rickvidallon

Reaction score
I have +50 great reviews which are a mix or current and past reviews. Back when I started doing this Google did not encourage that businesses reply to great reviews; but only to negative ones. In any case I thought it best not to reply to all my positive reviews to prevent long scrolling. (make sense eh?) Or maybe I should; but seems to me to be a little self-serving. Feedback would be appreciated. (Excuse the slow scroll on the video; but I figure I would keep this on hand in case those knuckle-heads at Google lost my reviews. LOL

Ampere

Reaction score
I never replied to my reviews either. I am going to start doing it, but I wonder if I should go back and reply to the older reviews.

rickvidallon

Reaction score
I'm still on the fence. Think I would rather have a short scroll since adding replies will make for a much longer scroll for potential customers to see more of my reviews.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Keep in mind that as of last year Google started sending notifications to the reviewer when you reply as the business owner. To me this is an invaluable customer service and retention tool and for that reason we recommend responding to all reviews.

Ampere

Reaction score
Keep in mind that as of last year Google started sending notifications to the reviewer when you reply as the business owner. To me this is an invaluable customer service and retention tool and for that reason we recommend responding to all reviews.
Do you mean that we should go back and respond to reviews that are many years old, in order to alert the old customer of our presence and remind them to use our service again?

That's my main question, whether it would be good to reply to the reviews or if it would look petty to do it now.

Ampere

Reaction score
It depends. I've seen responding to old reviews work well and have also see them cause more harm than good.

I wouldn't respond to anything that's more than a year old.
Perfect, 1 year it is.

Can I ask what negative things you saw happen? Just curious.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
The worst scenario I saw was when a business responded to a less than favorable review well over a year later and the person who left the review was reminded of the awful service. The response itself wasn't great so it compounded the issue in the reviewers mind.

Brian.Hastie

Reaction score
To those who send business responses: Do you reply to all reviews, or only those with content in them?

leilamartin

Reaction score
We respond to the reviews as soon as possible. My feeling is that if they can go to the "effort and take the time " of writing a review, we can respond in turn and make it a genuine response. I know some from years ago we did not respond but we've changed that and make sure we reply

Adam Bament

Reaction score
With my medical practice, I reply to all reviews ASAP - usually within 24 hours.

Whenever practical, I also personally phone patients who have left a negative review (once I have the back story from staff/doctors). This almost always results in the patient changing their 1 or 2-star review to a 5-star review. It also helps us keep a patient that would have otherwise gone somewhere else, all while dissing us in the process.

I've found that many people, especially Gen Y and younger, view online reviews as live documents to be updated as they feel is necessary.

Ryanl

Reaction score
I’ve always responded to reviews. I’ve even had customers say they loved that about us. We’re responsive. I think it shows a level of responsibility. I had a bad review that I responded really well to. Had a lady once tell me she called us because of the way I handled that review. She bought!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
LocalSEODat Need help with a suspended GMB - Client had home address as place of biz, then suspended. Fixed to meet customers and got reply with no reason Service Area Businesses 6
Phil Rozek Reply not posting after hitting "Post reply" Forum Tech Support 6
A spammer replying to ancient posts to boost his post count Recycle Bin 4
djbaxter NEW New feature: You can now bump a thread if no one has replied to your question How To Guides 1
P Replying to All GMB Reviews: Rank Impact? Local Reviews 8
NevenaIvanova Review replies disappeared from Google Google My Business & Google Maps 9
F Replied to some stupid chain email, ended up getting my Google account disabled, got back on, now all my GMB listings are 'Suspended' but live in maps Google My Business & Google Maps 6
keyserholiday Google review replies are working again. Local Reviews 6
djbaxter How to post or reply How To Guides 0
V Google My Business script using GMB API - auto replies, question notifications, post scheduling Local SEO Tools & Software 0
LocalSEODat Hey Gang - if you get high volume of reviews and only reply to positive ones, is that a bad thing? Local Reviews 2
Cordell Crowley Google My Business Review: Auto-Suggested Reply Google My Business & Google Maps 8
raellovepie Google Messaging shows if it came from KP Quote button. Great for tracking & reply context. Google My Business & Google Maps 0
JoyHawkins Technical Issues Impacting Review Replies Local Reviews 2
M Notification of replies to reviews Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Replies to reviews all disappeared Help & Support for Google Local 4
Ray Litvak Replying to a positive Google Review Local Reviews 3
R Reply from Google about new maps not listing client correctly TODAY !!! MUST READ!! Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Jo Shaer How Do I Reply To Google Reviews On The New Dashboard Local Reviews 2
Linda Buquet David - replies via email Mod Squad 4
S Spammer Copied Reply Re: The REAL Secret to Ranking in Google Local Recycle Bin 1
djbaxter Recover Lost Text When Posting or Replying to a Thread Forum Tech Support 2
Linda Buquet Sample Mod Replies - Copy and Use if Needed Mod Squad 3
Linda Buquet Massive Google Review Problems Continue - Support Replies Local Reviews 1
JoyHawkins Get Custom Responses to Online Reviews Local Reviews 3
Colan Nielsen NEW Claim your listing on BrightLocal's Agency Directory: Get in front of relevant customers and win leads LSF News and Announcements 3
djbaxter How To Use the new noindex and force redirect custom addon for threads Admin Stuff 0
djbaxter Testing new noindex and force redirect custom addon by TickTackk Admin Stuff 0
Steve Attarian Has anyone had luck removing a Review by a non customer that gave one star because she noticed that the staff didn't wear masks when she walked by? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
annatindal GMB Customer Uploaded Photos Question All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
Eoghan_MFeed Great customer review we pulled in for a client Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
J Unable to change the custom URL link on YouTube for a rebranded business Local Content 2
S 1-star review (not by customer) Can this be removed? Local Reviews 9
T Will GMB consider a review placed by a customer who was taken to court for a Judgement recovered by the business as Spam or Fake Comment? Local Reviews 1
K Customer wants to add a tracking number across all of his Citations NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
L Big Drop in the number of new reviews made by customers Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Google Allows a Custom List of Services to GMB Listings Service Area Businesses 14
Claire Carlile No 'message you' data showing in Customer actions Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Custom Map Creation and Their Effects on Ranking Google Local 101 3
djbaxter Bank employee gives customer's business negative Google Review after frustrating phone call Local Reviews 1
M Customer Journey Tools Local SEO Tools & Software 1
L Google now allows Site Owners to Customize the Search Results Snippets, but what can be customized? Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
rickvidallon Adding Custom Services to GMB Service Area Businesses 9
djbaxter Custom BBCode to force nofollow links Local Search Experts Forum 0
Chris Ratchford Anyone familiar w/ Advanced Custom Fields (for WordPress)? Consultant's Corner 6
Monica Simpson FB message for Customer service Citations 5
Ellen Organization Has GMB Listing but Serves No Customers Google My Business & Google Maps 4
JoshuaMackens Customer Heat Map Consultant's Corner 7
cleverlyengaged Multiple reviews from customers are not displaying on client's GMB profile. Nothing for 9 months. Local Reviews 6
Cordell Crowley New? Google Auto-Generating "Suggested Post" w/ Customer Review Google My Business & Google Maps 2