More threads by Matt Chauhan

Matt Chauhan

Reaction score
I came across a service that Regus offices offer: basically we can pay a monthly membership and receive a business address at their office.

They say that many companies use this to have their Google My Business listing as that office if they don't have an official office.

I'm thinking since Regus has offices in most major cities, this could be a good way to have GMB listings in various cities as a business expand.

Is there any downside to this? Can we simply use their address to receive the GMB postcard, then hide our address from the public for a service area-based business?

P.S. This is for a service area-based business in Mill Creek, Washington. They already have a GBP in Mill Creek (with a hidden address) and performing very well locally.

Is there any downside to this? Can we simply use their address to receive the GMB postcard, then hide our address from the public for a service area-based business?

Businesses with a hidden address, also known as pure service area businesses are not allowed to have listings at virtual offices according to the Google business profile guidelines.

Businesses with a hidden address, also known as pure service area businesses are not allowed to have listings at virtual offices according to the Google business profile guidelines.

That is completely understood. But how can we open a GBP profile in a particular city if nobody lives there for a home address service area business? For example this business: Home - Aussie Pet Mobile

How are they doing it? Check out their Google Business Profiles:

There is a major difference between what is allowed and what Google enforces. While this is not allowed, some businesses slip under the radar. It's a matter of time before they get caught and get suspended. Google could hit them with an account-level suspension and remove even their legit business profiles.

Then what exactly we should do if we wish to expand to a city that does not have an "owner" living in it? For example, if I wish to open up a location in Portland, Oregon, but I do not own property there, how do I do this?

Then what exactly we should do if we wish to expand to a city that does not have an "owner" living in it? For example, if I wish to open up a location in Portland, Oregon, but I do not own property there, how do I do this?

You won’t be able to open a GBP here. You need to use paid ads to target that market.

Hi Again,

Just want to make sure for the last time that I am not missing anything here.

While creating a new GBP for a new location, is it possible to verify the listing without entering any address (leaving the address field blank) and keep the GBP purely service-area based??????

I think it's not possible because we will need a home address to get the postcard for verification. Am I right?

Hi Again,

While creating a new GBP for a new location, is it possible to verify the listing without entering any address (leaving the address field blank) and keep the GBP purely service-area based??????

I think it's not possible because we will need a home address to get the postcard for verification. Am I right?

I read this on the GBP help center and I understand that service area-based businesses can create a new GBP by hiding their address and getting postcards for verification to their mailing address. Can that mailing address be a Regus address? Or is there a way we can get verified the GBP of a SAB if we chose to hide the address while creating it? Apologies for too many messages. I just want to give the right and the best advice to our client.

Last edited:
Hi Again,

You can not and will not be able to create a business profile in any market that is not staffed. What you are wanting to do is 100% forbidden by Google. You are out of options.

We will be staffed in that market. It's just that, we don't want to display our address.

Again, I am going to reiterate what I said here. If you create business profiles that are outside of the guidelines and TOS, they can be suspended. You may also get hit with an account-level suspension where all of the locations, even the valid ones get suspended. What you are proposing is outside of the guidelines.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom