Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
If you manage lots of listings (or maybe even just one) you've likely had a case of Google displaying an image other than the one you select. Or sometimes even a really bad image you don't want showing up in the Knowledge Graph front and center.

In one of the recent updates Google gave us the ability to mark our "Preferred" image.
But that's only a suggestion and the algo will still pick the image it thinks is best.

Matt Riggleman asked a question at the Pro Community that turned into a really good discussion,
so I wanted to be sure to share it here.

There are a few good references to using Schema, to help influence what shows in the Knowledge Graph.

<a href="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+MattRiggleman/posts/Q7Bb2hoEAKr">Discussion @ Local Search Pros Community</a>

Matt Riggleman asked:

Is there any way to tell Google which image to use for your branded search box in universal search? Right now, they're referencing our store walkthrough (good stuff) along with an outdated picture of the front of our building (not so good). Newer, better images do exist in our business profile. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Weighing in with some great insights were:

Gerry Foster, Jim Hinman, Bryan Heckler, Rachel Rossicone, Matt Riggleman, Chad Kimball, JD Milburn & Chad Russell.

I replied with something that many users don't know. Google does not like Logos.

I hear this frustration a lot at the forum too. Important re logos. You said: "but, at least for this purpose, Google doesn't reference our logo at all."

If you have a logo selected as your preferred image, know that Google has a bias against logos and will almost always pick a photo instead. Which one is a crap shoot. So if logo is selected I'd switch preference to one of your images.

So if you've ever had image problems like this, head over to hear what all the wise pros have to say.
<a href="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+MattRiggleman/posts/Q7Bb2hoEAKr">Discussion @ Local Search Pros Community</a>

Any questions? Any other tips to add?

CodyBaird

Reaction score
I would add that CONSUMERS hate your logo also. They love to see staff, your office inside and out, company parties etc. Visitors are just like you Mr business owner. They don't sit on facebook and instagram all day looking at logos.

Logos on GMB pages are a lame thing to try and hack. Even if you pull it off, the rest of the world thinks it's lame. The logo bounce rate is .000001 seconds IMO.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Linda Buquet How To Embed a Google Local Map the Easy Way - Local Pros Discuss Google My Business & Google Maps 4
A New Google Maps - The Pros Discuss Ramifications for Local SEO Google My Business & Google Maps 12
Linda Buquet Mojopages Rebrands as Local Stack & Pros Discuss Best Citations Citations 0
Linda Buquet Local Search Pros Discuss: Weekly Hours? Sales Activity vs Account Work? Consultant's Corner 1
Linda Buquet Are the days of $2,000 a month Local SEO clients over? Local Search Pros Discuss Consultant's Corner 0
micromano The Pros and Cons of Multiple Law Offices Recycle Bin 5
ganapathy Splitting multiple websites from one umbrella site is, What are the pros and cons from SEO Point of view? Marketing 7
Garrett Sussman How Wedding Industry Pros Build Perfect Listings On Review Sites Local Reviews 2
Eric Rohrback Expression Engine CMS - Pros & Cons Consultant's Corner 3
djbaxter Pros and cons of cyber insurance Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
Yosu Cadilla Has the "new" Google My Business launch been good or bad for Local SEO pros? Recycle Bin 0
mborgelt Why Aren't More Local Pros Talking about Content Marketing? Organic SEO 6
Linda Buquet DAVID Ignore [Local Search Pros] Moderated Posts Admin Stuff 8
E Re: Local Search Pros Google+ Community - Join Us! Recycle Bin 0
d2minc Completely Stumped. Any Onpage SEO Pros willing to take a look? Organic SEO 8
Linda Buquet Local Search Pros do a Ho-Ho-Holiday ▶ Dance Music Video Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 5
Linda Buquet Google Local Resources the Pros Need to Know Google My Business & Google Maps 0
L Local Search Pros: Costs for Local Videos? Consultant's Corner 6
L ▶ Content, Clicks, & Conversion: Online Marketing Pros tell their secrets - Video Local Content 0
Linda Buquet ▶ Content, Clicks, & Conversion: Online Marketing Pros tell their secrets - Video Local Content 0
Linda Buquet Deciphering Local Search with the Pros - Phil, David & Andrew (By Bird Marketing) Local Search 3
Linda Buquet Local Search Pros - How do you Prove your Worth to Clients? Consultant's Corner 3
Linda Buquet Local Search Pros Google+ Community - Join Us! Local Search 13
Linda Buquet BONUS: Google My Business Training for "Pros" Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Linda Buquet Outing a Fake Review Ring AND Review Puzzle for Local Pros Local Reviews 6
Linda Buquet Google+ Business Update - Pros and Cons of Merging Google Places Now Vs Waiting Local Search 4
T Calling All Local SEO Pros: How Do You Target Multiple Cities on Your Website? Multi-Location Issues 8
Travis Van Slooten Calling All Local SEO Pros: How Do You Target Multiple Cities on Your Website? Multi-Location Issues 8
JoyHawkins Which Conference is the Best for Local SEO Pros? Local Search 4
SpectateSwamp How about discussing local search... Like the Spectate one; everything a 50+ years of programming Geezer wants Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 3
keyserholiday Webinar 4/3 to discuss GMB and Covid-19 Events 3
JustinB Discussion: Local Link Building and Citations LLB Guide Local Search 1
M Latitude-Longitude Discussion Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Google Open Invite: Google My Business Discussion Panel at the Plex Google My Business & Google Maps 1
JoyHawkins Discussion: How Do You Choose Which Keywords to Target on the Homepage? Local Search 17
Dustybones Mike Blumenthal discusses reviews and how they motivate consumers Local Reviews 1
Dustybones MATT CUTTS: Discusses 404 and 410 errors and how Google deals with them. Local Search 0
Linda Buquet Chad Discussion Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 10
Phil Rozek Linda's Typo Discussion Removed Recycle Bin 2
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
JoshuaMackens Google Posts & Ranking Local Search 9
A Listing suspended due to account manager spamming? Google advise to create new GMB Local Search 5
djbaxter Webinar Get together with Google Search at Search Central Live - February 23, 2021 Events 0
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 2
Professor M Google slapped in France over misleading hotel star ratings Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
D Google Spam Fighting Question Google My Business & Google Maps 6
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
Lluc Google launches Years in Business in Search Google My Business & Google Maps 3