More threads by seomuse

seomuse

Reaction score
Hello,
As the title suggests I'm having some trouble figuring out the discrepancy in our organic vs local rankings. Here's some background:

Lash and beauty studio, single location, museandmaven.ca, domain registered June 2018
Previously operating under a different name and website, thelashdlife.ca, domain registered Aug 2017

Mar 2020 is significant because I rebranded & moved locations to one town over. Moved from Coquitlam to Port Moody. Started using the museandmaven.ca domain.

I created a new GMB page per Google's advice and then had Google transfer over my reviews to the new one. I believe the new GMB page was created early 2020 (could be earlier though)

I kept thelashdlife.ca operating with a notice saying we are now museandmaven.ca in order to eventually sunset thelashdlife.com domain.

The area I live in is commonly known as the Tri-Cities and consists of Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam and Port Moody (in order of population and search volume). Anecdotally, people would search "lash extensions coquitlam" if they were looking for lashes within Tri-Cities since Coquitlam is the main and biggest city.

Thelashdlife.com was dominating organic and local rankings into mid-late 2020 even while I let it go stale.

I have 301 redirects from thelashdlife.com to museandmaven.ca which were implemented sometime in Sept or Oct 2020.

As soon as 301 redirects were initiated, organic rankings for museandmaven.ca were first page for a lot of our keywords.

I have a few independent contractors running their beauty businesses within mine, Adina Beauty is one of them and she shows up (albeit low) for the eyelash extension keywords in question. Wild Oak Co is another (she's a SAB) and doesn't show up in the local search at all.

The problem: Other than for "lash lift port moody" we are almost or entirely invisible on maps for keywords that rank 1st page organically.

I pulled these 4 keywords which all rank 1st organically to demonstrate my conundrum.

lash lift port moody
lash lift coquitlam
lash extensions port moody
lash extensions coquitlam

Looking at our competition -- I think -- we're ticking all the boxes at least better than our competitors. For example, the backlink profile of our top competition is either spammy or very low count and from low authority domains to boot. We are a newer domain but a counter-point is that age of our domain hasn't impacted our success with "lash lift port moody".

Possum has been brought up since I have a couple other businesses operating within mine (mentioned above in background info). They both also do lash lifts. Adina does lash extensions + lash lifts. Any advice on how to properly set up our respective GMB pages given our business structure? In March I did remove the unit number from our GMB address wondering if having two businesses at the same unit number was the cause. Used Moz Local to update our NAP to reflect that change. It could be a coincidence but we had positive movement around then -- mid-late March is when we noticed that we were finally appearing in Maps for lash lift.

I know the 3 factors for Local are relevance, proximity and prominence. So being in Port Moody instead of Coquitlam now has an effect and will make ranking high for "lash extensions Coquitlam" difficult. But I'm confused why even for "lash extensions port moody" are we so low in local rankings when we're great organically? And invisible for eyelash extensions keywords?? Not even low or 5th page ranking...invisible! I would generally just say MORE BACKLINKS but since my competition isn't strong in this area I'm hoping for some advice if there's anything that's sticking out to you pros I can fix.

Thanks!

Attachments

• lash extensions port moody.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 465
  • lash extensions coquitlam.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 448
  • lash lift port moody.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 447
  • lash lift coquitlam.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 448
I have a few independent contractors running their beauty businesses within mine, Adina Beauty is one of them and she shows up (albeit low) for the eyelash extension keywords in question. Wild Oak Co is another (she's a SAB) and doesn't show up in the local search at all.

Possum has been brought up since I have a couple other businesses operating within mine (mentioned above in background info). They both also do lash lifts. Adina does lash extensions + lash lifts. Any advice on how to properly set up our respective GMB pages given our business structure? In March I did remove the unit number from our GMB address wondering if having two businesses at the same unit number was the cause. Used Moz Local to update our NAP to reflect that change. It could be a coincidence but we had positive movement around then -- mid-late March is when we noticed that we were finally appearing in Maps for lash lift.

This sounds like the issue. If not now, at some point in the future.

Another potential challenge is the GMB profile landing page. Currently it's the homepage, which makes sense for a single location business. However, the homepage isn't really optimized for the things you want the GMB page to rank for. I would test adding one of the keywords to the homepage title tag. Also, add some internal links from the homepage to the pages that go deep on the services you want the GMB to rank for, with good anchor text.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom