Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just wanted to share a response that I received from a Google employee that I received during some troubleshooter reporting that I was doing.

First of all, I'm not trying to bash Google employees who work in the support dept., in fact this particular employee has been incredibly responsive and helpful, which is usually the case. However, I was scratching my head when a response I got, indicated a level of knowledge that is way below what I had thought these employees are at. Here it is:

"Thanks for providing that screenshot, that's very interesting. I'm
surprised you're able to see this data, our systems are designed to only
display your statistics of 30 day periods at a time.
However,consider yourself lucky that you can view this, this is the first time
I've seen data older than 30 days on any listing.

If you wouldn't mind, and if you have time, could explain how you got to
view this? If not, that's totally fine."

Can anyone spot the reason why my jaw dropped at this response?

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
OMG Jaw hit floor. Me too! :rolleyes:

Well I'm still going to try to find a bright side in this and say that hopefully this signifies they are bringing new support people in who are still in training???

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
I was thinking/hoping that exact same thing Linda ;)

I think it can also serve as a lesson to really think about what Google employees are saying. Not everything should be taken at face value, because there always seems to be hidden meaning in responses, guidelines, etc. Whether it's intentional or not is the fun part.

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
HAHAHA Colan just sent me the employee's response:

Hello,

I am in awe right now, thank you for teaching me that and for providing
your helpful screenshot :) Since I was not aware of this, I reviewed this
with my team, and it appears that the only data we have is what is
displaying. Unfortunately, we're not sure why your previous data is not
displaying but there is nothing we can do to influence it to display.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your listing in the future
please reply back to this email thread and I will be happy to help.
Have a wonderful day~

---------- Post Merged at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:24 PM ----------

I also wanted to comment this makes me a little nervous since I constantly advise people to use the troubleshooter.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Ditto that Joy. It made me REALLY nervous, but since I've been busting Google's chops on so many things lately and am starting to sound so negative, I was just trying to look on bright side. BUT am totally with ya!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Rankings really low after suspension and delete/recreate of GMB Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 8
djbaxter How The Web is Really Built Websites, Software, and Security 0
Marty Twelves Local links: are they really that much better? Local Search 1
S Really bad GMB reviews, options? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Colan Nielsen Google Really Pushing Competitor Listings on Knowledge Panels and Branded Searches Google News: Important Changes & Features 4
rhealyn Is it really about relevance? Local listing update. Local Search 3
A Storage Units - Are They REALLY Against The Rules? Local Search 3
Rich Owings Are unrelated categories really the kiss of death? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
H Google My Business Bulk - Really backed up???? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
C Who REALLY Knows How Much "Optimization" Is Just Wheel Spinning Google My Business & Google Maps 10
P Really long business & domain name with articles in it, what should we do? Local Search 5
J Does adding an SSL really boost ranking ? Local Search 17
stryker Google picked up a really weird title from my new website. Local Search 3
S Will the SSL Deadline by Google in October Really Be A Factor in Rankings? Local Search 18
JoshuaMackens Ranking for a City When You're in the City But Not Really Local Search 11
Gsmithmike Different websites under one IP is it really a bad practice? Local Search 2
DGDMarketing Really Need The Experts On This One :( Help & Support for Google Local 2
Gsmithmike How to really remove these Spammy local pages Local Search 3
360 Spin Scaling Geo-Targeted Local Landing Pages That Really Rank and Convert Local Search 0
Linda Buquet Can we Really Ditch Ranking Reports due to Pigeon? Local Search 13
Linda Buquet Did the CEO of Yodle Really Just Say That? Re: Local Reviews Advice? Local Reviews 3
M I Really Want the New Places Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet If Google Was a Guy - Funny Video - But Google Local is Really a SHE Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 6
djbaxter What Google does with duplicate content: Nothing really Organic SEO 5
Chris_Gregory How much does cheap SEO really cost? Consultant's Corner 0
G How Many F Bombs Can you Drop on Google When you are Really Really Mad? Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Linda Buquet How the Google Local Algo Really Works - What Rules the Ranking Order Google My Business & Google Maps 29
MiriamEllis How Much Does Sheer Review Count Really Matter? Local Reviews 6
L Can I really do anything about local search cheaters? Spam on Google 5
Colan Nielsen This Guy Really Annoys Me Mod Squad 1
Optimize Prime A REALLY cool way to get your Google+ page to stand out! Google My Business & Google Maps 8
G Top Listing For These Sites? Really? How? Ranking Puzzles 9
G Top Listing For These Sites? Really? How? Ranking Puzzles 9
Linda Buquet Is Google Local Really this Broken? Who's in Charge? What's the Solution? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
MiriamEllis Is G+ Local Sentiment Analysis Worth A Hang? Really? Local Search 4
Jo Shaer Not really Places related but hope someone can help Local Search 1
Tim Colling GMB Insights call report wrong by a factor of 3 - Surprising? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
Linda Buquet 16 SEO Experiments with Surprising Results That Will Change How You Do SEO Organic SEO 2
Linda Buquet Surprise! Google Top 100 Most Expensive Keywords - Lots of Local Nuggets in Here Local Search 9
A Multiple locations in GMB - only one result in Google search Multi-Location Issues 3
harmony Another Google Local Ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 11
V How to mark service area in Google Maps, GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 2
k.ivanova Google Maps - Base Maps vs Satellite view discrepancy Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Lluc Google showing large favicons/logos for "people also searched for" in the search bar auto-complete suggestions Google News: Important Changes & Features 2
J Duplicate listings on Google ( GMB Listings ) popping up a lot lately - listing being 'stolen' by someone else... Local Search 2
DangGood Missing Google Guaranteed Badge on Mobile only for one Category Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
C Google removing SAB's with no communication Service Area Businesses 3
M Google Maps Rankings are not Stable Google My Business & Google Maps 6
stankolev What is the maximum number of categories single Google My Business listing can have? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
Chris Ratchford Google Ads- Local Pack- one GMB location only? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1