More threads by CannaLocal

CannaLocal

Reaction score
We've recently had some campaigns where, as soon as we optimize a Google My Business property, their searches and views go off a cliff. Actions seem to remain consistent, but searches and views just tank. It also seems like we're losing some of the direct searches in the process. What's strange is that we have the same process for all of our clients, but this only happens some of the time. And it seems to happen more frequently with multi-location businesses. Any idea what could be causing this? I can't figure out if mistakes are being made in the fulfillment process or if the process itself is broken. The only thing I can think it might be is Yext or the software we use to geotag and upload photos (Local Viking). Has anyone seen this before? Please help.

what usually happens.jpg

what we're seeing now.jpg

Hey!

It seems like your listing dropped off of Maps after a couple of months. The number of search views in the second screenshot is still similar to what's shown in the first one. It's just dropped from 99.5k to 97.4k views which can be explained simply through normal variance-dependent fluctuations. So, the 3-pack remains almost untouched. I think this is because Google has improved its understanding of your business over time and isn't listing you on useless Maps results anymore - As it seems like your engagement actions aren't affected by that drop, so I wouldn't worry about that. Just deactivate Maps views and you'll see there is no dramatic drop in the 3-pack rankings, the place where you actually wanna be found.

I hope that helps.

If the actions aren't dropping, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Spikes and dips in views happen all the time because of how useless that metric is. It literally counts everything. Running a rank tracker with 100 keywords on it usually adds 100 views.

Hey guys, Thanks for weighing in.

The screenshots I posted were from two totally different campaigns to show when our approach works vs. when it doesn't.

So I thought I'd post below screenshots from two different locations of a multi-store brand in Colorado. Both campaigns started at exactly the same time. Both got exactly the same treatment and digital optimizations. And one started to grow in searches, views and actions whereas the other went entirely in the opposite direction. The client has relayed that his sales are down in the location where searches and views bottomed out, while sales are growing at the other store.

I can't figure out why two stores that are part of the exact same chain would respond so differently. I know that searches and views are, to many, an irrelevant metric, but we've run some of our data through some AI systems, and have seen that exposure (searches & views) have a strong correlation to revenue for many of our clients. And if that's the case, I'd really love to be able to figure out why two locations are reacting so differently. Our business focuses on Maps properties in particular, so this decrease in exposure within the maps ecosystem is especially worrisome.

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 1.16.45 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 1.16.13 PM.jpg

It's really hard to guess at what's going on here without analyzing any of the data. I would try and isolate what keywords are dropping in search volume and then analyze how ranking and SERPs have changed for those keywords. If you use a rank tracker that has screenshots, this should be doable.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom