More threads by Jacki Kearslake

Reaction score
Hello from Australia,

A client is rebranding their practice in the first quarter of next year. I'd love someone to cast their eyes over my plan and offer suggestions

In this scenario, the practice is changing
  • the practice name
  • domain name
  • the website's theme (WordPress site built circa 2014, so definitely in need of a visual refresh!)
  • and branding (new logo, brand colours etc.).
All other details remain the same
  • address
  • phone number
  • principal practitioner and staff
  • website content - this was all updated and optimised last year
This practice doesn’t yet have a presence on Facebook or any other social platforms, but the practitioner is open to establishing a presence as they rebrand their practice.

I've looked at the brilliant Rebranding your Business checklist that has been mentioned in many posts I've read and have adjusted it to (hopefully) fit this scenario. Is this the correct approach?
  1. Launch the new practice website first
  • The logo reflects the new name
  • Ensure that the new practice name replaces the old one across the site
    • On pages such as the About Us page
    • The page titles and description
    • Schema
    • image titles and alt text (some images will, of course, be new: I won't bring across any photos that have the old name, except perhaps on the About us page)
  • Include a statement on the Home page and About Us page that the practice rebranded from Old Name to New Name on {date of change}.
  1. As the new site is launched, take down the current site and redirect pages from the old site to the new site using 301 redirects
3. Update Google Business Profile​
  • Week 1
    • Update the business name
    • Edit the description to reflect the name change
    • Upload photos of the rebranded practice - logo, outside with signage, business cards, etc
    • Publish a Google post announcing the name change
  • Week 2
    • Update the domain name (I’m assuming a slow pace is less likely to confuse Google)
    • Upload a few more photos of the rebranded practice
4. Update practice details in important data providers and directories (I'll engage Whitespark for their assistance)​
  • Australian Dental Association listing and other significant professional directories
  • Major data providers
  • Key directories
5. Establish a Facebook Page for the newly-branded practice. Make mention that the practice was formerly called Old Name and is now called New Name.​

Am I missing anything?

Solution
Thanks for using Whitespark, Jacki! Here are a few other places I thought of that you would want to update:
  1. Signage on the building, in the office, etc.
  2. Government business registry - because this data can get fed back to Google and they could update your listing.
  3. Phone and utility companies - same problem with it feeding back to Google.
Thanks for using Whitespark, Jacki! Here are a few other places I thought of that you would want to update:
  2. Government business registry - because this data can get fed back to Google and they could update your listing.

Solution

Thanks, Darren,

The building and street signage are all happening as part of the brand change. We'll be moving quickly to get photos on the new website and GBP :)

I didn't think of utility companies at all! The new entity has already been registered with the Australian business registry, but your comments have made me think there might be some other critical pieces that need to be on my radar.

Thanks a million :)

You would want to change your site/domain inside Google Search Console too:

And update your Google Analytics to the new URL.

Hello from Australia,

A client is rebranding their practice in the first quarter of next year. I'd love someone to cast their eyes over my plan and offer suggestions

In this scenario, the practice is changing
  • the practice name
  • domain name
  • the website's theme (WordPress site built circa 2014, so definitely in need of a visual refresh!)
  • and branding (new logo, brand colours etc.).
All other details remain the same
  • address
  • phone number
  • principal practitioner and staff
  • website content - this was all updated and optimised last year
This practice doesn’t yet have a presence on Facebook or any other social platforms, but the practitioner is open to establishing a presence as they rebrand their practice.

I've looked at the brilliant Rebranding your Business checklist that has been mentioned in many posts I've read and have adjusted it to (hopefully) fit this scenario. Is this the correct approach?
  1. Launch the new practice website first
  • The logo reflects the new name
  • Ensure that the new practice name replaces the old one across the site
    • On pages such as the About Us page
    • The page titles and description
    • Schema
    • image titles and alt text (some images will, of course, be new: I won't bring across any photos that have the old name, except perhaps on the About us page)
  • Include a statement on the Home page and About Us page that the practice rebranded from Old Name to New Name on {date of change}.
  1. As the new site is launched, take down the current site and redirect pages from the old site to the new site using 301 redirects
3. Update Google Business Profile​
  • Week 1
    • Update the business name
    • Edit the description to reflect the name change
    • Upload photos of the rebranded practice - logo, outside with signage, business cards, etc
    • Publish a Google post announcing the name change
  • Week 2
    • Update the domain name (I’m assuming a slow pace is less likely to confuse Google)
    • Upload a few more photos of the rebranded practice
4. Update practice details in important data providers and directories (I'll engage Whitespark for their assistance)​
  • Australian Dental Association listing and other significant professional directories
  • Major data providers
  • Key directories
5. Establish a Facebook Page for the newly-branded practice. Make mention that the practice was formerly called Old Name and is now called New Name.​

Am I missing anything?

I always update the Google Business Profile last. I create update citations, social and website first then update Google. So engage with Whitespark first then update the Google profile.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom