Rich Owings

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a client that is splitting their business (retail and wholesale pharmacy). The existing website will 301 redirect to the retail pharmacy, which will get a new name and will move a little more than a mile away from their current location. Part of the reason for the rebrand is that it will now be a pharmacy + urgent care clinic.

So, NAPW -- new name, new address, same phone number, 301 redirect to new website. How will GMB handle this? Any chance I can change the name and address in their existing listing or am I going to end up with a new listing with the old one marked closed? Or...?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

jvaquino

Reaction score

Rich Owings

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
Hey Joy and jvaquino,

Apparently I lost track of this thread. Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

The wholesale biz does not share the same location or phone number, just name and website. I agree that I need to change every citation I can find.

Excellent point Joy. I think I would have remembered to do that anyway but a reminder never hurts.

So my plan is to update citations starting about two weeks out and then on opening day, change the NAW in GMB. Joy, do you think Google will let me get away with changing that much info or do you think it will trigger creation of a new listing?

Thanks!

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Rich,

Based on experience with some of these nightmare NAP situations you are probably better off starting fresh. If it was just a name change or just an address change I think you'd be fine, but when it's both and it also might be some new categories, it's just way too different.

Rich Owings

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
Ugh, that's what I was afraid of.

Their category is Pharmacy, which will stay the same. Their clinic will be eligible for a separate GMB listing as a Medical Clinic. You see this with CVS's Minute Clinics or Walgreen's Healthcare Clinics. Google treats them as a separate department and lists them as "located in" CVS or Walgreens.

Does that change your advice any?

Thank you, Joy!

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Rebrand and move but keeping phone number Moving or Name Changes 7
d2minc Client Rebranding and Moving - Same Site and Phone - New Name and Address Citations 3
L Between a Rock and a Hard Place on Google Local - Rebranding or Moving? Moving or Name Changes 12
Linda Buquet Between a Rock and a Hard Place on Google Local - Rebranding or Moving? Moving or Name Changes 12
B rebranded, moved across the street, then expanded to neighboring space, and more! Moving or Name Changes 1
B rebranded, moved across the street, then expanded to neighboring space, and more! Moving or Name Changes 1
L Google+ Local How to Move or Rebrand Local Listing Moving or Name Changes 0
Linda Buquet Google+ Local How to Move or Rebrand Local Listing Moving or Name Changes 0
B Rebranding: same services, same team, same address, new name, new URL Moving or Name Changes 9
J Same Location, Same Owners, Still a Restaurant, Total Rebrand Local Search 3
J Unable to change the custom URL link on YouTube for a rebranded business Local Content 2
Paul Gregory Rebrand for Local Spa - [new_brand].com OR [new_brand]spa.com? Local Search 7
j_holtslander Google preventing URL update for rebranded business Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Ted J. Rebranding a location Local Search 8
S Bad reviews for a rebranded business Google My Business & Google Maps 2
CodyBaird Rebrand. Will Google Remove the Reviews? Local Reviews 5
Linda Buquet Mojopages Rebrands as Local Stack & Pros Discuss Best Citations Citations 0
Linda Buquet Google Business View Rebrands (Again) PLUS More Maps Changes Google My Business & Google Maps 16
S Rebranding With Addition of New Office Moving or Name Changes 4
Scott Rawlins Rebranding With Addition of New Office Moving or Name Changes 4
L Rebrand or Name Change - Map Maker Says Open New & Close Old Moving or Name Changes 28
Linda Buquet Rebrand or Name Change - Map Maker Says Open New & Close Old Moving or Name Changes 28
Linda Buquet Rebranding and Name Change Problems on Google Local Local Search 5
billenross Moving from franchise to independent All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
rich_marlatt What is the GMB best practice for moving offices? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
L How to reset the address that has been hidden on GMB, if they move locations? Local Search 1
lincolnchan What to do when one business acquires another and moves into their location? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Jeffrey Marking GMB as moved Moving or Name Changes 12
Jason_Parks1 Moving Locations Google My Business & Google Maps 4
jpayne7 Business Moved Before GMB Verification (Postcard is Being Sent to Old Location) Moving or Name Changes 7
AndySimpson Your insights are moving - New Look for Insight Reports NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 7
A LSAs Moving to Auction Paid Search and Local Service Ads 12
Jim Froling Moving to a Containing Location Moving or Name Changes 5
rossdunn Verifying Business Moving Guidelines All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
SmallBizGeek Moved a business to a new address, but no confirmation PIN? Moving or Name Changes 1
M Business Suspended for Using Virtual Address, Moving to New Real Location Moving or Name Changes 4
raellovepie Map Snippet - KP under Popular Times | GMB moving it down? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Zdenek Horak Spam Moving company stehovanikutilek.cz Google Duplicates & Merges 4
Caroline S Maps Results Moving Down The Page? Anyone Else Seeing This ? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
mikepetersonwi Temporary move? Moving or Name Changes 1
jpayne7 Business Planning on Moving Multiple Times in Short Timeframe Moving or Name Changes 2
Scott ClientClicks Move + Name Change: Possible to keep GMB? Moving or Name Changes 3
Rich Owings Moving SAB long distance Moving or Name Changes 9
FriarTuck00 Moving, but Might Reopen Old Location Later - What to Do? Moving or Name Changes 1
M SAB Moving - Best Practices for 2020 Recycle Bin 0
djbaxter New features in Search Console to help you move your site Moving or Name Changes 0
A SAB Moving - Best Practices for 2020 Moving or Name Changes 2
MonicaH SAB moving from primary target location to non-target location - best way to handle GMB? Moving or Name Changes 4
Rich Owings SAB with hidden address moving their office - How to handle in GMB? Service Area Businesses 5
G Moved my business and listing got suspended. Why? Google My Business & Google Maps 3