 11.31.02.jpg

I work mostly with hotels, so my focus is primarily on the travel industry. For the last 6 months, we’ve seen many different tests in SERPS’ for hotel and travel queries, flight queries, reviews, events, and travel forums.

The changes will have an impact, but we are not sure to what extent. I’ve actually been seeing the “new” DMA SERP for more than two weeks now, an extremely long time for a test compared to the previous tests which lasted anything between a few searches to two or three days maximum.

We’ve noticed the same issue with the link to Google Maps also very recently, and I had not seen that before. To me, it looks more like a bug, but I don’t know. There is still a link on the GBP page to Google Maps.

Fl7TsgsNFLyH15FdhXYbhil7T25p1ntCdC4IV9DOFRI0RViAOE.png

Hi Lluc,

Thanks for the detailed answer. It gives a much better insight into what's happening... even though, as you said, it is all a bit up in the air at the moment with lots of changes and many things not working.

So I guess we can only expect more changes.

Do you report these bugs/issues anywhere specific?

Bongu Nikki,

From what I've seen for the last year I think this is what we will see in March. With regards to the travel industry, there have been some complaints from OTA's that the changes are not enough.... so, difficult to say really.

With regard to reporting bugs, I have not done so.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the description of the business does not seem to appear in the local pack when you click on one of the businesses. Do you see the description or Q&A's?

I am also curious to know if for a search like "adults only hotels in Malta" when you click on the business, the GBP profile comes up or does it take you to Google Hotels?

Bongu Nikki,

From what I've seen for the last year I think this is what we will see in March. With regards to the travel industry, there have been some complaints from OTA's that the changes are not enough.... so, difficult to say really.

With regard to reporting bugs, I have not done so.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the description of the business does not seem to appear in the local pack when you click on one of the businesses. Do you see the description or Q&A's?

I am also curious to know if for a search like "adults only hotels in Malta" when you click on the business, the GBP profile comes up or does it take you to Google Hotels?

Hi Lluc,

I am getting the GBP profile when I click on the local pack. See two screenshots below:

1706545746297.jpg

1706545642292.jpg

As of this morning everything seems back to normal for the Google business profile panel in desktop search results. Products are featuring again and the large reviews section is not there any longer.

The only thing that has stuck is that the Maps preview pic is still not clickable (the one next to "see photos" and "see outside"

Strange, I'm hearing from more people across Europe that they see the new layout.

Also, I'm now seeing it in Incognito...

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 09.58.37.jpg

Strange, I'm hearing from more people across Europe that they see the new layout.

Also, I'm now seeing it in Incognito...

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 09.58.37.jpg

I am not referring specifically to hotels but rather to the business profile panel that appears when you Google the name of a particular business, eg:

1706692453415.jpg

Understood. They are showing also in the local pack.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 13.53.42.jpg

However, they have no image and when I click on the product it leads me to this page that says the product can not be found.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 13.54.17.jpg

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom